Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Systems are powering up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has also happened to me 3 times in the past few days -- 2 of those where my MS had been OFF for well less than 10 mins, one when it had been OFF for a few hours overnight including a HPWC charging session. I do have Energy Savings ON. I've never had this happen before on my 5-month old S90D, so perhaps it's been triggered with new firmware updates I've applied in the past 10 days -- perhaps not, but an interesting coincidence.

I just had it happen for the first time ever. The car was parked overnight, fully charged (88%), I unplugged it and the main screen was blank and the small screen had the "System powering up" message. After waiting about 4 minutes, I googled the message and found this thread and tried the steering wheel controls reboot which worked.

Power Save is off and I'm on the current software version 7.12.126.

This has only been happening to me for the last 3 or so weeks but happens almost every time I get in the car. I thought it was a firmware thing but it is very annoying as I am used to being able to get in the car and drive off before the guy next to me can start his car, now he leaves before my car finishes "powering up".

Sounds kind of like something is not initializing properly and it has to time out before finishing start up. So what all happens when you come back to the car to start it up? Some possibilities: Bluetooth connecting, 3G connection initializing, audio initializing...not sure what else. For anyone who has this happening frequently, might be worthwhile to play around with testing removing USB devices and/or deleting Bluetooth phone setup and see if behavior changes. Might be a start to narrowing down the problem.

This is one of the rarely discussed negatives of having a huge 17" touchscreen in charge of all the displays and UI that receives over the air updates. Complex computer systems sometimes lock up, and updates can introduce new bugs that didn't exist before. Not sure there is a good fix for this, but having a more open interface to the system and better public diagnostics might go a long way towards identifying and ultimately fixing these types of issues. Or even just a more public reporting of issues they are actively working on (possibly excluding security issues) would go a long way towards making everyone experiencing issues feel more comfortable.

Agreed. This anomaly was more recently introduced. Too coincidental a number of us are having more of these symptoms now, esp with different aged vehicles (and therefore 17") involved.

Same happened to me a few weeks ago. Couple days later the dashboard said to replace the 12v battery. Service center replaced the battery and things have gone back to normal. I'd guess that's the problem and not a bug in the software (don't worry, there are 800 other software bugs to blame things on).

Same happened to me a few weeks ago. Couple days later the dashboard said to replace the 12v battery. Service center replaced the battery and things have gone back to normal. I'd guess that's the problem and not a bug in the software (don't worry, there are 800 other software bugs to blame things on).

Still anecdotal sadly. My car goes "powering up" about 5 times a week (and there are 2-3 days a week I don't drive it at all) for all of 2016 now and no 12v issues (so far).

Happened to me yesterday.
This "systems are powering up" issue has happened to me dozens of times. And no, I didn't have the power save option engaged. (I called a few months ago about this - and they told me to turn that off - but the problem still persists). I'm taking the car in tomorrow for the Ludicrous upgrade - and I'll tell them about the issue (I was asked to write down when it happens so I will have a fairly detailed log - which I hope will lead to a correction). I noticed someone earlier mentioned that they brought their car in for servicing and would mention the issue - was it corrected? I suspect it was (because if it wasn't, you'd probably be back on this forum.

Let us know what you find out please. My car has been to service three times since I mentioned noticing the dramatic increase in this happening. It still does it almost every since day, even when I precondition the car via the app or open the trunk and load up before getting in the driver's seat.

Happened to me for the first time today. Went into drug store for about 3 minutes. When returned, encountered the problem. Resolved itself after 1-2 minutes. 2016 Model S.Owned car since mid-April. I'll call service (Raleigh, NC) in the next couple days to see if they have any updated info.

Me too. FWIW... Happens to me quite often somewhere within the last couple of firmware updates. I want to say 25-50% of the time! but Imcant substantiate that with facts. It happens with Range Mode ON or OFF; Sometimes when I'm doing errands parked for just 10-20 minutes; I usually have more than 80% charge so that can't be the issue; Temps remain moderate 60's to 70's so the MS hasn't been too hot or too cold; Sometimes when I jump in a few hours after a scheduled or overnight 90% charge; Sometimes -- but not always -- when my MS has not been driven for more than a day (I could accept that, although I never had this the first few months of ownership)...

I have found no rhyme nor reason for this "new" message. It's annoying at best and on my list to report next time I head into the SC.

this happened to me today. end of december S60 with partial EAP enabled firmware (20.50.185)
Car was parked for 2 hrs and i have power saving mode enabled and always connected disabled (to reduce vampire loss due to teslafi polling). Per the Teslafi logs, car was asleep when this occurred.

is this an issue? for those who have seen it before, what resolved it?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 80
It is happened to me (2015 70D) a few times, not recently. I never use range mode and have it set for "always connected." Nothing was obvious to me at the time. I just waited for it to "power up," and then drove off. Has not happened enough for me to worry about it. Seems to be in the same category as the times when the center screen reboots itself for no apparent reason. That has happened a couple of times in 15 months, maybe more, and is surprising but does not affect driving so I haven't reported it. Car seems to operate normally otherwise.

• Helpful
Reactions: seevT
I received this error message three times today - the first time after I drove my car following another software update. I never received the error message before. The first time I pressed the brake and and shifter into reverse (parked in the garage) and it finally let me drive. I reversed out of the garage and across the street to the mail box. Parked with the driver door open, picked up my mail ~30 seconds, got back in the car and the message was displayed again. I waited then pressed the brake and shifter into drive, finally I was able to drive to a store about 10 minutes away. The error message appeared after I returned to the car about 15 minutes later. I drove to a second store about 5 minutes away. The error message appeared after I returned to the car about 15 minutes later. Seriously?