TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

T-Rex Silence Update

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by tonybelding, Aug 9, 2007.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Received this info today . . .

Also this great (huge!) photo. . .

http://zobeid.zapto.org/caviar/image/cars/PT2-PHOTO-1.JPG

From this angle I can't see any difference from the standard gas-powered T-Rex (aside from the logo), but maybe that's the point.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Thanks, Tony.

Next to the Tesla Roadster, that would make a real nice, fun, commuter vehicle.

3. tonybelding

Keep in mind, you can put a windshield on a T-Rex but you can't fully enclose it like a car. So weather would be a factor. It also sits very low, so visibility might be a problem on the freeway, surrounded by hulking SUVs. I don't see it as a commuter vehicle, I see it in the same class as the Ariel Atom and Wrightspeed X1, or even the old Lotus Seven -- as a flyweight extreme sports car which is probably most at home on the track, or for Sunday Drives in good weather.

A toy, then. . . but a fabulous toy. :D

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Agreed, although I do see people commuting around in Corbin Sparrows (electric and ICE), which have a similar road footprint.

One issue with the 3 wheeled vehicles is that they are typically registered as a motorcycle. In California that means you must wear a helmet, even if it is fully enclosed.

Speaking of not fulling enclosing a T-rex. The SF bay area has such mild weather that you can be happy with an open car. I see people commuting in Lotus Elise and Viper with no top. Sure around December and January they switch to having a top on all the time, but during the summer months you can pretty much get away with leaving the car open all the time.

5. tonybelding

6. Brent

Brent Member

My single ride in an Elise came in late December last year, in New Jersey, on a cold, blustery day. The top was open, and the owner swore he never used it, cold, rain, whatever. My teeth were chattering, but he seemed quite comfortable with the whole arrangement...