Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swivel Screen : Warranty Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d love for mine to tilt. Makes the driving position more focused. There are rumors the new S horizontal display tilts but not yet functioning.
I’d only worry about warranty work if it’s display related. So something like attempting to get a repair for random black or blank screen, even though we all know it is caused by a software reboot, might be cause for warranty deny. Even for something like the yellowing on the S screen might be denied if they see something like that. Still. the mod on a 3 seems pretty simple to revers if you ever had to bring it back in.

I would assume if you have screen issues they may question repairing them under warranty. My question is "is it actually useful"? Or is it just a "look at me and how cool I am" mod?

Keith
I put a swivel in my Y and it's great. Looks like it came from the factory, no ugly cloth cover like other choices. I would do it again in a heartbeat (as a note - I could care less what other people think). This is the one I have: Screen Swivel Mount Kit | TESLAMIZE

I put a swivel in my Y and it's great. Looks like it came from the factory, no ugly cloth cover like other choices. I would do it again in a heartbeat (as a note - I could care less what other people think). This is the one I have: Screen Swivel Mount Kit | TESLAMIZE
Is that one (or most of them? Not sure if these are really unique or just rebranded manufactured parts) a hinge that clicks into defined left/center/right positions, or can you move the display to any angle between the left and right limits?

Aliexpress has these for about $90 shipped
1625381117148.jpeg

Is that one (or most of them? Not sure if these are really unique or just rebranded manufactured parts) a hinge that clicks into defined left/center/right positions, or can you move the display to any angle between the left and right limits?
Yes, they seem to be all the same. You can move left to right and it will hold the angle set for a while. My pivot tension slowly went away and it moved too easily (for my taste). I have locked it into a stationary position as there is no reason to adjust once I found my ideal spot.

The image above, from Ali Express, looks like the exact same unit. I have had good luck with Ali Express in the past. It's a solid, well executed, device and fits quite well.

The indexing/detents are there, but they are pretty soft and loose in the center position. Maybe 5-10 degrees of play once the index for center is hit.

It hasn't bothered me at all, though.

Reactions: Darblish
Yes, they seem to be all the same. You can move left to right and it will hold the angle set for a while. My pivot tension slowly went away and it moved too easily (for my taste). I have locked it into a stationary position as there is no reason to adjust once I found my ideal spot.

The image above, from Ali Express, looks like the exact same unit. I have had good luck with Ali Express in the past. It's a solid, well executed, device and fits quite well.

The first one of these I saw was over $250 and I didn't think it would be worth the money at that price. When I saw this for less than $100 shipped I had to get one.

Is there a way to lock the position built into the kit, or did you have to figure out a way to lock it in place?

Keith

Reactions: BitJam
Is there a way to lock the position built into the kit, or did you have to figure out a way to lock it in place?

Keith
I am using a temporary solution until I'm motivated to pull the bracket out and add a set screw that I can access from above. My short term (read lazy) solution was to Shoe Goo the pivot (edges) in place. Oh, only use black Shoe Goo - link: Amazon.com: Shoe Goo, Black: Sports & Outdoors. When it dries (6 hours) it's extremely strong, grips like mad and is still slightly flexible. Plus, it can be removed with a good tug. Duct tape for 2021 hahahhahaahh. The bracket stays tight for about 6 weeks, then in my case, loosened up. It may have been because it was parked in a very hot location for a few days - not sure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
I installed mine and used it recently on 3k mile family road trip. It is definitely worth it and was used often. I particularly like the fact that the screen is dropped and tilted slightly, i feel that it gives a better view angle and moved the screen out of the way, a little more (down). I am not a fan of the cloth shrouding but honestly you cant even see it. We really don't notice it is there, so it is a moot issue.

As for buying the other cheaper options. It is my understanding that "Tech Forums" is the company/guy who designed and built the mounting bracket originally. I didn't research to great length if this was actually true but I feel it important to give this guy credit and my money for a product he engineered and came up with. It is pricey, admittedly. But he has said on his company website and youtube videos that he is a small business, sources his materials/parts locally, and uses other small business to help fill orders. If this is true, I will support him and not some knockoff chinese copy-cat company who mass produces using terrible labor laws.

Reactions: miracj
My tesla rep says the swivel screen and the power frunk void the warranty :( I wish they had authorized 3rd party installers that would work with these mods. I'm not messing with my warranty even though those things would make me look incredibly cool.
voids the warranty of the respective parts if found to be the cause...not a whole-car warranty void like they would like you to believe.

I bought the REAL one from Matt @ Tech Form -made in the USA. Got his newest model, Matt is always innovating that I’m sure the Chinese knockoffs will copy.
The Tech Forum mount probably has better quality metal but these newer mounts have a much cleaner design for covering the hinge mechanism - way more OEM looking. The soft sleeve is not very attractive and makes the whole thing look very home-made. Not a copy per se but a refinement of the idea.

The ultimate mount would be the Tech Forum guts with the exterior trim of these new mounts. Maybe Tech Forum can copy the 'knock-offs' on that part ;)