Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Just FYI - we have a new supercharger in the Valais arriving :D

see screenshot from the supercharge.info website

Best

P.S. - Peter Greis, welcome to the club!

2016-06-07 16_28_48-supercharge.info - Internet Explorer.png

Hello all,

Just FYI - we have a new supercharger in the Valais arriving :D

see screenshot from the supercharge.info website

Best

P.S. - Peter Greis, welcome to the club!

View attachment 179824

Just as a followup I went to visit the charger to see the state of construction... still a long way to go! See picture of the construction site..

Also - the motorway that this is close to is still not finished

IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0340.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Picking up my P90D on the 18th of August. Quick question - has anyone found the need to have a Tesla to Chademo adapter ?
Hello! Congrats, no doubt you will have fun with this great car.
I've had my S85D for about 15 months now, never encountered the need for a Chademo adapter. Actually, outside home, I was always able to charge at Superchargers, except one time at a hotel who provided a 16A outlet. I guess it will depend on your pattern of use, not much risk in not buying it now, seeing how it goes and deciding later, I would say :)

Picking up my P90D on the 18th of August. Quick question - has anyone found the need to have a Tesla to Chademo adapter ?

Same here, I have a Chademo adapter since nearly one year: never used it, even for testing purpose. Supercharger are spread enough but I have taken one as a backup to have a somewhat quick charging alternative just in case. I think you don't need hurry to buy one (that said, it become cheaper and cheaper as time going and I think a CSS adapter would be better if it exist one day)

This summer's vacation experience:
I started at home with my family (near Zurich/Bülach/Airport), visiting friends in Toggenburg (where we stayed over night, one night), continuing to Grindelwald, where my wife and daughter stayed.
I drove back to a friend of mine, living halfway between Luzern and Zug (Gisikon/Root exit), started a road trip with him spending one week in France: Lorient, Brest, St. Malo. Back to near Luzern, and to Grindelwald then to join my family.

About 4000km. Charging:
- 30min during a stay near a playground for my daughter, in Wattwil, Typ 2, for free
- Grindelwald, in our garage, CEE16 outlet (Tesla Universal Mobile Connector)
- Destination Chargers in the hotels
- Brest, FRA, Ikea: Type 2 outlet (there would be a chademo also).

Rest supercharging. Never missed a chademo.

This summer's vacation experience:
I started at home with my family (near Zurich/Bülach/Airport), visiting friends in Toggenburg (where we stayed over night, one night), continuing to Grindelwald, where my wife and daughter stayed.
I drove back to a friend of mine, living halfway between Luzern and Zug (Gisikon/Root exit), started a road trip with him spending one week in France: Lorient, Brest, St. Malo. Back to near Luzern, and to Grindelwald then to join my family.

About 4000km. Charging:
- 30min during a stay near a playground for my daughter, in Wattwil, Typ 2, for free
- Grindelwald, in our garage, CEE16 outlet (Tesla Universal Mobile Connector)
- Destination Chargers in the hotels
- Brest, FRA, Ikea: Type 2 outlet (there would be a chademo also).

Rest supercharging. Never missed a chademo.
Excellent! Looks like we are neighbours. I'm in Rafzerfeld and picking up my 90d on 26.9 in Winterthur. Let's see if we run into eachother one day!

You're welcome to visit my car, charging station, chat... when ever you like. Dielsdorf, ZH.
Rafzerfeld is on my way to a customer in Schaffhausen I visit occasionally, and to Hauenstein, where I've been repeatedly.

Many drivers made the "mistake" to buy too much charging equipment too early (before even having/using the car), and then it lies around not being used.

I needed the Type 2 cable ONCE (!) in Wattwil - well, actually, I did not need to charge there, I did so, because it was a free opportunity. Of course the Tesla UMC in Grindelwald - and that's it.

You're welcome to visit my car, charging station, chat... when ever you like. Dielsdorf, ZH.
Rafzerfeld is on my way to a customer in Schaffhausen I visit occasionally, and to Hauenstein, where I've been repeatedly.

Many drivers made the "mistake" to buy too much charging equipment too early (before even having/using the car), and then it lies around not being used.

I needed the Type 2 cable ONCE (!) in Wattwil - well, actually, I did not need to charge there, I did so, because it was a free opportunity. Of course the Tesla UMC in Grindelwald - and that's it.
Great! Let's meet up sometimes. I have the 11kwh charging station already installed and was not considering any additional purchases outside of what is standard. Would be great to compare notes. Let me know when you are around. 26/9 is my delivery day so any tips would be great!

I have been asked what charging équipement I have got and decided to post this here, hoping it might prove helpful for others too.

As for Type 2 charging
- Tesla UMC (1×, comes with car, not a second one). That is always in the car.
- Type 2 charging cable, 7.5 meters (or is it 7?), bought separately from Tesla for the good price they make. This is always in the car, also.
- A shorter 2 meters Type 2 charging cable. Stays at home.

Why did I do that/installation (see pictures):
A red CEE16 outlet is installed inside the garage. Then, there is an additional Swiss type T15 socket. All of this is useful to plug in everything we might ever use in the garage, including vacuum cleaner, and 3phase equipement also. Should I ever decide to park the Model S inside, the UMC could be used (never done). Or what ever charging cable, should the second car be electric.
Separate electricity counter, and FI.

The car is outside. So I wanted a second possibility to charge, because running the cable or UMC through the garage window would annoy me in no time. And my wife, of course, fiddling the garage door open and getting her car out with a cable hanging around.

I got a hole drilled next to the garage door and a Type 2 charging wall box installed. I was thinking about one with a fixed cable, but decided against. The short 2m cable is much more convenient than a longer one would be that could reach around a car parked differently.

I leave the long 7m cable in the car. It is used abroad, when the length is needed, or when I can charge spontaneously and do not have the short one with me. It has only been used a few times so far.

The short 2m cable is at home, secured with a lock. That serves me as a quasi-fixed cable box. Only when I leave for vacancy or longer trips, it take it with me. It is just so much lighter and easier to use, when ever possible.

You can see the setup in the pictures attached to this post.

I did not want a second CEE16 outside instead of the wall box. This UMC would either have to be unplugged every day to have it with me, or a second one should have been bought for convenience, secured against theft. The long cable would be an unnecessary hassle around the car. Plus: a CEE16, exposed to the public (and children) is potentially dangerous. There's always the possibility someone fiddling around could be seriously injured or killed.

Attachments

• 20160912_200154.jpg
    20160912_200154.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 20160912_200217.jpg
    20160912_200217.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20160912_200557.jpg
    20160912_200557.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 0_myTesla_daheim_00.JPG
    0_myTesla_daheim_00.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 113
Extra equipement to use the Tesla UMC when not at home:

- Cable 15m, CEE16 plug to CEE16 socket, used when ever the UMC cable is too short (car too far away from the outlet).
- Adapter Swiss T15 type plug to CEE16 socket
- Adapter Euro/German/French... "Schuko" type plug to CEE16 socket
- Adapter CEE32 type plug to CEE16 type socket. Never used so far.

These can be seen in the images attached. The T15 is used in Switzerland, a 3 phase 10A connection. I used it in Grindelwald, with the extra 15 meter cable. The washing machine used the same socket.
(By now, my father in law got a CEE16 installed in the garage right next to where the car is. I would only have to use the T15 when the car has to stay outside.)

The Schuko is just to common not to have one. Used it when we visited friends in Frankfurt. 1 Phase, 10A max, depending on the installation.

Note:
This way to use the Tesla UMC is not recommended or covered by Tesla. The extra cable adapters make the UMC think it uses a red CEE16 always, delivering 16A on all 3 phases. You MUST reduce charging power by limiting the maximum current in the car!
I use: 8A / 3phase in Grindelwald, less when I am not sure about the quality of the installed connections. 10A when everything is perfect (10A is maximum for a T15 connection. Tesla UMC would be capable of 16A.)

Schuko: less than the 10A people think Schuko is made for. I only used it once so far. 5A in friend's garage in Frankfurt, there was way enough time.

What would I recommend to change:
- no need of the CEE32 so far. Could have left that one out.
- buy a blue CEE 16 1 phase adapter if you visit camping grounds or marinas often and have to charge there ("caravan/camping Stecker")
- buy "Phasendreher" piece of cable when you Must charge using Schuko in France.

That's it.
I do not need the T15 anymore by now (upgraded garage in Grindelwald ), and did not absolutely need the Schuko charge, as there are Type 2 chargers around.

PM me if you need a good supplier of the Adapters for a very reasonable price.

Attachments

• 20160912_200334.jpg
    20160912_200334.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20160912_200357.jpg
    20160912_200357.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Love
Reactions: Jaro73
"Old" Grindelwald charging solution, and the new, hmm... more "elegant" one.

Attachments

• gw_laden_a.jpg
    gw_laden_a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 114
  • gw_laden_c.jpg
    gw_laden_c.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 110
  • gw_laden_d.jpg
    gw_laden_d.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 107
  • gw_laden_e.jpg
    gw_laden_e.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 109
  • gw_laden_f.jpg
    gw_laden_f.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 20160813_124109.jpg
    20160813_124109.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Love
Reactions: Jaro73
Extra equipement to use the Tesla UMC when not at home:

- Cable 15m, CEE16 plug to CEE16 socket, used when ever the UMC cable is too short (car too far away from the outlet).
- Adapter Swiss T15 type plug to CEE16 socket
- Adapter Euro/German/French... "Schuko" type plug to CEE16 socket
- Adapter CEE32 type plug to CEE16 type socket. Never used so far.

These can be seen in the images attached. The T15 is used in Switzerland, a 3 phase 10A connection. I used it in Grindelwald, with the extra 15 meter cable. The washing machine used the same socket.
(By now, my father in law got a CEE16 installed in the garage right next to where the car is. I would only have to use the T15 when the car has to stay outside.)

The Schuko is just to common not to have one. Used it when we visited friends in Frankfurt. 1 Phase, 10A max, depending on the installation.

Note:
This way to use the Tesla UMC is not recommended or covered by Tesla. The extra cable adapters make the UMC think it uses a red CEE16 always, delivering 16A on all 3 phases. You MUST reduce charging power by limiting the maximum current in the car!
I use: 8A / 3phase in Grindelwald, less when I am not sure about the quality of the installed connections. 10A when everything is perfect (10A is maximum for a T15 connection. Tesla UMC would be capable of 16A.)

Schuko: less than the 10A people think Schuko is made for. I only used it once so far. 5A in friend's garage in Frankfurt, there was way enough time.

What would I recommend to change:
- no need of the CEE32 so far. Could have left that one out.
- buy a blue CEE 16 1 phase adapter if you visit camping grounds or marinas often and have to charge there ("caravan/camping Stecker")
- buy "Phasendreher" piece of cable when you Must charge using Schuko in France.

That's it.
I do not need the T15 anymore by now (upgraded garage in Grindelwald ), and did not absolutely need the Schuko charge, as there are Type 2 chargers around.

PM me if you need a good supplier of the Adapters for a very reasonable price.
Can you recommend a local Swiss supplier for the 15m, CEE16 plug to CEE16 socket?