Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T Sportline 19s on a P3D+ rattling like crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the looks of it you probably will. if the center was bored out a little deeper and straight in instead of an angle...like the stock 20”s they would fit Without any additional hardware.

@P3_Denver what kind of adaptor are they sending you? Is it a spacer? Please post a pic when you get it. Still waiting to see the back of the stock 19’s....whether they would have the same issue as well.

I am not sure, this was the email they sent, I will post pics as soon as I get it!
——————
Matt,

They'll be fine. We installed wheels on the Performance+ car (Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade) this past week and had the same issue.

The wheels were a tad challenging to remove, but our adapter will do the trick and not affect ride in anyway. We will send you the proper adapter this coming week.

We would drive on your factory wheels in the meantime.

-T Sportline
————————

24C339EE-B045-49DF-989F-3E6F9A18AD03.jpeg
View attachment 326608 View attachment 326609 Here’s a picture of the back of my 20” Tsportline wheel, will I have the same problem on my P3D+? Or is it a feature of the Tsportline 19”?
I don’t think they’ll fit without a spacer or a little machining. Look at the lip on the factory wheels. Be careful...

Wow. This is upsetting that Tesla wouldn’t inform owners about this. It’s clearly unsafe and could have been dangerous to drive, yet there’s no indication in the manual or anywhere that aftermarket wheels are not suitable.

I’m locked in for the P3D+, but these stories and more are making me regret my decision to pony up for the performance upgrade.

The regret will melt away once you get your car.

I am not sure, this was the email they sent, I will post pics as soon as I get it!
——————
Matt,

They'll be fine. We installed wheels on the Performance+ car (Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade) this past week and had the same issue.

The wheels were a tad challenging to remove, but our adapter will do the trick and not affect ride in anyway. We will send you the proper adapter this coming week.

-T Sportline
————————

I hope this isn't long term solution for them, also with the 19" TST do you know how much clearance is on the rear caliper? Wondering if their 18" would fit granted it would have the same problem as your 19".

Wow. This is upsetting that Tesla wouldn’t inform owners about this. It’s clearly unsafe and could have been dangerous to drive, yet there’s no indication in the manual or anywhere that aftermarket wheels are not suitable.

I’m locked in for the P3D+, but these stories and more are making me regret my decision to pony up for the performance upgrade.
You just need the right aftermarket wheel like any other car. Your can get any aftermarket wheel that fits the other Model 3s by adding a spacer which has the added benefit of putting them at the correct offset.
It is unfortunate that the change in center bore is subtle enough that the tire shop didn’t notice it.

• Informative
Reactions: ronin
——————
Matt,
They'll be fine. We installed wheels on the Performance+ car (Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade) this past week and had the same issue. The wheels were a tad challenging to remove, but our adapter will do the trick and not affect ride in anyway. We will send you the proper adapter this coming week.
-T Sportline
————————

Matt, I would not accept a spacer for an aftermarket wheel that was not properly designed for the OEM hub.
The correct lip should have been machined into the wheel and T Sportline should have done their homework.

The question remains will the Stock OEM Tesla 19” Sport Winter Tire Package even fit on the P3D+? Does it have the 3mm lip ‘bore out’ on the rim as does the Stock 20”?
Someone needs to tweet Elon and catch his ear on this one.

Ski

Reactions: ronin
Matt, I would not accept a spacer for an aftermarket wheel that was not properly designed for the OEM hub.
The correct lip should have been machined into the wheel and T Sportline should have done their homework.

DITTO. There was no homework done by them.

probably not or they wouldn't be hubcentric

I would still classify it as hub-centric since it still sits on the hub.

Looks like the 3mm lip is found only on the Performance 20" wheels

View attachment 326813

Do you have evidence of this? That is a picture of the 20" wheel.

Well today was a scary day. I slowly drove the 0.2 miles over to my local tire shop (big national chain) to have them remove the T Sportline 19s and replace with my Tesla OEM Performance 20s. The lugs came off nice and clean, but then when he went to pull the wheel off no luck. They were all stuck and some VERY stuck to the center hub. It was scary to watch him use the weapons below, but after what seemed like hours (it was at least 30mins) he as able to free all 4 wheels. The pry tool scratched up the center hubs but he sanded it smooth and cleaned off the metal shavings on the centerbore. He's opinion is after only driving 15-20 miles things look good and with a spacer/adapater should be all good. I had to use spacers on my Infiniti years ago with a winter setup. I know T sportline dropped the ball, but I don't have much recourse at this point in time. Thank you all for your support, I will report back once I recieve the adapater from T sportline.
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg

I would not say “the company did not do their homework.” They made an assumption that the design would be identical on the model 3 with the performance upgrade optioned performance version. This is a reasonable assumption. Their response is very reasonable. I am impressed that they are working so well with you. Vehicle manufacturers do not share design changes with aftermarket suppliers. That means that the purchasers have to get information to the aftermarket supplier. Sometimes I have seen where a car manufacturer (non Tesla) change something mid model year and a bunch of people post issues on a forum followed by the aftermarket suppliers changing their parts. You will see something like “this part only works with vehicles manufactured after this date, for vehicles manufactured prior to this, see part number xxxxxxxxxx.”

I would not say “the company did not do their homework.” They made an assumption that the design would be identical on the model 3 with the performance upgrade optioned performance version. This is a reasonable assumption. Their response is very reasonable. I am impressed that they are working so well with you. Vehicle manufacturers do not share design changes with aftermarket suppliers. That means that the purchasers have to get information to the aftermarket supplier. Sometimes I have seen where a car manufacturer (non Tesla) change something mid model year and a bunch of people post issues on a forum followed by the aftermarket suppliers changing their parts. You will see something like “this part only works with vehicles manufactured after this date, for vehicles manufactured prior to this, see part number xxxxxxxxxx.”

You're too quick to forgive rushing to market. This is a case of releasing a product w/o adequate testing. And in a critical component of a vehicle, which could have caused serious damage, or worse. Not to mention, you're experimenting with an expensive machine. IMO the author is being incredibly understanding of the situation. I get early adopters are pioneers of sorts, and take some risks, but this was very avoidable.

Nonsense... the aftermarket company failed to test their wheels on the Performance Model 3.
T-Sportline is a Tesla only retailer and claims to be an expert in aftermarket wheels based on their published wheel guides...
The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide
The OP, P3D_Denver now has damaged hubs as a result of improper wheel fitment as shown in the photos above.
The incorrect wheel design had to be forcibly pried and hammered off the hub assembly and now will result in further wheel hub repairs by Tesla.
The 2-piece aluminum hub has been damaged and should be replaced... especially for a Performance model with intended track use.

Last edited:
Nonsense... the aftermarket company failed to test their wheels on the Performance Model 3.
T-Sportline is a Tesla only retailer and claims to be an expert in aftermarket wheels based on their published wheel guides... The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide
The OP, P3D_Denver now has damaged hubs as a result of improper wheel fitment as shown in the photos above.
The incorrect wheel design had to be forcibly pried and hammered off the hub assembly and now will result in further wheel hub repairs by Tesla.

^ This.
You should test the products that you claim will work on a specific car, or have a disclaimer that proper fitment lies with the purchaser. What if they didn't clear the calipers?

Reactions: pow216 and davidc18
^ This.
You should test the products that you claim will work on a specific car, or have a disclaimer that proper fitment lies with the purchaser. What if they didn't clear the calipers?

I specificallly asked them about the brake caliper clearence and they assured me no issues with 19s or 20s, but I didn't think to ask about center hub fitment...who would have thougth that Telsa would put a little lip on the centerbore? It would have been nice if Tesla notified its largest aftermarket resellers about the P3D center hub change.

I specificallly asked them about the brake caliper clearence and they assured me no issues with 19s or 20s, but I didn't think to ask about center hub fitment...who would have thougth that Telsa would put a little lip on the centerbore? It would have been nice if Tesla notified its largest aftermarket resellers about the P3D center hub change.

It would have been nice the aftermarket resellers had done their homework and tested the fitment before selling defective wheels :cool:
The burden of due diligence is not on Tesla.