Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney-Melbourne in MY (RWD/P) using superchargers only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have anyone done Sydney-Melbourne in MY RWD or MYP using superchargers? How many stops did you have to take? Thanks

ABRP says 4 and Tesla says 3 but real driving might be different.

Also, do you think it is a bad idea to travel during long weekend or do I just avoid daytime hours?

Last edited:
It really depends on the weather and where exactly in those cities you start and end your journey, and the state of charge at the end of journey. The default setting on ABRP is quickest which is 4 stops in a MY RWD, but if you change to fewer but longer charges, it drops to 3 stops.

Daytime hours will be busier, but are also safer to drive in.

Reactions: advertisingfre
As above either will work.

ABRP is far more flexible with its controls (eg. Many will use 0-5% arrivals on a route like that), and is undoubtedly the best for absolutely optimising journey time (minimising charging time)

For example - 4 5-65% charges will be quicker than 3 10-90% charges as long as the detour off the highway isn't that long.

but it all really depends on how you do the journey.

eg. I much prefer to stop at NRMA Jugiong (even though it's only 50kW) and have a decent meal at the Sir George or Long Pantry, versus the options at Gundagai next to the Tesla and Chargefox sites.

I've done it, Chatswood to Glen Waverley and its straught forward.

My stops were:
  1. Goulburn SC
  2. Gundagai SC
  3. Wodonga SC
  4. Euroa Chargefox (this stop was for convenience / toilet)
ABRP will always be more conservative, as it should be. The best advice that I can give you is trust the car, it's calculating things in real time taking into account the weather and the speed you're doing. If this is your first long distance trip, head over to YouTube and watch some Bjorn Nyland 1000km challenge videos.

I much prefer to stop at NRMA Jugiong (even though it's only 50kW) and have a decent meal at the Sir George or Long Pantry, versus the options at Gundagai next to the Tesla and Chargefox sites.
Agree, The Gundagai SC stop does not have anything good in terms of food. Olivers is just crap.
If Gundagai town had a 50kW I would also go there.

I topped up back to 90%-95% each time
No need to charge that high (but understand YMMV)

Departure NW Sydney 70% and 210km to first stop
Goulburn SC 8-59% 15min
NRMA Jugiong 20-72% 51 min (longer stop here for proper food)
Wodonga SC 10-53% 15min
Euroa SC 10-65% 17min
Flinders St melbourne 21%

total intermediate stop time approx 100 minutes - which is worth about 2.5 stops of your 40 minute stops, but I get to stop at 4 stops which is much better for fatigue management

Even on long trips, there is now less need to charge to 100% due to the increasing numbers of DC charger infrastructure

Last edited: