Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney to Adelaide (without Melbourne)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@omniwolf - great trip and wonderful description! Fills me nspiration. I'm planning a somewhat easier road trip from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour in late March - quick question - how long do the super chargers take in real life practice?
Tesla takes care of this, if you have the route set in the car and it routes you through SCs, it tells you how long you need to stay at the SC for. The standard 20 mins you hear about everywhere is fairly accurate. It all depends on what % you're at when you arrive. On the way down 20 mins was enough (I started from full), on the way back up i gave it 25-30 mins because I was pretty low on juice. The lower you are the faster it charges, so you could take advatage of that if your trip is heavily prescribed.

Do you think this was the case because you had the collision setting set too sensitive?
I don't think so, I have never had any false collision warnings otherwise. I think the rain was just that heavy

Great write-up and a good trip omniwolf. I wouldn't call 15% 'close' though, that's just efficient :)
hah, it was 15% with no side trips and driving 25+ km/h under the limit. Was a bit of a dampener on the trip really. But, much preferrable to having to get towed somewhere.

hah, it was 15% with no side trips and driving 25+ km/h under the limit. Was a bit of a dampener on the trip really. But, much preferrable to having to get towed somewhere.

You should have gone faster! I rolled in to Bairnsdale with 3% ;-) In all seriousness since those days the power usage prediction in the car seems to have improved significantly too, and I'd have no qualms about a predicted arrival SoC under 10%. You can monitor it easily along the trip and if it starts dropping too much just slow down a bit at that point, speed back up when you have enough buffer if you wish. All assuming you know you can charge at the destination without trapsing around to find somewhere.