Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T boned. Totaled or will insurance make us repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just kidding, they called me yesterday and said it is not totaled now. Sigh. They initially evaluated my car as a LR Dual motor.
Once it was adjusted as a performance, it no longer met the threshold to total, yet.
The car is going to a Tesla authorized body shop to be torn down for a better estimate than the initial one

Hopefully they find more damage when they get into it and then decide to total it. Dont forget about the loaner.
Since you are not at fault, push for a nice one. Argue you want something comparable.
The cost of 2 months of loaner car adds up, especially if you dont take the econobox they will try to force you into.

I hope you will be able to see the detail of the repair estimate.

It should also include the cost of a rental for the duration of the repair (not the 30 days you may have with your insurrance) .

And also it should include the Diminished Value amount that the insurance should reimburse you.

This was mine from 10/16. It was determined totaled last week. Ordered a new one on 10/16 just in case they totaled it. It will be totaled based on the laws in your state and insurance company. Most states required it to be totaled if repairs are 75% of actual cash value of the car. I have new car replacement so getting a check for the price of a brand new car.

Did they give you the tax, title, and license costs as part of the payout as well?

How did they base the cost of your car? Did they base it off original purchase price, or current prices? Tesla bounces those prices around so much that I could see it actually making a difference in the total out calculation if they used the price last year when you bought it (example) or what they sell for right now...

How did they base the cost of your car? Did they base it off original purchase price, or current prices? Tesla bounces those prices around so much that I could see it actually making a difference in the total out calculation if they used the price last year when you bought it (example) or what they sell for right now...

I’d say the prices change a lot LESS than the other manufacturers. At least with Tesla, if you and I buy cars side by side, it’s the same.

How does insurance payout work when people need to negotiate their own special little deal for each purchase?

I’d say the prices change a lot LESS than the other manufacturers. At least with Tesla, if you and I buy cars side by side, it’s the same.

How does insurance payout work when people need to negotiate their own special little deal for each purchase?

I don’t actually know, I never was able to purchase a car for below what the dealership was asking so I guess I haven’t thought about it. I would assume it’s based on the MSRP at time of purchase (adjusted of course for age/mileage).

I don’t actually know, I never was able to purchase a car for below what the dealership was asking so I guess I haven’t thought about it. I would assume it’s based on the MSRP at time of purchase (adjusted of course for age/mileage).

That usually depends on what type of car you are buying. I got about 10.5k off my wifes BMW in january after all discounts and loyalty credits etc. I didnt get much off my sons hyundai I bought.. maybe 1k.

The price was based on the current pricing for mine. If it was another car company they would get two quotes fro dealers and all factory and dealer rebates would be factored into the settlement. Price of Tesla’s went up after I ordered my new one and got a settlement based on when the insurance got a quote from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Ok finally got everything sorted out.

Some things I learned:
- I was paid out for cost of a new M3P in White + tax + partial DMV refund
- There are not many M3P on sale in the nation, so it screwed with the valuation of Actual Cash Value (ACV). Car was valued at $60K which was frustrating because it required much more to reach the total value. A brand new one costs $64,990 so its great from a valuation perspective, but bad for my payout case.
- Got paid out for car seat replacements, but they would not pay for tint, chrome delete, PPF. The latter would've added some value to the ACV, but since I had new car added protection, they said they will only pay for me to buy a brand new car which is higher than the ACV
- Initial repair estimate was 20K and the detailed one ended up coming out at 45K. Make sure to always get a estimate from a Tesla approved body shop.
- I got screwed out of $1500 because Elon decided to make White the free color 1-2 months ago.
- With all the pricing changes since I got the car + tax credit decreases, I think overall I came away without losing too much, maybe 3-7K including tint/ppf/chrome delete etc.

Ok finally got everything sorted out.

Some things I learned:
- I was paid out for cost of a new M3P in White + tax + partial DMV refund
- There are not many M3P on sale in the nation, so it screwed with the valuation of Actual Cash Value (ACV). Car was valued at $60K which was frustrating because it required much more to reach the total value. A brand new one costs $64,990 so its great from a valuation perspective, but bad for my payout case.
- Got paid out for car seat replacements, but they would not pay for tint, chrome delete, PPF. The latter would've added some value to the ACV, but since I had new car added protection, they said they will only pay for me to buy a brand new car which is higher than the ACV
- Initial repair estimate was 20K and the detailed one ended up coming out at 45K. Make sure to always get a estimate from a Tesla approved body shop.
- I got screwed out of $1500 because Elon decided to make White the free color 1-2 months ago.
- With all the pricing changes since I got the car + tax credit decreases, I think overall I came away without losing too much, maybe 3-7K including tint/ppf/chrome delete etc.

Have you opted to have your insurance insure aftermarket parts? You might be able to make a claim against yours for the ppf/tint, but I would really investigate if that would increase your premiums. Also, have you talked to your insurance to fight on your behalf to get the tint/ppf covered?

I’ve never paid MSRP (excluding the Tesla).

I ordered a new BMW for about 10% off MSRP as example. Bought a Jeep with about same discount. Maybe higher discount actually. Etc.

I’ve never paid MSRP (excluding the Tesla).

I ordered a new BMW for about 10% off MSRP as example. Bought a Jeep with about same discount. Maybe higher discount actually. Etc.

When I got my Chevy Volt they wouldn’t budge even $100 across three days worth of trying to work up the deal. I don’t think it was MSRP, but it was what the dealer had it posted as. It was the only one on the lot and the only dealer in the area.