Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Armmm the Syd to Bne SuperCharger project for 2016 has stalled, hasn't it?

Sad... I was going to drive the family to the Gold Coast this Christmas/January specifically to celebrate the official opening of this route.
Seemingly not stalled. At St Leonards last week, the vibe was that the route to Brisbane was looking to be finished on time with the possible exception of Brisbane itself (and you have UQ there).

Newcastle, Port Stephens: No DAs submitted or approved in last 6 weeks mentioning electric vehicle charging.

Ballina: Interesting find! A development (010.2016.00000093.002) for a new service station at 565-589 River St, West Ballina NSW 2478 (map: https://goo.gl/maps/Qdbguz2ohnB2) includes a space marked "electric car charger service zone":
54QB9ZA.png

This could mean Tesla is involved, this could mean they plan to involve Tesla later, or it could just mean they are forward planning. I can't find any reference to electric vehicles in the DA outside of this plan.

Coffs Harbour: A development application (0313/17DA) for The Big Banana. No documents! Description: "Tourist Facility-Addition", Lodged 6/10/2016, Estimated cost; $120,000.

Reactions: LGGD and baillies
Yep, my bet is that Big Banana and Macadamia Castle will be done by Christmas.

Brisbane won't be.

And, if there is going to be anything at Heatherbrae it will have to be a sled.

Intersresting re: Ballina. But, no reason for Tesla to be there as they will have Macadamia Castle. But, having said that, that proposed location would be absolutely awesome for Superchargers - like the no longer happening 'The Farm' - there is no deviation from the trip to use it.

Been checking out the DAs again...

Coffs:
Big Banana DA - still no documents uploaded!

Ballina:
010.2016.00000608.001 - Alterations/Additions to a Motel (95 Cherry St) - no plans shown but estimated cost is $20k so probably not related
010.2016.00000604.001 - Alterations/Additions to Car Repair Station/Workshop - looks like Ballina Toyota, likely not related

Port Stephens:
No new relevant DAs.

Now that Heatherbrae and Mac Castle appear to be moving forward with SC's is anyone eyeballing the Coffs Harbour area for signs of SC development (the missing link)?

Is there something happening at Mac Castle? It was mentioned along with Big Banana @ Coffs in a previous post but I thought both were at the same stage? (By that I mean, no written permit or visible construction at either site)

[Edit: Just saw this post at the Ewingsdale thread. Please ignore :) ]

Last edited:
Now that Heatherbrae and Mac Castle appear to be moving forward with SC's is anyone eyeballing the Coffs Harbour area for signs of SC development (the missing link)?

Absolutely right when you say ‘missing link’!

A lot of focus has been within the old Pacific Highway corridor through Coffs Harbour but it makes more sense to look at the Motorway north of Coffs Harbour. More specifically, wherever the potential for locating a freeway service centre is likely a prime candidate. Arrawarra north of Woolgoolga has been mentioned many times with reference to Service Centre location in RMS planning documents.

An alternative would seem to be the new Coffs bypass route via North Boambee Valley, Coramba Road and Bruxner Park Road. The largest interchange on the new road is the Bruxner Park Road interchange north of West Korora Rd.

This area seems to make sense due to the proximity to the Big Banana Fun Park and the Novotel Pacific Bay Resort where there is a restaurant open for breakfast, lunch & dinner 7 days a week. The Big Banana has been mentioned many times but locating it to the north, closer to the interchange and on the motorway route would eliminate backtracking and ICE’ing at the Big Banana car park. Only thing is that not much, possibly nothing has been mentioned about this location in any planning documents through the development stages.

Not sure which or even if either of these 2 locations will be the eventual site but they’re definitely worthwhile candidates to focus on.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...c-highway-service-centres-feedback-report.pdf

coffs-harbour-bypass-map.jpg

Absolutely right when you say ‘missing link’!

A lot of focus has been within the old Pacific Highway corridor through Coffs Harbour but it makes more sense to look at the Motorway north of Coffs Harbour. More specifically, wherever the potential for locating a freeway service centre is likely a prime candidate. Arrawarra north of Woolgoolga has been mentioned many times with reference to Service Centre location in RMS planning documents.

The challenging thing with the Australian rollout is that Tesla set themselves targets for specific routes (and for the most part, keep them). So they have (generally) a 12 month lead time between side selection/permitting/construction. If they find a proposal for a roadside service centre, in the right location, with a co-operative site owner, and going through the permit process at precisely the right time, then it can work out - but it sounds like a lot of things that need to fall into place at once.

In this case since the bypass hasn't even been constructed yet there wouldn't be an appropriate location for at least a couple of years, so they would need to find a site that is available *now*.

The challenging thing with the Australian rollout is that Tesla set themselves targets for specific routes (and for the most part, keep them). So they have (generally) a 12 month lead time between side selection/permitting/construction. If they find a proposal for a roadside service centre, in the right location, with a co-operative site owner, and going through the permit process at precisely the right time, then it can work out - but it sounds like a lot of things that need to fall into place at once.

In this case since the bypass hasn't even been constructed yet there wouldn't be an appropriate location for at least a couple of years, so they would need to find a site that is available *now*.

Yes I agree this is the only reason the site is very possibly at the Big Banana. I guess the backtracking isn’t huge but the ICE’ing inconvenience could be depending upon the design & layout.

It is conceivable that a temporary 2 place sled could be located there until a service centre location is built, as I mentioned, either slightly further at Bruxner Park Road or considerably further north at Arrawarra.

Reactions: Chuq
For coffs harbour, as the new highway is some time off, I think it makes sense to put the SC somewhere where there are facilities now, as the typical size so far has been 6 bays, that capacity will be exceeded within a few years (here's hoping) and they will be forced in to looking for more/expanding sites by that time anyway.

There's no way the 6 bays will be enough once the model 3 gains traction.

You could say the same for Heatherbrae too, it will also be bypassed.

Reactions: LGGD
I don't mind the bypasses on the SC Route as driving the Tesla is about the journey not getting to the destination as fast as possible.

On AP you tend to notice more around you while driving and definitely arrive more relaxed, so adding in a few side routes is part of the fun. Recently did the GC to Sydney run and made to Port with a tiny bit of help at Coffs and then from Port to Pyrmont with room to spare. Adding in the extra SC's will be a blessing for the Bris/Syd run and make it effortless in any model Tesla.

Think I'll try and find another excuse to head to Sydney again when Heatherbrae and Mac Castle are open! Although I've just hit 10,000kms in 2 1/2 months........can't keep that up!

Reactions: Chuq