Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Systems are powering up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
The following has now happened twice - last Friday and again today. In both instances my car sat in the underground parking garage while I was at work all day. But it did not happen over the weekend at home when the car was plugged into the HPWC. I get into the car to go home and initially all screens are dead and then the dashboard says:
! Systems Are Powering Up
Press Brake When This Message Clears

The car is dead quiet as nothing is running, not even the HVAC. I try pressing the brake and nothing happens at first, but after a minute or two the car does turn on when I press the brake pedal but the 17" screen stays dead. I try to reboot it by pressing the two scroll buttons but nothing for a few minutes. It it is eerie driving the car with the main screen dead and no backup cam or parking sensors.

Finally the screen comes alive - I am not sure if it was due to my reboot or not. But still things are not right - the temperature indicator is "stuck" on the right hand side of the dashboard - even when I change that display to the clock or media, the temp still displays on top of what should be there. This also persists for a minute or two. Finally that clears but the media in the right half of the dash does not display Album Art, even though I am playing Slacker which always displays album art. This finally corrects after two hours or so and a couple of stops.

Has anyone else seen this recently? Could this be an issue with the 12V battery?

There are a few threads here with people describing similar issues but they are all fairly old and are prior to 7.0 - i am on 7.1 something.

This doesn't indicate anything wrong, this is simply the power saving mode doing it's thing. If you don't want to see it, disable power saving in the settings.
I have power saving mode enabled and this most certainly is not the normal behavior.

Once or twice in the past year, I've experienced what you described: the "Systems Are Powering Up" message stayed on the instrument panel, and the 17" display was unresponsive. I had to reboot both the center console (by holding the scroll wheels down for 30 seconds), and the instrument panel (holding the upper buttons above the scroll wheels) and that resolved the problem.

This doesn't indicate anything wrong, this is simply the power saving mode doing it's thing. If you don't want to see it, disable power saving in the settings.

I was getting tired of seeing this (especially when I only got out the car for a few moments), so disabled this mode and it still happened to me -_-

My center screen works though, just annoying waiting for the car.

I had this happen to me too recently. Never had it happen in the 3 years prior. Within the same week, I also had one other time where the 17" display did not boot up and on a separate occasion the music would not play any sound eventhough it indicated it was playing and the volume was at about 6. All of these things happened within a week's time period, but have not happened again in the week following.

I had this once, also not in power-save mode. It cleared after I reset the screen. I did press the break pedal while I was holding the reset buttons down. The car started, but without HVAC. As soon as the large screen rebooted, HVAC came back on. Did not happen since - knock on wood.

This has happened to me several times and it is very annoying. I have Power Saving Mode turned off and Always Connected selected. But still, at least once a week (but more at times) I will see this. It wouldn't be so bad first thing in the morning, but it happens when I run into the store for milk or something too. 7 pm, park in front of grocery store, 7:07 pm "Systems are powering up". This scenario has happened to many four times at least since the start of 2016. How deep could the sleep get in 7 minutes?!?

Interesting. I saw this too yesterday. I've got power saving on, it's plugged in, and hasn't been driven for three weeks so probably warranted. I guess I should get out and drive it more (but 12000 mi in 7 months seems like plenty).

I had it happen once a few months ago, and haven't seen it since.
I have power saving off.
-When it did happen, the car was acting like it hadn't been driven in a month. I had actually driven it for an hour and stopped for 10 minutes. was going to bring it in if it happened again, but it never did.

The following has now happened twice - last Friday and again today. In both instances my car sat in the underground parking garage while I was at work all day. But it did not happen over the weekend at home when the car was plugged into the HPWC. I get into the car to go home and initially all screens are dead and then the dashboard says:
! Systems Are Powering Up
Press Brake When This Message Clears

The car is dead quiet as nothing is running, not even the HVAC. I try pressing the brake and nothing happens at first, but after a minute or two the car does turn on when I press the brake pedal but the 17" screen stays dead. I try to reboot it by pressing the two scroll buttons but nothing for a few minutes. It it is eerie driving the car with the main screen dead and no backup cam or parking sensors.

Finally the screen comes alive - I am not sure if it was due to my reboot or not. But still things are not right - the temperature indicator is "stuck" on the right hand side of the dashboard - even when I change that display to the clock or media, the temp still displays on top of what should be there. This also persists for a minute or two. Finally that clears but the media in the right half of the dash does not display Album Art, even though I am playing Slacker which always displays album art. This finally corrects after two hours or so and a couple of stops.

Has anyone else seen this recently? Could this be an issue with the 12V battery?

There are a few threads here with people describing similar issues but they are all fairly old and are prior to 7.0 - i am on 7.1 something.

I had a similar issue. It ended with a new MCU/screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, you're one of the early autopilot cars - as is mine. I was corresponding with another fellow who had the same thing, and also with an early autopilot car. I suspect there might be an issue a given batch of MCUs

I don't think so. I have Energy Savings Off / Always Connected selected and see this message about 75% of the time... but only since v7.1 if I recall. I can run into a store for 5 minutes and see it when I come back to the car.

I have also been seeing this message just in the past couple of days. Yesterday I pre-heated for 5-6 minutes before I left work, which usually wakes the car up, and when I came out to it the car was awake but still had the powering-up message. Not a big deal as it only takes 10-15 seconds to do whatever it's doing, but it is a new behaviour. I have made no changes to my settings recently, have always had power-saving enabled with communication on.

I don't think so. I have Energy Savings Off / Always Connected selected and see this message about 75% of the time... but only since v7.1 if I recall. I can run into a store for 5 minutes and see it when I come back to the car.

This has been my experience as well. In v6.x, I noticed it maybe twice in over 6 months of ownership. In v7.x, I see it multiple times a week, and even when I'm gone for under 10 minutes in a store.

This behavior (screens dark when entering car, slow HVAC and audio response for a minute or two, etc.) suddenly began happening to my car today. Of the 8 times I have started my car today, the screens were dark upon entry 7 times.
The first time it happened, first thing this AM after sitting overnight, the main screen would not display my calendar, saying that the phone was not connected. But after I stopped the car at my first appointment, and then came out an hour or so later and started it again, the phone was connected and the calendar was acting normally.

To the best of my recollection, this has only happened to me once or twice before in the 6 months I have had the car. As I recall, that was when first starting the car after sitting overnight, with cold ambient temperatures (hence, a cold battery) and perhaps a low state of charge.
The car operates normally after perhaps 2 minutes of starting the screens (except for the Bluetooth issue mentioned above), and driving off. Audio and HVAC controls are slow to react for maybe a minute or two, and then act normal.

Energy Saving -- I was not sure so I just checked -- I have had Energy Savings "On," so i turned it off and we will see if that changes the behavior.

One other thing is that the car was acting a bit weird yesterday, as well -- audio stuttering is the main symptom I recall. Something reminded me of how it behaves for a day or two before a software update, but I have not heard of any new ones coming that I do not have.

FWIW, I am retired, have no normal commute, and have used the car for mostly short local trips in the past few days. I did make two 20-mile trips on Sunday.

I have not called service, because everything seems to work normally once it fires up, but I plan to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jslanger