Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...service-centres-along-the-pacific-highway.pdf

Interesting document of planned 24hr services centres along the route. Personally, I think Tesla should be aiming for those and the government should be mandating that these services centres are not big oil monopolies.

I know we all don't want to eat McDonalds and KFC, but these places make a good stop when you are travelling late into the night and just want a coffee and the toilet. Some of them are starting to offer some alternatives.

Adam.

Reactions: Seesaw
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...service-centres-along-the-pacific-highway.pdf

Interesting document of planned 24hr services centres along the route. Personally, I think Tesla should be aiming for those and the government should be mandating that these services centres are not big oil monopolies.

I know we all don't want to eat McDonalds and KFC, but these places make a good stop when you are travelling late into the night and just want a coffee and the toilet. Some of them are starting to offer some alternatives.

Adam.
That's as long as you like the odour of hydrocarbons.

I'm going to make a call that the Byron Bay area location is going to be The Farm

LGGD was spot on with this one! I found the DA and created a new thread for it (Supercharger - Ewingsdale (Byron Bay) NSW) - have also submitted it to supercharge.info.

The other places I've looked

Coffs Harbour: Home
Newcastle: www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au (and also http://www.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/ which covers Heatherbrae/Raymond Terrace)

Brisbane is trickier as it will most likely be a combined sales, service and supercharger, so could be categorised as any number of things. Only saving grace is that greater Brisbane is a single local government area!

Reactions: LGGD
LGGD was spot on with this one! I found the DA and created a new thread for it (Supercharger - Ewingsdale (Byron Bay) NSW) - have also submitted it to supercharge.info.

The other places I've looked

Coffs Harbour: Home
Newcastle: www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au (and also http://www.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/ which covers Heatherbrae/Raymond Terrace)

Brisbane is trickier as it will most likely be a combined sales, service and supercharger, so could be categorised as any number of things. Only saving grace is that greater Brisbane is a single local government area!

Great work Chuq. Thanks for that.

Given the location of The Farm at Ewingsdale the next (previously assumed) location was Coffs Harbour. But, Coffs Harbour is presently 233km from The Farm so that distance is too great. Spacing is usually an average of 180km with the current maximum being 197km.

More likely location now must be near Woolgoolga (which has been bypassed) or a bit to the north. Not many (if any) obvious sites in that area.

I miss my infernal combustion car. On a long trip I could put dinner in aluminium foil & put in on the rocker cover. Ready to eat at meal break. No hot spots on Teslas
Frank on the show American Pickers tried a number of times to cook his dinner on the head of the Mercedes Sprinter van they traveled around in. Frank's meal was always overcooked and or dry; I think it would take a lot of practice to get right and cooking times would be altered significantly by the ambient temperature. Cooking in a dishwasher however is actually pretty reliable, so long as you seal the foil carefully.

Spoke with Tesla, Sydney, this morning about SC route. Extract of reply, as follows: ".. exact locations are yet to be confirmed but Byron is a good chance."

Read that how you will.

Somewhere near there would want to be a whole lot more than a good chance. It's on the rollout map and always has been. That just sounds like a silly answer really.

And, if locations are really yet to be confirmed even now then seriously, what have they been doing in the two years since the rollout was committed to?

Most likely Tesla would be approaching multiple potential site owners for a Supercharger location.
If they announce something and it falls through this could be embarrassing for the site owner as well as Tesla.
I can totally understand the reason for radio silence and its also likely why the upcoming location spots have moved a bit on the Tesla Supercharger page. As an example at one stage I'm sure there was a potential site on the South Coast of NSW near Nowra but now all trace of such a potential site has disappeared.

Nowra didn't disappear because a site fell through. Nowra, Canberra, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are all locations that were previously publicly committed to but they have now reneged on.

I'd have to say I'm finding the roll out pretty slow now, it all looked like full steam ahead during Sydney-Melbourne, but now nothing much. I was expecting Brisbane-Sydney to be finished now, with some new announcements regarding Melbounre-Adelaide and other areas, perhaps Tas, Regional Victoria, North of Brisbane.

Roll out progress in North America and Europe looks equally stalled.