Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T-Boned in a Shopping Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ironically I was rear ended today, but by a P85D! I wasn't in my Tesla at the time, I was driving my Subaru as the Tesla is down in Salt Lake at the the service center getting some work done.

Subaru had some minor rear bumper damage that would probably buff out, but the Tesla had a front bumper crack. I let him off as the Subi is already 12 years old and is rather beat up already. I felt bad the guy probably had several thousand in repair ahead. We shot a little video on my phone saying on camera that I was cool with not persuing it, and he said he did it, and was thankful I wasn't going to seek damages and we both went on with our day.

Ironically I was rear ended today, but by a P85D! I wasn't in my Tesla at the time, I was driving my Subaru as the Tesla is down in Salt Lake at the the service center getting some work done.

Subaru had some minor rear bumper damage that would probably buff out, but the Tesla had a front bumper crack. I let him off as the Subi is already 12 years old and is rather beat up already. I felt bad the guy probably had several thousand in repair ahead. We shot a little video on my phone saying on camera that I was cool with not persuing it, and he said he did it, and was thankful I wasn't going to seek damages and we both went on with our day.

That was kind of you. I usually don't take the lowest deductible option for insurance but I will definitely do so for my upcoming Model X.

Reactions: DiamondHands

Didn't P85D ship with autopilot that has crash avoidance?

Tap the other FWD door with a hammer and you are looking at totaled X with new ap2.0 X on the way. I won't tell
Would you care to share the name of your insurance company with us? Because I will.
TMC Forum is no place for discussing how to commit insurance fraud. And no thanks to you for ways to raise premiums for all others.

For the OP - my apologies at a slight bit of OT. I'm really sorry for your loss, and happy that you incurred no injuries.

Didn't P85D ship with autopilot that has crash avoidance?
AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) is designed to reduce the speed of an impact, not to completely avoid the impact. Or if by "crash avoidance" you mean "the car actively steers away from the impending collision", in my opinion such a feature has never been conclusively documented to exist. It is possible that in the case of @Fiver 's accident the AEB kicked in but we have no way of knowing.

Actually we were both stopped at a stoplight, he was behind me. There were two turning lanes to make a left turn, and we were in the right of the two. The left of the two lanes was empty, so he (after coming to a stop behind me) tried to maneuver around me into the empty lane next to me and smacked my bumper as there wasn't enough room to make the turn into that lane. I'd say he was going 5mph tops, so not enough speed to cause serious damage, but enough to crack the plastic on the front passenger side of his bumper, kind of near the fog lamps.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
We shot a little video on my phone saying on camera that I was cool with not persuing it, and he said he did it, and was thankful I wasn't going to seek damages and we both went on with our day.

That's a great idea! I would not have thought of that. I've spent a lot of time living in mountain towns ( Park City included ) and minor dings seem to be the norm -- sliding thru stop signs and such. Typically both drivers agreed to call it a draw but I've never documented the fact. This is a valuable suggestion.

Would you care to share the name of your insurance company with us? Because I will.
TMC Forum is no place for discussing how to commit insurance fraud. And no thanks to you for ways to raise premiums for all others.

For the OP - my apologies at a slight bit of OT. I'm really sorry for your loss, and happy that you incurred no injuries.
Maybe you misinterpreted @number12's post? I'm pretty sure he was joking. First clue was he wasn't going to tell anyone, yet he posted it on the internet.

A second look by the estimator has bumped the estimate up to $20K. I contacted him immediately after someone on this forum mentioned that the left wheel looked 'funny'. Now the waiting begins in earnest...:mad:

Wow, they move quick don't they? :eek:

I still think you should push for totaling it... You would likely have a new one sooner than the repair would be completed. (Especially if you could find an inventory one that was to your liking.)

Reactions: davidc18