Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney to Darwin road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an interesting series.
But this is now the 2nd charging location on Rockhampton - Darwin that's not actually listed on Plugshare and is more an in the know thing.

Which kind of opens up the question as to is this really an EV route today, or what is the point of Plugshare if sites aren't listed?
Or are we just trying to ensure people have fully researched before setting out on these journeys?

Obviously the Qld side will become much easier with Yurika/QESH rolling out, but NT is still a bit of a blackspot.

1658339146161.png

259 km of Unnamed road - Only in Australia :) :D

Loved the videos @gm12 , was a great look into raid tripping in the more remote areas of Australia. My parent are currently Grey Nomading up around Darwin, with my Dad informing me I couldn't drive out there in my Tesla, it's great to have video proof to prove him wrong!

Don't quite get the reference to 'diplomatic hat' .. ?
I probably didn't explain the challenge of crossing the Barkly Tablelands.
There is only one sealed road between Queensland and the northern territory, and that is the Barkly highway. And along that stretch of about 470km is only one roadhouse with power to charge an EV. That roadhouse has been quite anti-EV. Refusing to install a free 3-phase outlets supplied by AEVA. So, it's up to all EV's which travel this way to wear the diplomacy hat, and slowly bring them around to liking EV's, because there are literally no other routes to get between the two states in a tesla.

View attachment 830675

259 km of Unnamed road - Only in Australia :) :D

I think that means in 259 km from where you now are, turn left onto an unnamed road. The “unnamed road” itself might be quite short. I’ve seen “unnamed roads” in cities, such as a very short link road between two named roads, a short link to get on to a freeway on-ramp, or a private road. But certainly in remote areas there are lots of unnamed bush tracks 😄

In this situation, the nav speech will just say “in 259 kilometres, turn left.” It doesn't add the “unnamed road” part 😊

• Helpful
Reactions: Electroman
There is only one sealed road between Queensland and the northern territory, and that is the Barkly highway. And along that stretch of about 470km is only one roadhouse with power to charge an EV. That roadhouse has been quite anti-EV. Refusing to install a free 3-phase outlets supplied by AEVA. So, it's up to all EV's which travel this way to wear the diplomacy hat, and slowly bring them around to liking EV's, because there are literally no other routes to get between the two states in a tesla.

Yep this is really important. Always, always check with any remote accommodation provider or roadhouse whether they have outdoor power points, whether you can use them to charge an electric car, and offer to pay if they don’t volunteer a price. You really do not want to cheese these people off by using their electricity without consent, it could result in them refusing to ever allow EVs to charge which impacts the whole EV community.

I will be charging at a remote pub on this trip and I checked it all out with them prior. When I get there, I will show them PlugShare and ask them if they’d like to be added, since when I asked about charging, they already had a rate for caravans that want to plug in. If they don’t want to be added to PlugShare for whatever reason, that is their right.

This is the etiquette that I picked up during this trip for AC chargers:

Hotels with Tesla chargers or charging options listed on plugshare:
Always book a room in advance, and always mention that you'd like to charge your car overnight. (on the phone or in the comments of the booking form)
This way they will often put you in a room near the charger, and stop other cars parking (ICE'ing) the charger.

Roadhouses with a AEVA 3 phase plug:
Dont bother asking reception where the plug is, most of them wont know because it hardly gets used. Just take a look at the photos on plugshare and find it yourself, plug in, and then go back to reception and let them know. Usually pay 50c / kwh based on your honesty.

Caravan Parks with 15 amp plugs:
I dont even bother telling them I am an EV driver. Just book a powered site. They dont care if you use it to charge your car, or run your caravan's A/C
You will need a minimum 10m 15amp extension cord. Not all power points are right next to your site.

Showgrounds with 3 phase plugs
Almost all towns of over 5000 population will have 3 phase plugs at the local showground. Most listed on plugshare, some not.
The best approach here is to find the number of the caretaker, and give him a call a day or two before arrival to arrange a time. It may be on plugshare, or you may need to ask via the tourist office. A caretaker will find the plug for you (showgrounds are big) and will advise if they arent available due to an event on at the showgrounds, or maybe the gate is locked after hours.

In some of the popular towns like Winton in QLD, the showgrounds act as the over-flow caravan parks for the grey nomads, so you can just book a powered site at the showgrounds, and then find the 3-phase plug yourself. They never get full, so you dont need to book in advance, just talk to the tourist office when you arrive.

And one more thing, if you cant get into a plugshare listed hotel, you can call other hotels and ask them if you can use a 10 amp plug overnight, or if you are lucky, they'll have a 15 amp (for me, in Cloncurry, QLD). Most will be able to find one somewhere in the hotel.

Last edited:
I probably didn't explain the challenge of crossing the Barkly Tablelands.

To clarify- The Barkly Roadhouse installed an AEVA three phase outlet in mid 2017, installation costs were paid for by the roadhouse. Unfortunately the promised arrival of EV visitors didn't happen for the best part of a year, this put EV owners in a negative light. Each EV visitor gets a different reception depending on the many factors including which staff member is on site.
Currently there are two options, 1. stay overnight and top up on 15amp. The Barkly is one of the nicer Roadhouses across the whole top half of the country, the challenge is it can be very busy in the June to August period.
2. Drive the 452km section between Camooweal and the Threeways Roadhouse on one charge, the road is flat and smooth so good for energy efficiency, the downside is sudden wind shifts can kill efficiency and get the EV owner in massive trouble very quickly. I would NOT recommend this.
Footnote: The Barkly Roadhouse was sold in late 2021, I hear the price was close to $14 million.

Last edited:
To clarify- The Barkly Roadhouse installed an AEVA three phase outlet in mid 2017, installation costs were paid for by the roadhouse. Unfortunately the promised arrival of EV visitors didn't happen for the best part of a year, this put EV owners in a negative light.

Rather too early to sell that kind of promise. 2017 was the year that NSW crossed the 1000 BEV mark. Based on those numbers, and how primitive the DCFC network was back then, I would not have been predicting any substantial remote area travel.

There are now over 15,000 BEVs in NSW alone - so 15 times as many in 5 years - and a DCFC network that is progressively heading west. They will start to see a ramp-up in people doing these kinds of trips, so hopefully they will start to see the promise, albeit rather later than envisaged.