Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

System Error - Sentry, Autopilot, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 MYLR in NA. Just updated to 2022.12.3.20 on Friday. I have often had "System Errors" kick me off NoA or FSD, I think due to no cell service somewhere in the hills of West Virginia (US35 north of Charleston). This last time I was heading northwest on I77 to I64 south of Charleston, and I had a really bad FSD freakout. There were two rectangular patches where broken white lines with would be, and it wanted to center me in between the left and right lanes, very abruptly. Took over, as one might expect, and then NoA/AS cancelled itself, but TACC also was not working which was abnormal. Normally I can not use AS or NoA in the aforementioned US35 area which is fine, but usually can still use TACC.

This time I tried rebooting in flight and when it came back on, the car was stuck in the "isometric" view without visualizations, though headlights and indicators still flashing.

At any rate, we got to Charleston to charge and thought it may resolve itself, but it did not. Even tried the "full shutdown" after we unplugged the vehicle and walked away for 10-15 minutes. We continued on our 6 hour journey with a few other fruitless attempts at other locations, and needless to say I missed TACC and NoA.

Got home and plugged in and next day was as though nothing happened.

TL;DR: had to drive with right foot two eye TACC due system error (Sentry Mode System error). This was the first time in 20k miles I had this type of malfunction. In the event this happens in the future, anyone have any luck on how to "reboot" while on the road? Do we need to let the car idle for longer (30 min, 1 hr?) Or is truly up to chance?

I did see a few things which we tried (reformat USB, delete dashcam files, turn off sentry mode, turn off vehicle, turn off dashcam, turn off FSD beta) without much luck.

• Informative
Reactions: EML84
I'm seeing a similar fault in my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD but the issue started on Saturday 5/28 and hasn't resolved. I had been keeping an eye out to see if anyone else was having issues but hadn't seen anything until your post.

I have had two short drives where FDS Beta functioned, two more drives where it functioned for <5 miles before throwing up the take over immediately error, and on the remainder of my drives over the past week I have not had any AutoPilot, FSD Beta, Visualization, nor Sentry Mode functionality.

I removed my dashcam USB stick and it came back for one drive but the issue returned by my next drive. Unfortunately a soft reset doesn't bring it back on my Model 3. A 12V hard reset by disconnecting the battery didn't show any improvement either.

Symptoms:
  • No FSD Beta functionality, no Autopilot/Navigate on Autopilot functionality on the highway
  • Visualization non-functional and will usually show the partially animated car stuck in the isometric view.
    • On a number of drives the car will display in the correct position but will not be correctly animated and the visualization will not show anything else
    • On a couple drives the visualization showed a stop line stuck some distance in front of my car on the visualization but didn't display or show any other objects
  • Constantly displaying a UI_a114 - Driving visualization temporarily degraded alert
  • Sentry Mode disabled due to system fault error and notification on my phone 10 minutes after parking my Model 3
  • Autowipers do not function

• Informative
Reactions: hellobye
2021 MYLR in NA. Just updated to 2022.12.3.20 on Friday. I have often had "System Errors" kick me off NoA or FSD, I think due to no cell service somewhere in the hills of West Virginia (US35 north of Charleston). This last time I was heading northwest on I77 to I64 south of Charleston, and I had a really bad FSD freakout. There were two rectangular patches where broken white lines with would be, and it wanted to center me in between the left and right lanes, very abruptly. Took over, as one might expect, and then NoA/AS cancelled itself, but TACC also was not working which was abnormal. Normally I can not use AS or NoA in the aforementioned US35 area which is fine, but usually can still use TACC.

This time I tried rebooting in flight and when it came back on, the car was stuck in the "isometric" view without visualizations, though headlights and indicators still flashing.
I had several errors pop up over the weekend, though not as severe as yours. A soft reset and sleep mode didn’t help, but a hard reboot fixed most of the errors. If this doesn’t correct the problem a service visit is in order.

Post in thread 'Autopilot errors in 2022.12.3.16'
Autopilot errors in 2022.12.3.16

I'm seeing a similar fault in my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD but the issue started on Saturday 5/28 and hasn't resolved. I had been keeping an eye out to see if anyone else was having issues but hadn't seen anything until your post.

I have had two short drives where FDS Beta functioned, two more drives where it functioned for <5 miles before throwing up the take over immediately error, and on the remainder of my drives over the past week I have not had any AutoPilot, FSD Beta, Visualization, nor Sentry Mode functionality.

I removed my dashcam USB stick and it came back for one drive but the issue returned by my next drive. Unfortunately a soft reset doesn't bring it back on my Model 3. A 12V hard reset by disconnecting the battery didn't show any improvement either.

Symptoms:
  • No FSD Beta functionality, no Autopilot/Navigate on Autopilot functionality on the highway
  • Visualization non-functional and will usually show the partially animated car stuck in the isometric view.
    • On a number of drives the car will display in the correct position but will not be correctly animated and the visualization will not show anything else
    • On a couple drives the visualization showed a stop line stuck some distance in front of my car on the visualization but didn't display or show any other objects
  • Constantly displaying a UI_a114 - Driving visualization temporarily degraded alert
  • Sentry Mode disabled due to system fault error and notification on my phone 10 minutes after parking my Model 3
  • Autowipers do not function
After working with Tesla Service and the remote diagnostic team they found that one of the cameras in my front triple camera assembly (2018 Model 3 LR RWD) was "striping" or cutting out intermittently. I ended up having the camera assembly replaced and currently have Autopilot and FSD Beta functionality back on my vehicle. I will update if that changes.

After working with Tesla Service and the remote diagnostic team they found that one of the cameras in my front triple camera assembly (2018 Model 3 LR RWD) was "striping" or cutting out intermittently. I ended up having the camera assembly replaced and currently have Autopilot and FSD Beta functionality back on my vehicle. I will update if that changes.
Good to see it's hardware related, at least there is a root cause in this case! (Hopefully!)