Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney to Melbourne via Tesla Superchargers, how long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
Going to a nephews' wedding in Hobart on the 25th so I thought it would be a good excuse for our first real road trip.
We will be driving to Melbourne from Potts Point on Saturday the 20th leaving early but how early?
Google maps quotes a door to door trip time of 9 hours so I am predicting 12 hours based on an average of 40 minutes at each Supercharger. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Reactions: Chuq
Pop into the car and put your ultimate address as the destination. The car will then plan the route through the S/C system and tell you exactly how long each stop needs to be. Works very well.

Most stops will be well less than 40 minutes, but by the time you have found a washroom and ordered a decent coffee, you will be close on 40 minutes anyway. (Rose Cafe in Goulburn is awesome, even if all you do is look at the food display case!)

As a backup I use one of the EV planner tools such as mentioned above.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I got home 2 days ago from a trip Sydney to Phillip Island and back.
It depends on your charging at your destination. Will you have a charger where you're staying in Melbourne, or will you be driving straight onto the boat?
If you have a charger in Melbourne it's much quicker, you'll need about an hour of charging total.
If not, you'll need about 2 hours of charging, because you'll need to get close to 100% in Melbourne before getting on the boat.

I'd recommend:
- Leave home at 100%
- Arrive Goulburn 50%, charge for 10 min (or skip if you think you can make Gundagai)
- Arrive Gundagai 20%, charge for 30 min to 90% (eat at rip-off Olivers)
- Arrive Wodonga 50%, charge for 10 min (or skip if you think you can make Euroa)
- Arrive Euroa at 10%, charge just enough to get to Melbourne destination, maybe 20 min

If you're not staying in Melbourne but going straight onto the boat, charge at Euroa just enough to get you to Richmond SC, then spend an hour there charging to 95%.

Of course it all depends on which model you have:

• a p85 or less will require you to stop at each of four superchargers (20 min or so)
    • Starting full from Sydney
    • Goulburn (Rose Cafe)
    • Gundagai (Olivers)
    • Wodonga (lots of choices, but our favorite is Miss Amelie, near the old train station)
    • Euroa (Micky Ds)
    • Richmond (Baby)
  • If P100D than you can skip Gundagai and Euroa
Very easy trip. On the return do the Princess/coast, much nicer

When using these trip planners be sure to review the route closely.
Using ABRP i've seen it take a 40km detour to get to a super charger on a north carriage way which is at the same service as the south carriage way and easily accessible.

I've let the author know about this and another similar issue.

Going to a nephews' wedding in Hobart on the 25th so I thought it would be a good excuse for our first real road trip.
We will be driving to Melbourne from Potts Point on Saturday the 20th leaving early but how early?
Google maps quotes a door to door trip time of 9 hours so I am predicting 12 hours based on an average of 40 minutes at each Supercharger. Is this a reasonable assumption?

I can only help with the Devonport to Hobart leg :)

We had a great time in that area during our honeymoon many years ago. Should be a great trip. Jealous. We'd love to do again. Anyway we had a car while in Tasmania (non-EV of course back then) and drove from Hobart to Cradle Mt to Launceston, where we flew out to Melbourne. Out of curiousity do you have to do anything special with your Tesla while on the ferry?

@ShockOnT here is a great place to stop, right at the victoria/NSW border

Gipsy Point Lakeside
Nice find. I think I'll do the coastal route later this year once the Nowra and Narooma superchargers are running. Love that drive.

We had a great time in that area during our honeymoon many years ago. Should be a great trip. Jealous. We'd love to do again. Anyway we had a car while in Tasmania (non-EV of course back then) and drove from Hobart to Cradle Mt to Launceston, where we flew out to Melbourne. Out of curiousity do you have to do anything special with your Tesla while on the ferry?
I did the ferry about 6 months ago. No special treatment for Tesla, other than all the security guys asking questions about it.
The destination charger at Anviers Chocolates in Devonport is really handy.

Reactions: SMAlset
I did the ferry about 6 months ago. No special treatment for Tesla, other than all the security guys asking questions about it.
The destination charger at Anviers Chocolates in Devonport is really handy.

That has to be next! Did you sail daytime or night? Obviously one of those deluxe cabins overnight would make it a much more comfortable voyage.

BTW might have mentioned it once before but EVTO is a great app to play around with range & charge times.

EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla on the App Store

That has to be next! Did you sail daytime or night? Obviously one of those deluxe cabins overnight would make it a much more comfortable voyage.

BTW might have mentioned it once before but EVTO is a great app to play around with range & charge times.

EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla on the App Store
I did night on the way over, and day on the way back.
Cabin is good, even in the day. Not many spots to sit down when it's fully booked.

Tassie was great, a lot of great drives. You have to plan carefully, but it's so much easier now. When I started planning (about a year ago) there were 4 destination chargers. Now there are 15 or so.

Did the same trip just before Christmas in an MS 75D with air suspension, including overnights at destination chargers in Atura Albury, then Cradle Mountain, Strahan, Pumphouse Lake St Clair and of course Hobart. Returned direct Hobart to Melbourne via ferry.

All super easy but a few comments:

There was a transient problem in Tesla charger Hobart in the RACT Hotel that they bent over backwards to fix. Really good.

There was also pressure on the MONA Tesla charger at the time so not as viable alternative as expected. MONA is also reputedly slow so the RACT Hotel is probably only really good charge option in Hobart unless have J1772 adaptor.

Charged 100% for trip Hobart back to Melbourne via ferry and would have made it but House of Anvers is ideal for topup to take the anxiety out - plus the refreshment is good!

As for the ferry, on one crossing we were recognized as 'wide' and put into a side lane.

It was expected to be a rough crossing so prior to sailing I turned off the alarm, put the suspension to very high, and locked it up In jack mode as I think is recommended for truck transporting. Figured best having lots of suspension travel, and not having self leveling fighting the ferry movement all night, Overkill maybe but didn't seem to have downside. In the end it really was a reasonably rough crossing but car had no problems.

Did the same trip just before Christmas in an MS 75D with air suspension, including overnights at destination chargers in Atura Albury, then Cradle Mountain, Strahan, Pumphouse Lake St Clair and of course Hobart. Returned direct Hobart to Melbourne via ferry.

All super easy but a few comments:

There was a transient problem in Tesla charger Hobart in the RACT Hotel that they bent over backwards to fix. Really good.

There was also pressure on the MONA Tesla charger at the time so not as viable alternative as expected. MONA is also reputedly slow so the RACT Hotel is probably only really good charge option in Hobart unless have J1772 adaptor.

Charged 100% for trip Hobart back to Melbourne via ferry and would have made it but House of Anvers is ideal for topup to take the anxiety out - plus the refreshment is good!

As for the ferry, on one crossing we were recognized as 'wide' and put into a side lane.

It was expected to be a rough crossing so prior to sailing I turned off the alarm, put the suspension to very high, and locked it up In jack mode as I think is recommended for truck transporting. Figured best having lots of suspension travel, and not having self leveling fighting the ferry movement all night, Overkill maybe but didn't seem to have downside. In the end it really was a reasonably rough crossing but car had no problems.
If I remember, MONA has two chargers but one is single phase and the other is 3 phase.
I was getting full speed on the 3 phase one, albeit 6 months ago.

I didn't do anything for the ferry, but got several "your alarm is triggered" messages on the Tesla app. It must be like a cat farm down in the vehicle deck during the trip.

• Funny
Reactions: nigwil