Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does there need to be demolition of existing structures before construction can start?

All the details are on the Port Stephens Council website ( http://datracker.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/Application/ApplicationDetails/016-2016-00000212-001/ ) - if the direct link doesn't work, try search for DA number 16-2016-212-1. While I don't think the original plans are there, it should give some sense of the scale of the project. There are plenty of whinge.. er, representations from locals with details about the development.

LGGD, I don't think much demolition is necessary, from memory they're building it onto the rear of the existing and upgrading the minor access road. I hate to say it but some of the residents have valid concerns. I honestly think they shouldn't approve it until the Pacific Highway bypasses Heatherbrae, the existing entry/exit to this hotel is into a very very busy roadway with no proper merge. Adding a busy servo is bad enough never mind the fact that there are two across the road and another one less than a kilometre away. Perhaps they would condition a major upgrade of the road and create a merge lane. This whole area is an utter circus during school holidays and peak traffic times, they don't need to add this to the mix. There are plenty of other good spots to put a SC, I'd much prefer they keep them away from petrol stations.

LGGD, I don't think much demolition is necessary, from memory they're building it onto the rear of the existing and upgrading the minor access road. I hate to say it but some of the residents have valid concerns. I honestly think they shouldn't approve it until the Pacific Highway bypasses Heatherbrae, the existing entry/exit to this hotel is into a very very busy roadway with no proper merge. Adding a busy servo is bad enough never mind the fact that there are two across the road and another one less than a kilometre away. Perhaps they would condition a major upgrade of the road and create a merge lane. This whole area is an utter circus during school holidays and peak traffic times, they don't need to add this to the mix. There are plenty of other good spots to put a SC, I'd much prefer they keep them away from petrol stations.

Yes, getting out of that location and heading south will be quite a mission needing every bit of a Tesla's responsiveness.

Can't say I agree with you on the no petrol station thing. I think Euroa is by far the best located of the existing Superchargers. (With Gundagai coming in second).

Reactions: RIPPERTON
Really? Is that when SYD-MEL was completed last year? And 4/5 for this year haven't even started construction! Not to mention Heatherbrae was actually supposed to have been competed by end of 2015!

Nah, that was the date of the 2nd regional site opening. (Technically the 2nd and 3rd - Wodonga and Euroa - were the same day)

I figure PM is already open so using the 2nd site as the measuring stick as to whether they are ahead or behind on last year's schedule!

In the absence of the planned SC rollout between Sydney to Brisbane (was really hoping for at least 1 more up and running by now to make life easier) I am heading off next week on my 1st long distance trip from Gold Coast to Snowy mountains and have been planning this since before I purchased my 70D.

Not afraid at all, but when wife and kids are involved totally different level of potential pain!

So on the weekend did a test run from home on the GC to Ballina, with family in tow to firm up my "Range" predictions for our trip. Was planning to go to Ballina (1hr top up) then Port SC (Lunch booked) then Wetlands (1hr top up) to SC in Sydney on 1st Day.

My 70D refresh consistently bests "Rated Range" even with AC, music on AP at speed limits. Overall average below 150whkm. See attached Trip planner prediction and actual. (Excuse the fingerprints). Not sure I should rely on this though as apears to be lower than most?

Based on the range and conveniences on the test run my plans have changed. We would have arrived at Ballina 5am for breakfast and expect the place would be a ghost town. So now plan to go directly to Coffs Harbour Showgrounds, skipping Ballina with ETA of approx. 8.00am at the showgrounds? It's about 320kms from home to Coffs so should make this with about 130kms spare based on weekends test?

Does anyone know if 8.00am is too early to access the showgrounds outlet? Anywhere decent for breakfast in the area? Noticed that it's recommended to offer a tip what is the customary amount?

Predicted GC to Ballina.jpg
Actual GC to Ballina.jpg
Average GC to Ballina.jpg

Based on the range and conveniences on the test run my plans have changed. We would have arrived at Ballina 5am for breakfast and expect the place would be a ghost town. So now plan to go directly to Coffs Harbour Showgrounds, skipping Ballina with ETA of approx. 8.00am at the showgrounds? It's about 320kms from home to Coffs so should make this with about 130kms spare based on weekends test?

Have you put the numbers into evtripplanner or just used a guesstimate from your previous trip?

Have you put the numbers into evtripplanner or just used a guesstimate from your previous trip?

Both..........

I compared my Ballina trip data with EVtripplanner and was very close.

Using EVtripplanner for my driving conditions it estimates I could make it direct from GC to Port SC with about 8km to spare............not game enough to try this as no room for error, so was planning 1 hr top up in Coffs to give me an extra 50kms or so buffer.

Really need the extra Superchargers to fill in the gaps...... hopefully next trip will not need as much planning.

When SCs up and running bring on a Brisbane to Melbourne run in a day anyone?

Yep I'm totally up for that.

From where you charge at Coffs, head South through the grounds, past all the caravans etc. there is a bridge over the creek that takes you past the Olympic pool (which was like 15 degrees when I swam in it two months ago) and in the vicinity of the main strip of shops. There's a few options there. (You've just gotta navigate around the big w building. )