Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T Sportline MSX Driver View Dash & LCD Display Cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ali ones do appear to LOOK the same as the T-Sportline but they are not the same as mentioned by T-Sportline. Yes, Ali has a wood variant and if you compare pictures side by side they likely are made on the same production line. T Sportline has their own software for the US market and from what I recall a different chipset. Not to mention any follow up service from Ali will be non-existent.

T sportline do not have their own software. this is a rumour t sportline keeps spreading. they use the same chinese products everyone else has.
if they were, theyd use immediately a more appropriate gui (as we see with some of the android softwares from the forum here. highly good looking useable softwares

Like with any computerized device the info on the screen has a different software version number. Also, the T Sportline one never had that glitch where hazard lights come on when you press the brake pedal. Rhetorical question: Would anyone go to the trouble of changing the version number of the software for resales of an identical product? Possibly but I think unlikely. If the software was identical I don't think the display would behave differently (flashing hazards upon brake press). I agree it is not different in GUI but it does at least have behavioral differences and therefore I believe it is customized but perhaps not to the level we all wish for. As they said, they customized it for the US meaning they likely took what was already there and just made changes better suited to the US but didn't touch the GUI.

In the end, even if it is the same (which I believe there are difference albeit subtle) I think it is better to buy from a reputable US company rather than from an Ali seller. With Ali you can bank on the fact there will be zero support whereas with T Sportline they are accessible, speak the same language, in the same (or at least overlapping) time zone.

I guess for those that want to save a bit of money buying from Ali is an option if you are fine with foregoing all the benefits of buying from an American company.

True. Not one solution out there that is perfect by any means. 2 things stand out for me with T Sportline being that it is a US company so easier to deal with for after-sales support and the physical design is very integrated looking. My hope is that future upgrades to the firmware address some of the other points or even better add more functionality. The amazon link to the Verkokappa device looks like it has some great functionality but I'd be nervous about after-sales support but who knows, maybe the Hunan Jiachuang Kexun International Trade Co., Ltd. (manufacturer of the Amazon display) in Hunan China has great customer service.
Yes please, add CarPlay & android auto. I have the 9” linux display sold on Amazon but it is branded as hansshow, a well known Tesla accessory vendor. It is the same hardware and software as verkokappa. There are always fears about Chinese, American, European small shops not offering support but hansshow seems good & I suspect the others which have been around for a while are good too. I just got done getting a new version of firmware from hanshhow. Only odd part is they do not offer the updates publicly . You need to ask them and then they give you the link to latest version or others if you ask.

Like with any computerized device the info on the screen has a different software version number. Also, the T Sportline one never had that glitch where hazard lights come on when you press the brake pedal. Rhetorical question: Would anyone go to the trouble of changing the version number of the software for resales of an identical product? Possibly but I think unlikely. If the software was identical I don't think the display would behave differently (flashing hazards upon brake press). I agree it is not different in GUI but it does at least have behavioral differences and therefore I believe it is customized but perhaps not to the level we all wish for. As they said, they customized it for the US meaning they likely took what was already there and just made changes better suited to the US but didn't touch the GUI.

In the end, even if it is the same (which I believe there are difference albeit subtle) I think it is better to buy from a reputable US company rather than from an Ali seller. With Ali you can bank on the fact there will be zero support whereas with T Sportline they are accessible, speak the same language, in the same (or at least overlapping) time zone.

I guess for those that want to save a bit of money buying from Ali is an option if you are fine with foregoing all the benefits of buying from an American company.
that is not a glitch, that is the dash set to EU mode when you have an american car where the brake lights are set to illuminate together with the blinkers (in europe our turning signals are only on the edge of rear light as they are seperate from the brake light. In USA brake light and turn signal are the same and considerably larger.

T sportline are just reselling aliexpresses product at a premium. The only difference is that the returnpolicy is friendlier but aliexpress tends to be incredibly friendly to their customers too if they recieve broken products.

that is not a glitch, that is the dash set to EU mode when you have an american car where the brake lights are set to illuminate together with the blinkers (in europe our turning signals are only on the edge of rear light as they are seperate from the brake light. In USA brake light and turn signal are the same and considerably larger.

T sportline are just reselling aliexpresses product at a premium. The only difference is that the returnpolicy is friendlier but aliexpress tends to be incredibly friendly to their customers too if they recieve broken products.
There is no setting in the UI to switch between EU and North American mode that I have seen - have you seen the switch for the setting before? Also, the max speed limit on the Ali units is incorrect whereas the T Sportline one is accurate. I can't see Ali and T Sportline having the identical software unless these are user selectable settings which I do not believe they are as I have gone through the menu settings thoroughly. If your experience has lead you to different ways of toggling between EU and NA settings for the brake light behavior, please share.

I'm glad you have been lucky to receive great service from Ali vendors. For me it's hit and miss and I've been ghosted several times before and it's then been a pain in the neck. My last couple of times with brokne Ali parts I receive an affer for a small portion of my money back and then it goes back and forth and finally I file a dispute with Ali. After a long painful process I get my money back and certainly with the vendors I've dealt with even if I received a workig unit I doubt post-sales questions would be responsive. My rule of thumb is not to buy anything from Ali that has a high chance for me needing to ask post sales questions. At least for this T Sportline unit, I have been able to reach Sportline with questions on multiple occasions and received clear articulate answers in the same day or worst case the following day. I am doubtful similar service levels exists from Ali but perhaps I just never had the fortunate experience you may have had.

There is no setting in the UI to switch between EU and North American mode that I have seen - have you seen the switch for the setting before? Also, the max speed limit on the Ali units is incorrect whereas the T Sportline one is accurate. I can't see Ali and T Sportline having the identical software unless these are user selectable settings which I do not believe they are as I have gone through the menu settings thoroughly. If your experience has lead you to different ways of toggling between EU and NA settings for the brake light behavior, please share.

I'm glad you have been lucky to receive great service from Ali vendors. For me it's hit and miss and I've been ghosted several times before and it's then been a pain in the neck. My last couple of times with brokne Ali parts I receive an affer for a small portion of my money back and then it goes back and forth and finally I file a dispute with Ali. After a long painful process I get my money back and certainly with the vendors I've dealt with even if I received a workig unit I doubt post-sales questions would be responsive. My rule of thumb is not to buy anything from Ali that has a high chance for me needing to ask post sales questions. At least for this T Sportline unit, I have been able to reach Sportline with questions on multiple occasions and received clear articulate answers in the same day or worst case the following day. I am doubtful similar service levels exists from Ali but perhaps I just never had the fortunate experience you may have had.

aliexpress is known for almost always siding with the buyer even if they are not truly in a right - they want people coming back. amazon used to have a similar policy. It is possible that the aliexpress one you bought has been faulty.

Hansshow has really been releasing very interesting dash displays in the last 2 months. Not the MSX style we’re hoping for with CarPlay but maybe they’re listening to different ideas and making new products. They came out with the switchback, then a few weeks ago the micro display that sits in the vent gap and now this one just appeared a few days ago, it’s a mini display that sits on top of the steering wheel, in the same fashion as the switch back model.

The UI looks very similar to the UI on the MSX display in this thread which is an automatic no go for me, but this does address the airflow issue many of these displays cause, beautifully.

Reactions: tlr1000
aliexpress is known for almost always siding with the buyer even if they are not truly in a right - they want people coming back. amazon used to have a similar policy. It is possible that the aliexpress one you bought has been faulty.
Agree, in the end, AliExpress almost always sided with me for damaged or undelivered items but I really did not enjoy having to argue with the vendors who often propose partial refunds let alone the lack of post-sales service for questions. Recently I purchased an led light strip for my frunk and it had a loose connection so it kept blinking. It went back and forth with trying to send evidence and when I did, the Ali vendor felt that since it worked some times, I should pay for a part of the item. They refused a full refund citing they will lose money. Filing an Ali dispute also takes time. I did get a refund but it was far from pleasant and its not time I wanted to waste. I keep Ali purchases to things like screen protectors where risk is low and support not likely needed. Personally an "almost always" scenario is not for me on this kind of item but might be okay for some peoples' tolerance and risk levels.

For those that don't like this display it's simple - don't buy it. If however you do want to buy the display, I would urge you to buy from a local seller and not Ali. In particular T Sportline who shipped promptly, answered my questions quickly, and appears to be a successful enough business to be around for the foreseeable future.

tir1000,
Thank you this excellent review of the T Sportline MSX dash for 3/Y models. Been looking at the different units and was thinking about the Hansshow, but the echo while on the phone would be a huge distraction. Watched the videos on the T Sportline's website about installation of this product. The third video shows the installation of the 12v power adapter. The third video confused me because it discussed the adapter whereas the Kim Java video did. Found another video showing installation of this product on You Tube by i1 Tesla. He did not mentioned the 12v power adapter during installation.

tir1000,
Thank you this excellent review of the T Sportline MSX dash for 3/Y models. Been looking at the different units and was thinking about the Hansshow, but the echo while on the phone would be a huge distraction. Watched the videos on the T Sportline's website about installation of this product. The third video shows the installation of the 12v power adapter. The third video confused me because it discussed the adapter whereas the Kim Java video did. Found another video showing installation of this product on You Tube by i1 Tesla. He did not mentioned the 12v power adapter during installation.
The i1Tesla dash looks identical but is from a different supplier. TSportline has software made specifically for the US market and the other ones are trying to cater to a global audience.

All of the TSportline clusters now pull power from the cigarette lighter 12v. The Kim Java video shows the kit before this update to the power connection. Although pulling power from the cigarette plug does involve a bit of additional work, it is in my opinion a better and more stable place to tap power. The power tap is also one of those plug and play bypass cables so no cutting or splicing is required and completely reversible.

Reactions: Pacernow
tir1000,
Thank you for your response. Does the battery % comparable to the mileage reading on the T Sportline dash cluster? Does the battery% correlate with the remaining mileage? How accurate is this reading? On my 21 MYLR I predominately use the batter.
Is the seam between the two pieces noticeable? From the video the seam appeared to be behind the infotainment monitor. Thank you again for your input.

tlr1000,
Considering buying this MSX Dash for a 21 MYLR before end of the year to take advantage of the sale. Can you provide a new update on your experience with the T Sportline MSX Dash? Thank you.
Not much has changed. I still really like the hardware style but the glitches I mentioned remain from day 1 since they have released this cluster there hasn't been any firmware update I am aware of to address the glitches. The tire pressure always reads somewhere between 0 to 2 psi lower and this varies from tire to tire on the car. I was told this was a rounding issue but since each tore doesn't round consistently it seems odd. In other words 1 tire could be exact and another up to 2 psi lower. Currently metallic silver car shows up blue on this cluster and it's mismatched which would be much better if it matched either automatically or even manually through menu selection of color. T-Sportline mentioned when I bought this 4+ months ago they might be working on a firmware update so that there is a menu for car color....still nothing yet. Another issue is the cluster doesn't match the main screen to indicate headlights/highbeams/foglights. Lastly, sometimes my odometer and tripmeter reads a really high random number but then corrects itself. I've contacted T-Sportline about this, followed up a 2nd time (October), and they said they would look into it right away but have not heard back.

I do believe this cluster has the potential and the things that are issues can be resolved via firmware but there is no way to know if any resources will be invested into making this cluster all it can be. In my limited dealings with T-Sportline I am left with the impression they are a stand-up company and want to do their best to provide great customer service so I hope they will invest the resources to fix these issues. If these issues were fixed, this would be a great accessory.

My advice @Pacernow is that if you want to take advantage of the sale, contact T-Sportline and ask them if they have a timeline to address some of these glitches. They are quite responsive in answering emails and although I've never called them by phone I guess it would be easy to get in touch with them.

Old thread, but Inwas wondering if anyone had any updates on the Tsportline display. Has the firmware been updated as mentioned earlier in the thread?
I contacted TSportline back last October and just sent a follow up email. Will let you what they say. They did tell me when I bought it that they were working on various updates such as "We are working on coding for the car vehicle color changing. Possibly a manual adjustment." but that was in Aug 2022 and nothing yet. To this day the indicators for the lights (high beam, fogs, regular headlights) aren't synced at all, PSI readings are off but they advise that's normal, max speed limit indicator sometimes reads some extremely high speed. Hopefully, my follow up is answered.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc