Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Syncing SolarEdge Inverter Output with Tesla Charge Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on a net metering program where the rates are tiered, so the rates for electricity goes up as my consumption increase in 2 tier system. Electricity consumption and produced are metered separately, so given my production is less then consumption, it is best for me to actually net out my consumption and production as much as possible to minimize net consumption to minimum paying the higher tier 2 rates.

The largest electricity consumer that I can easily control is car charging. So instead of charging at night where I would consump from the grid, I would want to charge during the day to draw from the panels instead. I have a 15kWp system connected to a 10kW SolarEdge inverter. Peak production of 10kW usually occurs around 10am-3pm range, though the output is a lot lower when it is cloudy.
  1. Get an energy monitor with API access to observe the net production, use Tesla API to very the charge current to "use that up"
  2. API access between SolarEdge inverter and Tesla to charge during the day time and vary the charge current based on solar output. Reserving 2kW for base load of home.
  3. Manual schedule to start charging at 10am every day at 28A (~7kw)
Is there an off the shelf tool that can do #2? I give it the Solaredge and Tesla credential and it can do its magic?

Reactions: gcsutton
I’ll have this question too when my net metering contract expires. By then Tesla may have added this feature to the app.

With net metering even though you draw from the grid at night you still export to the grid during the day so the net is the same whether the car gets its energy from the panels during the day or the grid at night. Is the goal to only charge on sunny days and not on cloudy days to minimize overall grid use?

One solution is to put the smarts in the wall charger.
$700 for a smart wall charger (not sure what is available in your market). SolarEdge has an inverter add-on charger for some models.

Would it be easier to just use Self Powered mode and charge midday with a high backup reserve? This dumb method might be a problem on cloudy days without some supervision. Just don’t plug in when cloudy.

If you have a gen 2 Tesla wall charger a not so plug and play raspberry pi solution is available GitHub - dracoventions/TWCManager: Control power delivered by a Tesla Wall Charger using two wires screwed into its RS-485 terminals.

Reactions: Jay Gatsby
Hopefully Tesla integrates this feature someday. We have a Model 3 and a Model Y and I would love to just plug them in and let the system figure out the best way to use all the available energy. They have all the data to do this already and could make the chargers a little smarter based on available solar excess.

Take a look at the following site. I have never used it and can't vouch for its quality or availability. It just looked interesting and may do what you want.

Interesting, but looks like it can only support one car at a time currently.

I was not able to install the app either since I'm in the US but was able to log into the Web app. I have Enphase for my solar and I can not find a way to link to my solar. I did not try linking to my car since I can not connect to my solar but if you go to your Tesla app under account then security and privacy there is a way to create a token using multi-factor authentication if someone wants to try that.

I was not able to install the app either since I'm in the US but was able to log into the Web app. I have Enphase for my solar and I can not find a way to link to my solar. I did not try linking to my car since I can not connect to my solar but if you go to your Tesla app under account then security and privacy there is a way to create a token using multi-factor authentication if someone wants to try that.
I got this response from Charge HQ. Seems like the webapp is the only path forward in the US right now, at least for Android.
Screenshot_20220414-210508_Outlook.jpg

Last edited:
I got it working using the webapp. It's pretty slick. Once I got the various app parameters set, it's siphoning off my excess solar that's not needed for the house and sending it to the Tesla Model Y. Currently the MY is only getting 13A of the available 48A (3kW), but it's 7:45am and that's all the excess solar I am generating right now.

Reactions: jgleigh and miimura
I need to figure out a system for charging both cars since the app only supports controlling one car at a time. I'm thinking I'll just drop the charge rate on my wife's car to 16A and set it to start around 9-10am and let the app send the excess solar into my car.

Reactions: miimura