Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

System Not Producing, Anything I Can Do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called SolarEdge again and after about a 20 minute hold I spoke with a very nice person. Surprisingly I gave her my address and she was able to immediately see what the problem was and that I was a Tesla customer. She said they were going to send the inverter to Tesla but I instead asked her to send it to me since Tesla doesn't even know yet that I have a bad inverter.

I should be getting an email from SolarEdge and I'm hoping a tracking number and then I can call Tesla and let them know to do a replacement on Thursday rather than diagnostics.

I just called SolarEdge again and after about a 20 minute hold I spoke with a very nice person. Surprisingly I gave her my address and she was able to immediately see what the problem was and that I was a Tesla customer. She said they were going to send the inverter to Tesla but I instead asked her to send it to me since Tesla doesn't even know yet that I have a bad inverter.

I should be getting an email from SolarEdge and I'm hoping a tracking number and then I can call Tesla and let them know to do a replacement on Thursday rather than diagnostics.
Yay! So happy this method worked for you too. Fingers crossed for you Tesla can get it installed in a timely manner.

Just a quick update to keep the thread going. I did get an automated email from SolarEdge yesterday a few hours after I called with the approved RMA information (this must be a known issue with how easy and little information I had to provide). Unfortunately, even though I called in the morning and am only a few hours from SolarEdge's Bay Area office the replacement did not ship yet. I have Tesla scheduled to come Thursday afternoon but as far as they know this is still just for diagnostics. I'm still crossing my fingers I can get the replacement inverter before the scheduled visit.

Just the tracking information for the replacement inverter from SolarEdge and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow via UPS ground so it must be shipping from the Bay Area as hoped. I just got off the phone with Tesla and let them know to expect to replace my inverter on Thursday so fingers crossed I'll be back up and running on Thursday afternoon.

Tesla came out today, actually early, and the tech was surprised that I already had the replacement inverter even though I called Tesla service and they said they would put that in the notes. The tech was here less than an hour and I'm back up and running. The only downside is that I have to ship the old inverter back but that's not a huge deal.

I'm disappointed in that the system failed on a Monday, and then Tesla didn't email me about the problem until Wednesday afternoon. I'm sure if it wasn't for this forum I would be stuck waiting for Tesla to order a replacement inverter and then schedule another visit.

Since everything is online these days why doesn't the inverter push that error message when it happens? Probably because customer service is a thing of the past unfortunately. It's also odd that with such a hard failure that the inverter's RED LED wasn't ON and flashing of a problem.

I didn't have to reset my "little black box gateway" and the app is showing data. I haven't tried the SE App yet as I didn't want to push my luck so I'll wait another day for that. I'll probably call Tesla and get them to let me use the SE app so I have 2 places to check down the road.

Thanks again for everyone's help and guidance!

Tesla came out today, actually early, and the tech was surprised that I already had the replacement inverter even though I called Tesla service and they said they would put that in the notes. The tech was here less than an hour and I'm back up and running. The only downside is that I have to ship the old inverter back but that's not a huge deal.

I'm disappointed in that the system failed on a Monday, and then Tesla didn't email me about the problem until Wednesday afternoon. I'm sure if it wasn't for this forum I would be stuck waiting for Tesla to order a replacement inverter and then schedule another visit.

Since everything is online these days why doesn't the inverter push that error message when it happens? Probably because customer service is a thing of the past unfortunately. It's also odd that with such a hard failure that the inverter's RED LED wasn't ON and flashing of a problem.

I didn't have to reset my "little black box gateway" and the app is showing data. I haven't tried the SE App yet as I didn't want to push my luck so I'll wait another day for that. I'll probably call Tesla and get them to let me use the SE app so I have 2 places to check down the road.

Thanks again for everyone's help and guidance!
Glad to hear you are back up and running. I would highly recommend getting access to the SE app, you will be able to see much more detail for your system and at the panel level, and troubleshooting is much easier. I've had a bad optimizer, a wiring issue (squirrels eating through conduit), and an issue with my local grid transformer that would have gone unnoticed without the details in the solaredge application/portal.

Teslas response notwithstanding, I think this thread is a great example of the community here helping one another navigate an issue effectively. Waiting on tesla would have (unfortunately) likely taken the OP much longer to get resolved.

Really happy to see stuff like this get a positive resolution with help from others here.

Tesla came out today…
Congratulations on getting things back up and running so soon. Next time my Solar Edge inverter fails, I will try contacting them directly. But I’m not sure that will help me much, as there are a few key differences in my experiences.
1. Tesla has been able to remotely diagnose my inverter failures. I have never had a technician come out for diagnosis. It is puzzling to me why they would want to send someone out when the errors are readily available. The diagnosis step has always been short and sweet.
2. My long scheduling delays have been with Tesla having someone available for installation, canceling on me and needing to reschedule, having the replacement inverter DOA, having to wait another 10 days for replacement inverter to arrive, 3 more weeks to get Tesla appointment…. Which is now scheduled for Aug 5 to hopefully finally get my production back in full gear, since the inverter went out end of May.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
At the last minute before sending the old inverter back I decided to open it up and snap a few pictures for those curious and haven't seen inside. Unfortunately they aren't the greatest pictures so I fail as a photographer! Nothing obviously damaged although it was nice to see that they conformaly coat all the boards but it looks like that could have been done a little better job.

Attachments

• 2021-07-30 10.13.01.jpg
    2021-07-30 10.13.01.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 112
  • 2021-07-30 10.13.27.jpg
    2021-07-30 10.13.27.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 54
  • 2021-07-30 10.13.32.jpg
    2021-07-30 10.13.32.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2021-07-30 10.13.38.jpg
    2021-07-30 10.13.38.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 2021-07-30 10.14.26.jpg
    2021-07-30 10.14.26.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2021-07-30 10.14.43.jpg
    2021-07-30 10.14.43.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 2021-07-30 10.14.55.jpg
    2021-07-30 10.14.55.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 55
I'm back ...

Would you freaking believe that my inverter failed again! Almost exactly 1 year later and it looks like it stopped working on Monday.

For some reason I can't get the mySolarEdge app to fully connect to gather logs but I contacted SolarEdge and they confirmed it needs replacing BUT it could take up to 30 days for me to get a replacement.

Wonderful Tesla support offered zero support (or knowledge) and claimed that they need to send a tech to diagnose and repair. I told them they don't repair anything but of course that fell on deaf ears. Their first available appointment is 10/17!

I've tried completely power cycling the inverter and trying to connect but the app tries and then just gives me a whoops page. The inverter creates the AP and my phone connects to it successfully but then the app spins and just fails from there.

So sad ...

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
I'm back ...

Would you freaking believe that my inverter failed again! Almost exactly 1 year later and it looks like it stopped working on Monday.

For some reason I can't get the mySolarEdge app to fully connect to gather logs but I contacted SolarEdge and they confirmed it needs replacing BUT it could take up to 30 days for me to get a replacement.

Wonderful Tesla support offered zero support (or knowledge) and claimed that they need to send a tech to diagnose and repair. I told them they don't repair anything but of course that fell on deaf ears. Their first available appointment is 10/17!

I've tried completely power cycling the inverter and trying to connect but the app tries and then just gives me a whoops page. The inverter creates the AP and my phone connects to it successfully but then the app spins and just fails from there.

So sad ...
Wow, these SE inverters are failing pretty often and quickly after failing and being replaced.

To make matters worse, SE support was trying to blame the failure on "grid instability" Here's part of our chat:

[2022-09-23 10:51:42] [Rajiv.A] Thank you for your patience, and apologies for the extended wait, I was able to pull up the inverter information, and it does look like the inverter has an internal failure. We can proceed with an RMA and have it ship to your address once it is ready, or you can provide that case number to your installers, so that they receive it for you, and can then install it.
[2022-09-23 10:52:40] [George ] Please ship it to my address. WHY is this the 2nd inverter to fail after 1 year of service!
[2022-09-23 10:59:51] [Rajiv.A] It may also have to do with grid voltage instability, I checked the logs of your inverter prior to the hardware failure, it flagged codes pertaining to grid instability that was detected constantly with intervals of 2-3 within a day.
[2022-09-23 11:01:00] [George ] what you saw could have been because of rain we got last sunday and monday? i see that it died around 12-1 on monday
[2022-09-23 11:01:50] [George ] but when you say grid instability are you referring to the solar array or the actual electricity provider network?
[2022-09-23 11:02:51] [Rajiv.A] Grid instability is referring to the power with large variance coming from the grid/utility/electricity company.
[2022-09-23 11:03:35] [George ] that would be extremely unusual. can you email me those logs please
[2022-09-23 11:04:34] [Rajiv.A] Unfortunately, those logs are for internal use only. I am unable to share that with you.

To make matters worse, SE support was trying to blame the failure on "grid instability" Here's part of our chat:
Do you have voltage reference datalogged so you know your grid voltage is stable?

With my eGauge I have that record, but it is pretty common to have grid voltage instability. If your grid is frequently going out of range, the PV inverter can stop and start with that dirty power. This could cause issues over a period of time, or could be just an excuse.

I didn't know that it was possible as the system owner to contact Solaredge to try and get support before I saw the bump on this thread. I've gone ahead and logged a support case for my 18xB7 failure to try and speed things along before Tesla gets around to coming out on 10/3 to see the failure for themselves. Having all of this sun right now with very clean panels after the recent rains is so frustrating.

From my point of view this device is designed to connect to a grid and should be able to handle any instabilities. IF my grid was truly unstable enough to damage the inverter than what about all the electronics in my house or anything on the grid in my area? You'd expect to see failures of all sorts of equipment and complaints.

I did install EmporiaVue in my main panel with CT on the mains as well as 16 breakers. I'm not sure if it actually measures and records the voltages but I'll look into it and see if there is anything.

Having all of this sun right now with very clean panels after the recent rains is so frustrating.

Ditto that @Redhill_qik I'm up in the Sacramento area so I thought the same thing!

From my point of view this device is designed to connect to a grid and should be able to handle any instabilities. IF my grid was truly unstable enough to damage the inverter than what about all the electronics in my house or anything on the grid in my area? You'd expect to see failures of all sorts of equipment and complaints.

I did install EmporiaVue in my main panel with CT on the mains as well as 16 breakers. I'm not sure if it actually measures and records the voltages but I'll look into it and see if there is anything.

Ditto that @Redhill_qik I'm up in the Sacramento area so I thought the same thing!
I'm not making excuses, just saying that other electronic devices do not have to disconnect from the grid if it is dirty. Inverters do, as the UL rules are different than a computer or a microwave.

Reactions: h2ofun
Fair enough but I question how "dirty" the grid really is and the whole design intent of this device is to sit on the grid so whatever that fluctuation is should not be outside the design of the inverter. If voltage spikes were really that bad to cause a failure in the inverter I really fail to see how other devices on the grid would not be impacted. It's not like we're in the mid West and have to deal with regular lightning strikes.

I just wish I could get the app to connect so I could get the logs to see what they say. I just downloaded the data from Emporia and unfortunately it just logs kWh and even that may be based on a fixed 220V or 110V and any actual voltage measurements.

What eGauge do you have? Now I'm curious and I might hook something up and start logging the voltage to my server and see what it looks like over time.