Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T Sportline 18 inch turbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good call on tax saving. Guess I should have ordered the package. They balance it too?

Since you didn’t buy the tires at a discount tires or from Tesla, who will mount them for you?

@ronin, if by mounted you mean tires on the wheels; I think it comes that way if you buy the wheel & tire set package.

I believe they come balanced as well... I've seen tsportline advertise "Tires arrive mounted, balanced, and ready to bolt onto your car." when referencing their tire and wheel sets. But it didn't explicitly say that on the description of the 18s I don't think.

@Tsportline Can you tell us if they come balanced?

I have my own setup for swapping tires (Heavy Duty Jack, Special Model 3 Jack adapters, Torque Wrench, Tire Iron)

Last edited:
Yes, what about the weight? The 19s are heavy. How will that effect performance? I really want them, but am worried about the weight.

The way I rationalized it is that I’ll be running the Tesla 20s in summer. The TST 19s are slightly lighter than the 20s but the winter tires are probably heavier. So all in all, the weight of my wheels with tires will probably be quite similar between summer and winter. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, I concluded that the range/performance would not vary that much for me. That’s how I got comfortable. Also, with Superchargers everywhere, range has never really bugged me with my other Teslas.

@ronin, if by mounted you mean tires on the wheels; I think it comes that way if you buy the wheel & tire set package.

I believe they come balanced as well... I've seen tsportline advertise "Tires arrive mounted, balanced, and ready to bolt onto your car." when referencing their tire and wheel sets. But it didn't explicitly say that on the description of the 18s I don't think.

@Tsportline Can you tell us if they come balanced?

I have my own setup for swapping tires (Heavy Duty Jack, Special Model 3 Jack adapters, Torque Wrench, Tire Iron)
Hah sorry guess I meant installing the wheels. I don’t have the tools like you do. I’m wondering if a tire store or Tesla would install the wheel/tires for a reasonable price for example.

The way I rationalized it is that I’ll be running the Tesla 20s in summer. The TST 19s are slightly lighter than the 20s but the winter tires are probably heavier. So all in all, the weight of my wheels with tires will probably be quite similar between summer and winter. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, I concluded that the range/performance would not vary that much for me. That’s how I got comfortable. Also, with Superchargers everywhere, range has never really bugged me with my other Teslas.
Aside from range, how do the heavier wheels affect acceleration

I have another relevant question regarding the tsportline 18s... Should we expect about the same range on these as we would the Tesla 18" wheel WITHOUT aero covers on?

I was wondering the same thing. They look closer to the cyclone wheels that were supposed to increase range on the model S. It probably isn't much different then the no hubcap 18's though.

I have another relevant question regarding the tsportline 18s... Should we expect about the same range on these as we would the Tesla 18" wheel WITHOUT aero covers on?

I don't remember offhand the weight of the Aeros without the covers. Apparently the TSTs are 21 lb. each. If they are close in weight, I doubt there'd be any noticeable difference.

I don't remember offhand the weight of the Aeros without the covers. Apparently the TSTs are 21 lb. each. If they are close in weight, I doubt there'd be any noticeable difference.

It all depends on the tire choice. From the options listed which are all performance tires, I expect a similar range drop as the 20" performance tires because it the better 18" range has to do with rolling resistance of the rubber rather than the size of the rims. If you put a set of low rolling resistance rubber on the 20" or the 18", you'd get a similar range as the 18" stock tires with the aero covers removed.

Reactions: TheLocNar
Actually, I just did a quick google search on the subject and found this super informative article:

There could be a reason Tesla decided to use heavyweight 20" and that could be to improve driving feel (as well as lower costs).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=108
Our experience showed that the heavyweight wheel's reluctance to be moved as the vehicle rode over expansion joints, patches and potholes actually damped the impact harshness transmitted to the suspension, and forced the tires to absorb more of the jolt. However, when it came to steering feel and responsiveness, heavyweight wheels made the tires less communicative and responsive at highway speeds. On the track, this combination found no praise. It felt heavy and lethargic, and actually reduced the feedback the tires normally transmit to the driver, making the vehicle more difficult to drive at the limit.

There was also a 1.8% difference in efficiency with heavyweight vs. lightweight wheels. I'm not sure I trust those numbers as the difference is so small it could be error. It was a long range drive vs. a dyno or a mathematical model, which means the error could be significant. Let's just assume that lightweight is better, but the actual amount could be a little more or less.

Covering a total distance of just over 350 miles, the three vehicle's average speeds were virtually identical (all within 3/10 of 1 mph). During that time the BMW 3 Series equipped with its Original Equipment Grand Touring Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus low rolling resistance tires averaged 22.8 mpg. The vehicle equipped with the Plus Size Pirelli P Zero tires on lightweight wheels averaged 21.5 mpg, while the Plus Size Pirelli P Zero tires on heavyweight wheels dropped to a 21.1 mpg average.

• Informative

The Aero wheels weigh 21.6 pounds without the covers, and 23 pounds with the covers. That's why I ordered the 18" turbines. Because I get a much nicer looking wheel (subjective) and actually gain a little on the weight spec.

The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

• Informative
I have the 18" T Sportline wheels in space grey. Got them to mount original tires on and use my Aero wheels for winter tires. They are about the same weight as the Aero Wheels (based on the T-Sportline Wheel Guide for Model 3 in their website), but look much better.

As far as Wh/mi difference, it seems to be a little bit higher than the Aeros with no covers. However, can't directly compare even though I tracked consumption before and after because speed limits around here increased 5 MPH right at the time I got the T Sportlines.

Only negative I can say about the wheels is that the hollow where the center caps sit recessed in the wheel seem to have been machined a little smaller than spec. I tried 12 original Tesla center caps and none fit flush. The included T-Sportline center cap fit fine, but I prefer the Tesla caps. I fixed this issue by modifying the Tesla center caps to fit and you can't tell that they have been tampered with.
IMG_20181011_102152.jpg IMG_20180830_103543.jpg

Edit to add that I pre-ordered the wheels for Black Friday 2017 for $900 and free shipping. I finally received them August 30th, 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: RyanT and WallyP
I'd also like to note that I'm getting 220 Wh/mile on these tires since installing them over the last 100 miles. my mileage on the 20" wheels was 279 Wh/ mile (although when I very first got the car I was pretty heavy footed and was doing a lot of launches so its not the best comparison.)
Oh that's your video?! Thought you were just posting a video on an (general) install there!

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
I'd also like to note that I'm getting 220 Wh/mile on these tires since installing them over the last 100 miles. my mileage on the 20" wheels was 279 Wh/ mile (although when I very first got the car I was pretty heavy footed and was doing a lot of launches so its not the best comparison.)

That's actually amazing. My 20" conservative driving got as low at 270 at best. If this brings it down to 220 Wh/Mi, that's incredible. That's aero with cover level.