Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Symptoms of a non-functional seat occupancy sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past 4 years I've come across a number of seemingly random issues with my Model 3, but as time went on I started putting together that at least some of them were related to a non-functional seat occupancy sensor.

With my seat occupancy sensor replaced I can now indeed confirm that this is the case, so I'd like to share the symptoms with others in the hopes that they can get the issue taken care of as well.

Confirmed:
  • The vehicle automatically shifts to park when only one of the 3 conditions listed in Shifting > Park of the owners manual (e.g. driving without a seatbelt) is met, rather than two.
Strongly suspected:
  • The vehicle not shutting down and locking after some sequences of entry and exit.
  • The display locking up on the charging screen and disallowing any interaction when charging - perhaps only at superchargers.
Suspected:
  • The volume lowering when a door opens but not raising back up when the door is closed.
  • Bluetooth devices not automatically connecting when entering the vehicle.
  • The vehicle picking the wrong profile when multiple key-holders enter.
To explain the above 3 sections a bit, Confirmed are items that I could verifiably replicate beforehand that the issue was there, and after that it was not. Strongly suspected are items that are perhaps a bit more complicated to replicate but I have strong reason to believe are related. Suspected are items that are perhaps entirely unrelated, yet I have not come across them since.

Sorry to reply to an ancient post, but this came up googling my own problem, and wanted to add one more to either your "suspected" or "strongly suspected" to the list. I was running into the bluetooth problem, and I've gone ahead and done the confirmed (car switches into park when I try to reverse with the door shut but the seatbelt off).
  • Display turns on when you approach and open the door, but turns back off when you sit down and shut the door (assuming you don't touch the brake)

Reactions: 4est