Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T boned. Totaled or will insurance make us repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is ok, but it looks like the passenger side is in bad shape. The b pillar and lower part of the frame are bent. I can't tell the condition of the battery, but the screen did have some warning sign that said the car needed service. All curtain airbags deployed, and both front windows shattered. The passenger seat is somewhat crumpled as well.

IMG_0565.jpeg
IMG_0566.jpeg

Whoa! Look very bad. Happy knowing that you were safe and the car did a great job protecting you.

Any pictures of the other car involved, or video, and picture of the location? I'm just guessing a passing traffic light or stop sign?

Certainly totaled, the central pillar frame seems damaged and has to be replaced.

but the "fire wall" at the front passenger foot location seems badly damaged too.

There would otherwise be at leat $10k of parts and $20k to $30k of labor or even more.

How many miles? May be you could swap the tires and wheels with some worn out one before going to salvage. And take out also the rear spoiler.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG
On the plus side every time a Tesla gets totaled these modder guys rush in to buy the batteries and convert an old classic into an EV. More and more shops popping up that do this, and they say it's hard to get Tesla to sell them batteries direct so they usually just keep an eye out for wrecked Teslas with usable batteries. There are some really cool old VWs, Porsches, and even some bigger hot rods that people are converting to EVs using "junk” Tesla parts. So your Model 3 could get a second life as a EV conversion.

Reactions: Vaillant
I’m mostly concerned because it sounds like repairs need to equal at least 75% of the cars value for it to be considered totaled. That’s means repairs would have to be over $40k to be considered total? I may be wrong, but that’s what I’ve been reading

I’m mostly concerned because it sounds like repairs need to equal at least 75% of the cars value for it to be considered totaled. That’s means repairs would have to be over $40k to be considered total? I may be wrong, but that’s what I’ve been reading

Cost of repairs + rental cars etc. if you are not at fault, make sure to get a rental car that is as close to your tesla as you can (rather than the $%Q%$$#%@ econobox they will attempt to stick you in.

A month or two in a rental car also adds to the cost.