Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

System Stops Working after PTO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My system was installed right before Memorial day and has been running perfectly in limited non-PTO self-consumption mode. Yesterday I received approval for PTO from Tesla and followed the steps to turn on PTO in the app. The system continued running smoothly until some time this morning when I opened the app to see my system in standby mode and all power coming from the grid. There is ample sunshine today and the powerwall's have 31% charge but nothing is bring produced or pulling from the powerwalls. I went through all troubleshooting steps 3 times, turning everything off for longer periods each time hoping something would change, but nothing happens. I turn the system back on and the inverter LED blinks 1 time every 5 seconds, the powerwalls have solid green. I have the backup switch so I have no way to reset that, but the app submitted a ticket to Tesla...Anyone have similar experience or shall I wait for Tesla to contact me?

Out of curiosity I tried putting my system into off-grid mode since the powerwalls have enough charge to run the home for a few hours at least. The app would not allow it so I logged into the gateway locally. The system went in to off-grid mode and after a few minutes the inverter kicked on and started powering the home and charging the powerwalls. So everything works but something in the system, perhaps on Tesla's side, is preventing the system from operating on grid.

Out of curiosity I tried putting my system into off-grid mode since the powerwalls have enough charge to run the home for a few hours at least. The app would not allow it so I logged into the gateway locally. The system went in to off-grid mode and after a few minutes the inverter kicked on and started powering the home and charging the powerwalls. So everything works but something in the system, perhaps on Tesla's side, is preventing the system from operating on grid.
Contact Tesla and make sure they know you have PTO.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Just to update, I chatted online with Tesla several times today, both the inverter support and powerwall support. I explained that the system went in to standby over night after changing the app Permission to Export = on. I also suggested that the system would operate fully if I turned off the grid power or moved it to 'off-grid' in the app. I mentioned several times that I got the email telling me to turn on the system. Ultimately, after turning all the switches on and off, they told me they will monitor my system for 24 hours and if it doesn't turn back on tomorrow morning they will open a ticket to tier 2 support.