Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T boned by deer (graphic photo)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had one come out of nowhere to attempt a jump over my car in May. We weren't nearly as lucky as you were. The car tore the deer in 2 pieces and when the windshield separated from the top all the biohazard came into the cabin and on me and my family. The rear half of the deer shattered the driver side window. We had glass and biohazard all over us and the cabin. No airbags deployed. Horrible experience. Cull these damn deer...
3 months to repair, $35k I think. To eliminate any biohazard issues they replaced the dash, vents, carpet, headliner, driver seat.
The care came out very nice.
0524151946.jpg
0524151946a.jpg
0524151946c.jpg
0524151946d.jpg

I had one come out of nowhere to attempt a jump over my car in May. We weren't nearly as lucky as you were. The car tore the deer in 2 pieces and when the windshield separated from the top all the biohazard came into the cabin and on me and my family. The rear half of the deer shattered the driver side window. We had glass and biohazard all over us and the cabin. No airbags deployed. Horrible experience. Cull these damn deer...
3 months to repair, $35k I think. To eliminate any biohazard issues they replaced the dash, vents, carpet, headliner, driver seat.

Oh shoot...this is way worse than ours...glad you guys are doing good. hopefully no one was injured.

Thanks for the pics...your post makes me feel lot better.

Thanks again for sharing

The broken glass was everywhere and I had the most scratches on my face and arms, both front passengers had glass in our mouth. Other than that the car performed great. I highly doubt the windshield on the X would have done so well without the top structural member holding the deer out. We still were lucky, if the windshield had fallen in, with the animal... that would have been bad news for sure.

The first time I installed them, I put them under the front diffuser, back about 8" or so, left and right, because I didn't want to see them, or have others see them. But I don't think that plastic is a solid enough foundation for them to stay on. They would fall off after a couple of months. Too much abuse from road debris, I expect. Yesterday, I mounted them under the side mirrors, on the mirror mounts (not the part that folds). They are noticeable, but they kind of look good. Very techy, I guess (a stretch, I know). I'd rather have them invisible but can't think of where else to put them. I am not sure about their effectiveness at this new location yet. I haven't seen a deer today. But I can tell you that when I had them under the diffuser, when I approached a deer, which was every day, they always stopped what they were doing and looked up right at me. And I mean straight at me. Wierd. The value is that it stops them for a second so that I have a chance to react. Even when they are running. Stops them dead in their tracks every time. I think they are well worth the measly five bucks they cost on Amazon. Why not? They are very easy to mount with supplied 3M double stick tape. Takes about five minutes, if that. Just wipe the mounting area with denatured alcohol to ensure that is is completely free of any contaminates and they stick well. I did not stick them on the front bumper because they need a lot of air flow. The more air, the louder they are to the deer; I can't hear a thing. At all.

One deer=2-3K. Two whistles=$5.

At Amazon:

2 of Bell Automotive 22-1-01000-8 Black Deer Warning

Assuming they work well and you find it easy to mount them, post about it please. I might get it my car. I've had a few close calls (ones in the Model S).

- - - Updated - - -

The brainiacs may have studied this. My experience has been quite different.

Not according to research:

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/021118/02111812.htm

In response to the anecdotal evidence, I offer that the following entries have been unanimously concluded the total ineffectiveness of air-powered ultrasonic Deer alerts:

The Georgia Game and Fish Department
The University of Wisconsin at Madison
The University of Michigan
The University of Georgia
The Ohio State Police
The Utah State Police
Washington State University
The University of Connecticut
The Acoustical Society of America
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
The California Department of Transportation
Texas A &M University

Deer Whistles: Do They Really Work? An In Depth Report By Fred Rau | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

I drive where there are so many deer that collisions are unavoidable. They often like to dart onto the road for no reason and you have to expect that to happen. I tell my wife it's like the are trying to commit suicide. The best advice comes from the second link above:

"In the end, the best advice is that which we’ve heard for years: When in an area known to be frequented by deer, slow down, and be alert. Scan the roadsides carefully, and if possible, avoid riding through such areas and dawn or dusk, when the deer are much more likely to be out grazing. And if you do see a deer, or even just a flicker of movement somewhere in your peripheral vision, flash your lights and honk your horn. Even the people who make and sell the electronic alert systems admit that your vehicle horn is likely to be more effective than their deer alerts."

What is your experience? Not having hit a deer? If so, you are in a low risk state for hitting one in the first place so your odds of hitting one are very low. Do you see them go running away when you come along? Well, so do I, and I don't have those devices on my vehicle. What else is your experience? Stopping and looking at you? That's where the look of "a deer in the headlights comes from". It's very common. If you claim every single one stops and looks at you, I don't believe it. Studies would show that and they don't. I like to go with those who have conducted studies but I'd be interested in hearing what your experience is. It bothers me when people try to sell things like gas savers that plug into your cigarette lighter, or deer whistles that stick onto your car, and that do the same thing as the gas saver, which is nothing, according to extensive studies of both devices.

Last edited:
So an update:

I received an guess (estimate) from the body shop. Roughly 8.5K to 10K.

Both doors on driver side and rear quarter panel needs to be replaced.

Estimated time 2-3 weeks for parts ordering. 2-3 weeks to work on the car.

:mad:

On a side note, if you didn't have power folding mirrors before, this is likely the time to bite the bullet and do the retrofit.

On a side note, if you didn't have power folding mirrors before, this is likely the time to bite the bullet and do the retrofit.

Yes I have had power folding mirrors... Thanks cyclone

- - - Updated - - -

Called it!

FYI if insurance wasn't covering it, at a skilled body shop you could likely get away with just one new door and have them pull the rest of the dents and you'd never know the difference for like 20% of that cost.

Yes you nailed it....I was thinking about your post and had it in mind when I received the estimate...

You may believe what you like. I have noticed a significant difference in their behavior since installing them. Based on the simple fact that I see multiple deer per day, living in a rural and heavily wooded area with lots of wildlife tells me that I do not live in a low risk area. Your experience may well be different than mine and I am not arguing that point. I am simply saying that mine is different.

What is your experience? Not having hit a deer? If so, you are in a low risk state for hitting one in the first place so your odds of hitting one are very low. Do you see them go running away when you come along? Well, so do I, and I don't have those devices on my vehicle. What else is your experience? Stopping and looking at you? That's where the look of "a deer in the headlights comes from". It's very common. If you claim every single one stops and looks at you, I don't believe it. Studies would show that and they don't. I like to go with those who have conducted studies but I'd be interested in hearing what your experience is. It bothers me when people try to sell things like gas savers that plug into your cigarette lighter, or deer whistles that stick onto your car, and that do the same thing as the gas saver, which is nothing, according to extensive studies of both devices.