Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching Wheel Sizes, How does the car know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Don't have my car yet, not until August... But I had a question that I couldn't find the answer to.

I will be getting a set of extra 19" wheels and winter tires thanks to MinneSnowta winters.

So, when swapping between, does the car know and adjust the range accordingly? As I u derstand, it has the option to display rated range or range based on driving history.

Sorry, I am very curious without having a car to play with yet!

Thanks,
Pete

Rated range or ideal range are the choices in the US. Rated range is based on the EPA 265 mile range, and ideal range is 300 miles at 55mph flat ground, no hvac, no wind, etc. Rated range is more useful to me.

It sounds to me from all I've read that they affect the range, but not nearly as much as the amount of wind, or the rain, or slight elevation changes, etc.
Everything you do affects range to some extent, and can have a fairly significant effect on how far you can go, wheels are just one more in the list, but not one of the bigger factors.