TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Synthetic vs. Conventional Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gavine, Sep 24, 2015.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Just kidding. Every other automotive forum of which I have been a member has had lengthy discussions about this. Thought I would throw one on hear for good measure.:cool:

2. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

What's in the differential(s)?

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

So I have a rear diff leak that I noticed. It turns out that it's way worse than it looks because there's a ton of oil in the waffle catches on the inside of the bottom cover.

I was wondering myself if it's a synthetic factory fill or not. I assume it is since there is no service interval specified to ever change it.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Synthetic remains viscous at a lower temperature and has a longer shelf life.

5. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Can't we debate hydro electrons v.s. solar electrons v.s. nat. gas electrons instead. I've always found the car to perform a bit stronger on hydro.

6. smac

smac Active Member

I think mine is running on French Nuclear tonight...

.....I'll see if I get any extra motor wine tomorrow.

:redface::redface:

7. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Synthetic oil is clearly superior, and anyone who says that conventional oil is better needs to do their research. Conventional oil does a better job at preserving the delicate components of the engine because the car manufacturers specifically use alloys that are compatible with it. Synventional oil causes problems with the carburetor and other valvetrain timing wires due to the added buildup of long-chain hydronitro-oxys due to added heat soak after running the engine in paleolithic climates. Conthetic oil cleans the smooth muscles of the pistons due to the complex enzymes added at the factory by the helper elves. My brother's uncle's cousin's friend's aunt's sister said so, and her car has lasted over 5,000 miles without any issues other than the standard windshield wear. You can't argue with that, literally. Try it, and you won't be able to!

8. mobe

mobe Member

Good one. .mikeash

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Standard windshield wear isn't standard when you use the new IEC 920591325-304C standard to compare it.

10. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

oh, smac....
    incredibly painful yet delicious at the same time.... Absolute champagne comedy!

11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I'm sure you meant to say less viscous. All conventional oils become more viscous at lower temperatures and lose viscosity when hot.

12. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

:tongue:

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You are right, less viscous is what I meant.

14. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Coal and nat gas have all that carbon that can build up in the wires. Coal is a bit worse then gas. When I switched to Solar it took a few charges to flush all that gunk out of the battery. I find solar better than hydro, as they aren't as damp and are less likely to clump.

15. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

What's awesome is that you sound almost exactly like various audiophile reviewers talking about their audio cables, except they're actually serious.

16. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Ha! Well you sure gave me a good laugh!

17. ERP

ERP Ludicrous Member

The one exception is when breaking in a freshly built engine. You want to use conventional dino oil for that. You need the rings to wear and bed in.

And the second exception is when the car is leaking or burning oil. The conventional oil is cheaper for constant replacement.

Don't ask how I know these things.

18. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

PLEASE tell me that you aren't using coal-fired electrons to drive your speakers! Not only does it muddy up the bass, it also causes the tweeters to roll off severely on the high end! The warmth of the speakers is totally gone, the soundfield won't image, and you're left with what sounds like a bad tinny reproduction of some old wax-cylinder recording!

You're far better off with solar electrons -- they deliver a much cleaner sound. Nuclear will do in a pinch, but the bass will be punchy, and you'll have to play with the equalization a lot to get an acceptable listening experience.

19. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Hey, it's not just audio cables. Here's a company that swears that putting in their power cable will improve the sound of your audio components:

and this:

Cracks me up every time.

20. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

You're right, I really shouldn't have been so specific.

The ones I really love are when they start doing this with digital cables. There was a great review out there (since pulled after the guy got too much hate mail) about an audiophile SATA cable, and how much better it made the reviewer's MP3s sound!