Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney to Adelaide (without going via Melbourne, and not staying overnight somewhere)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The
@Vostok Actually staying in Mildura was the intention, however driving the leg between Gundagai and Mildura I was hoping there would be a stop that is reasonably fast to "full up" so that the trip would be done in 2 days...
The Shell Servo in Hay looks pretty substantial on Google Maps with lots of AC on the roof that would need 3 Phase to run it.
If this is a one off you’re stuck with one of the two caravan parks in Hay but if it something you would like to do regularly you could stay in a Caravan Park on the first trip and approach the Shell and Caltex Servos to see if they would be willing to install a free AEVA/TOCA 3 Phase 32 A power point. They just have to pay to install it.
If you are interested in doing that PM me and I can put you in touch with the right persons at AEVA.

Reactions: Chuq
Not a lot happening between wilcania and broken hill.

it's 197 km so there doesn't really need to be. However if the next person driving through wants to enquire here (at about the halfway mark) it could be productive!

upload_2018-9-20_23-52-19.png

There's even a picture of an outlet in one of their Google photos! (probably only 10 amp though)

upload_2018-9-20_23-55-46.png

The

The Shell Servo in Hay looks pretty substantial on Google Maps with lots of AC on the roof that would need 3 Phase to run it.
If this is a one off you’re stuck with one of the two caravan parks in Hay but if it something you would like to do regularly you could stay in a Caravan Park on the first trip and approach the Shell and Caltex Servos to see if they would be willing to install a free AEVA/TOCA 3 Phase 32 A power point. They just have to pay to install it.
If you are interested in doing that PM me and I can put you in touch with the right persons at AEVA.

In addition to the above and if you have no other option check the Hay recreation facilities, if they hold yearly agricultural shows at that venue there's a good chance that 3 phase outlets are installed around the perimeter, of course you then need to contact the local council and go through the whole explanation process, it's not that council staff are against car charging it's just they can't believe its possible.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
If you are NRMA members you should be requesting that Hay and Balranald get added to their fast charger roll out. Free charge for NRMA members. It would make Mildura trip easy then. SA government keeps getting told they should sponsor a fast charger ar Renmark.

I once drove from Sydney to Adelaide in a day in an ICE. It was the single most stupid and dangerous thing I have ever done in my life.

1374km doesnt sound that bad. Have done 1200km a few times in europe (which is easier because of higher speed limits) and I have done 1300km once in QLD which was ok (was meant to be 1000km but had to backtrack due to flooding). Obviously there are no real speedlimits in the outback and the roads are empty so theres probably less drivers fatigue. But maybe with Autopilot?

with supercharging this becomes quite a long trip though. probs better to leave in the afternoon and sleep in the car and continue journey in the morning...

Last edited:
There are a number of large solar farms planned for Hay/Balranald. It would make sense for regional councils to partner with large solar projects to provide EV infrastructure in regional towns.

It would make sense for regional councils to do lots of things but unfortunately that's not how things work and usually the own councilmen/womens agenda is more important... Small town politics is unfortunately very nasty.