Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T boned by deer (graphic photo)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning we (family and myself) were heading to Dallas ...just few miles from our home and at 9.40am we were hit by a deer.

It came out of no where until it T boned my side. The force was such that it hit my side and flew in opposite direction and was found dead on opposite side of the road.

Luckily my door mirror did not shatter ...else we would have been in a terrible accident.

Good news...nobody got hurt and car is in a drive able state

Bad news....left side mirror and body damage..:scared:
Deer 3.jpg

Questions to you guys:

1. Anyone have Liberty Mutual and went through this before?
2. Is this filed under comprehensive insurance?

Here are the pictures

Let me know what you guys and gals think

Deer Hit 4.jpg
Deer Hit 1.jpg
Deer Hit 6.jpg

Yes this is comprehensive. Good that you documented. Poor deer. Lucky people to be in a Tesla. I have had several near misses with deer and my Tesla. Call Liberty Mutual early Monday to report and get the process started. It will be frustrating, just be patient and polite. Sugar typically works better than vinegar.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad everyone is safe.

The hardest repair of that damage is going to be the driver's side rear quarter panel. The doors and window sections shouldn't take too long. But the quarter panel is tricky because if it can't be smoothed on the vehicle, the entire panel has to be cut from the car, a new one welded on, the entire area prepped and painted in place on the vehicle, probably with repainting of adjacent panels to match.

I had the same thing happen to our BMW 335D 6 weeks ago. Slowed down for the pack of deer and they went across the rode. The straggler ran into the side of the car (he bounced off and kept going). Not a scratch on the paint (deer is soft) but caved in the front fender. But the car is now back at the body shop because 1) the paint was a terrible match (more than 60 variants of this color depending on year/model/assembly plant) and 2) last week something fell from the sky (or was kicked up by a truck) that shattered the sunroof then bounced and put some deep gouges in the trunk lid. I'm thinking nature is trying to destroy my car.

Not a Tesla owner yet. The S is a little too much for me, the Model 3 will be perfect.

Yeah, I certainly know that feeling, had the exact same thing happen to my 2 week old 350Z a decade ago. Stupid deer ran into the driver side door and bounced down the side of the car. Not as much damage though...

2015-10-11_20-07-12.jpg

The issue I had was that insurance (Progressive) originally designated this as collision, not comprehensive and I didn't know this until my insurance renewal. Insurance doubled so I called the 800 number. Many many many hours later of talking to manager after manager, I was finally told by some escalation manager basically "you are right, we are wrong, and there is absolutely no way we can fix it now. This is something I have never told anyone before but the only way to resolve it at this point is to get insurance with another company and we will provide a letter stating this was not a collision claim". So I switch to Geico and my rate was cut in half, back to what it was.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad everyone is safe.

The hardest repair of that damage is going to be the driver's side rear quarter panel. The doors and window sections shouldn't take too long. But the quarter panel is tricky because if it can't be smoothed on the vehicle, the entire panel has to be cut from the car, a new one welded on, the entire area prepped and painted in place on the vehicle, probably with repainting of adjacent panels to match.

This is exactly I was thinking...I was praying that the rear panel can be smoothed.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad you are OK. It always breaks my heart when a deer is killed. I just bought new deer whistles that showed up yesterday. I think I'll put them on right now. They really do work.

My heart broke when I saw that deer was dead..but I am at the same time thankful that nothing happened to my family..

- - - Updated - - -

The issue I had was that insurance (Progressive) originally designated this as collision, not comprehensive and I didn't know this until my insurance renewal. Insurance doubled so I called the 800 number. Many many many hours later of talking to manager after manager, I was finally told by some escalation manager basically "you are right, we are wrong, and there is absolutely no way we can fix it now. This is something I have never told anyone before but the only way to resolve it at this point is to get insurance with another company and we will provide a letter stating this was not a collision claim". So I switch to Geico and my rate was cut in half, back to what it was.

Thanks for the tip...I will make sure it is listed under comprehensive

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch, I wonder how much thats gonna be to fix. Probably two new doors, a new mirror and some glass and some extensive work on the rear fender. I'm guessing $10k!

Ouch....Might be in that range...will know when I take her to the body shop tomorrow for a quote

Glad you are OK. It always breaks my heart when a deer is killed. I just bought new deer whistles that showed up yesterday. I think I'll put them on right now. They really do work.

Not according to research:

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/021118/02111812.htm

In response to the anecdotal evidence, I offer that the following entries have been unanimously concluded the total ineffectiveness of air-powered ultrasonic Deer alerts:

The Georgia Game and Fish Department
The University of Wisconsin at Madison
The University of Michigan
The University of Georgia
The Ohio State Police
The Utah State Police
Washington State University
The University of Connecticut
The Acoustical Society of America
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
The California Department of Transportation
Texas A &M University

Deer Whistles: Do They Really Work? An In Depth Report By Fred Rau | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

I drive where there are so many deer that collisions are unavoidable. They often like to dart onto the road for no reason and you have to expect that to happen. I tell my wife it's like the are trying to commit suicide. The best advice comes from the second link above:

"In the end, the best advice is that which we’ve heard for years: When in an area known to be frequented by deer, slow down, and be alert. Scan the roadsides carefully, and if possible, avoid riding through such areas and dawn or dusk, when the deer are much more likely to be out grazing. And if you do see a deer, or even just a flicker of movement somewhere in your peripheral vision, flash your lights and honk your horn. Even the people who make and sell the electronic alert systems admit that your vehicle horn is likely to be more effective than their deer alerts."

"In the end, the best advice is that which we’ve heard for years: When in an area known to be frequented by deer, slow down, and be alert. Scan the roadsides carefully, and if possible, avoid riding through such areas and dawn or dusk, when the deer are much more likely to be out grazing. And if you do see a deer, or even just a flicker of movement somewhere in your peripheral vision, flash your lights and honk your horn. Even the people who make and sell the electronic alert systems admit that your vehicle horn is likely to be more effective than their deer alerts."

The place I was driving today is not known for deers yet it happened...the deer was in my blind spot jumping towards the car...there was no visual on my dash cam also...all this happened at 9.40am