Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney Harbour Tunnel Autopilot test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an interesting experience with Autopilot today that left me wondering whether others can replicate it.

Heading south bound into the Sydney Harbour Tunnel in the left lane, once inside the tunnel engage autopilot.

I did so today and upon engagement of autopilot the car drastically steered to the left. Given that it's a concrete wall on the left I grabbed the wheel and tugged it back, it scared the crap out of my wife in the front passenger seat.

I had an interesting experience with Autopilot today that left me wondering whether others can replicate it.

Heading south bound into the Sydney Harbour Tunnel in the left lane, once inside the tunnel engage autopilot.

I did so today and upon engagement of autopilot the car drastically steered to the left. Given that it's a concrete wall on the left I grabbed the wheel and tugged it back, it scared the crap out of my wife in the front passenger seat.
the gps in my current car gets lost in any tunnel

Always make sure you are in the center of the lane before engaging Autopilot (steering).
If you are not in the center of the lane you soon will be after engaging Autopilot.
If you are to the left in your lane the car will move to the right to get to the center and vice versa.
I wouldn't use Autopilot in the SHT, very little space between cars, too many people changing lanes, speeding up , slowing down etc.

Regularly use autopilot in the tunnel both south and northbound, though it's normally active well before the tunnel itself.

The jerk when autopilot first lane centres itself can be off-putting if you aren't near the centre.
I've experienced it before, but never this dramatic. Given that there's a solid wall on the left you could be right and it was me wanting to keep a greater buffer.

If you drive to the right of the lane, the swerve AP makes to the middle is terrifying.
I have used Autopilot throughout the Harbour Tunnel twice a day for several years, more than a thousand times. Can't remember the last time I had to take over. The tunnel is the type of place AP works best, IME.
(BTW, you should have tried AP1 in the first two days of release! OMG, it was a wild ride!! And then: presto! It got better really fast. Remarkable stuff)

Reactions: moa999