Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T Sportline MSX Driver View Dash & LCD Display Cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
Just wanted to share my experience with this add-on display in terms of build quality, functionality, ease-of-install, and value.

As most of you know, one of the advantages of owning a 3 is the exceptional volume of aftermarket goodies that are available. Just in the category of after-market auxiliary displays alone, there are many choices ranging from size, cost, function, etc. Before you continue reading, I know there are some folks out there that don’t like the idea of an auxiliary display and I respect that. For those of you in that camp, you may want to stop reading and go on to reading about things that matter for you.

Back on topic. There are so many options in this space including very small tuck-inside air vent displays, units that project onto a reflective panel (aka HUDs), rectangular screens, etc, etc. I looked at all of these and decided to go with the T Sportline unit since in my opinion looks like the most integrated styled option. It is very obvious that the physical design is copying the displays that come as part of the S and X.

My research lead me to a few identical looking displays besides the T Sportline version it appears The EV Shop also sells the identical display however their retail price is $1000 vs T Sportline’s $800. The EV Shop has many 10% discount codes online but even after that, they are $100 more so it was a no-brainer to go with T Sportline. I should also note that there are similar (likely identical) units on AliExpress as well but they are barely less expensive and the small extra amount to have the backing of a US based company is worth it, especially on something like this. In fact I quote T Sportline’s YouTube channel where they said, “We are committed to offering updates to ensure our cluster display is always fully functional regardless of Tesla updates”. That reassurance by a well-known local company inspires confidence.

After ordering, shipping was fast via two day Fedex from California to Canada. Impressive turn-around. There is no additional blank box to hide the item so may not be porch-pirate friendly nor good for hiding from spouses what you just blew the budget on. That being said, the package arrived unscathed and everything was well packed. Although I have a lot of mods on my car this is the first time I ordered from T Sportline and am impressed with their service. Why didn’t I buy stuff from them before? lol

When you see the videos online several supplier’s appear to have identical units. However, even though they may physically look identical, the T Sportline kit has their branding on the packaging as well as some of the actual kit parts such as the small control box. This would indicate they have these units are made specifically for them and to me this is another level of confidence for buying their kit vs say from AliExpress or lesser known domestic suppliers.

I had watched a couple of install videos and knew what to expect. Based on my 2018 I followed the YT video where KimJava (who also has a 2018) and the CEO of T Sportline installed it in her car. Not going to bore you with install details as the videos online have pretty good instruction except for two things:

• The video shows installation of the main wiring harness where you unplug a connector from the car and add an inline connector that taps the signal for the display. There was no other connection needed or so it appeared. When I opened my package up, my harness also had extra cabling that I did not see in the video which was a power tapping cable drawing power from the CLA 12v in the console. After wiring exactly as the video, the display did not power up and I scratched my head for a bit and then proceeded to dismantle the center console to install the 12v bypass adapter and voila, the screen turned on. Seems the kit for KimJava’s car may have not required the extra cable.
  • The replacement dash panel for my car required removal of the Velcro connectors and installation of included tab connectors. Make sure you install these tab connectors in the proper orientation by following the orientation of the original unit (see pic below). Left side and right side have opposite orientation.
In order for T Sportline to achieve the style they wanted for this display it necessitated replacement of the OEM dash cap. Due to the OEM dash being very long, they decided to manufacture the kit in two pieces to likely save on shipping. For me, this is a bit of a detraction and I really wish it was a single piece but I also understand the logistic challenges and likely higher cost of a one-piece design. At least for a two-piece set-up, they made it look as good as it possible can under that constraint. I went with the black color option but there is also white and carbon fauxber. Please don’t order the fake CF unless your car already has lots of it to match 😊.

What I really like about this display is the integrated factory looking styling. I also like having some key information directly in front of you without twisting my head or flipping through screens such as persistent tire pressure and simultaneous SOC% and range. I also like having the odometer constantly displayed like most cars do.

Nothing is perfect so here is my list of cons. The screen temperature is significantly cooler looking than the OEM screen. They need to adjust the temperature to have a better match with the OEM screen. The fonts should be adjusted to use the identical font of the car itself. This would also help with a more integrated look. If you own a light metallic silver car (guessing because it’s a discontinued color) the programmers of the software never considered this so the car on the display shows blue. I believe the proper color shows up if you have any other color. Ideally, the screen should read whatever custom color you choose through the Tesla interface and simply match that.

In the end, this is a significant amount of money to spend and not worth it for some but other’s may appreciate the seamless integrated styling along with the ergonomics of having some key information directly in front of you. Whether this is worth your hard-earned money is up to you and I guarantee, like anything else, there will be different opinions on this and my view is there is no right or wrong here – stick to what makes you happy. I really like this display and have no regrets buying it. I hope T Sportline looks at updating some of these items to improve seamlessness – it’s reassuring that there is a USB plug that makes updates possible and also reassuring that T Sportline is a well-known domestic company.

Attachments

• Cluster1.jpg
    Cluster1.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • cluster clips.jpg
    cluster clips.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 741
Nice write up! I went with the hansshow Linux over this one because of so many reported bugs and issues with the software of this display. I like that TSL has procured their own software - but it does look based off the “others” from overseas.

I truly wish these manufacturers would utilize this display housing l, which, IMO is as close to OEM as it gets (others may differ w me on that) but incorporate a CarPlay enabled display. I’m not a manufacturer by any means, but even if they got the cluster display that’s on the hansshow instead of this UI, they’d have a best seller.

Please post updates if you can on how it holds up, software updates, etc. I’m truly curious to see how this progresses long term if they can get there with software.

Thanks!!! Enjoy the new display!!! It looks great!

Reactions: Emajy
Hi all, just wanted to add a note of clarification. The pic below is the outside of the box my cluster came in and as you can see it is a T Sportline exclusive item. As far as I know, the other vendors I mentioned are selling versions meant for the Chinese market whereas the T Sportline unit is produced exclusively as a USA-spec item. I did see some reviews mentioning glitches of the visually similar units but going back to these videos shows the units are from these other sellers.

The only "issue" I noted about the T Sportline kit is that it comes with the blue car visualization for my silver car and in subsequent checking with T Sportline they said with the older cars, they use a different address string and the color was not reported and therefore the color can't be read. So my mistake in assuming the programmers of the software never considered the older color -they did.

Lastly, they confirmed that the wiring harness was updated after the KimJava video and therefore mine is different requiring the center console 12v power tap. This was actually easy to do despite being an extra step and really my own fault for relying on the YT video rather than looking at their product page for the most recent instructions.

@PauliePucks, I do like some of the functionality of the Hansshow unit but some of the complaints about them as a company had me concerned and reluctant to buy from them.

Attachments

• clusterbox.jpg
    clusterbox.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 706
Hi all, just wanted to add a note of clarification. The pic below is the outside of the box my cluster came in and as you can see it is a T Sportline exclusive item. As far as I know, the other vendors I mentioned are selling versions meant for the Chinese market whereas the T Sportline unit is produced exclusively as a USA-spec item. I did see some reviews mentioning glitches of the visually similar units but going back to these videos shows the units are from these other sellers.

The only "issue" I noted about the T Sportline kit is that it comes with the blue car visualization for my silver car and in subsequent checking with T Sportline they said with the older cars, they use a different address string and the color was not reported and therefore the color can't be read. So my mistake in assuming the programmers of the software never considered the older color -they did.

Lastly, they confirmed that the wiring harness was updated after the KimJava video and therefore mine is different requiring the center console 12v power tap. This was actually easy to do despite being an extra step and really my own fault for relying on the YT video rather than looking at their product page for the most recent instructions.

@PauliePucks, I do like some of the functionality of the Hansshow unit but some of the complaints about them as a company had me concerned and reluctant to buy from them.
Yeah customer service wise, they’re pretty terrible post-sale, 100% agree. Interesting on the power tapping, do you have an AMD or Intel?
Glad to hear the common bugs (flashing hazards on display when braking, stuck in Km/h, car type not selectable, misplaced text & mixed fonts) are ironed out with the TSLine version!

I have Intel - it's an ancient 2018 car:). As mentioned they updated the harness so all kits now require power sourced from the 12v socket. Because I've taken the center console apart before and I was familiar with it, it was literally about 10 minutes to do this. No flashing hazards when applying brakes, imperial vs metric are selectable (tire pressure, speed, etc).

Reactions: PauliePucks
Yeah customer service wise, they’re pretty terrible post-sale, 100% agree. Interesting on the power tapping, do you have an AMD or Intel?
Glad to hear the common bugs (flashing hazards on display when braking, stuck in Km/h, car type not selectable, misplaced text & mixed fonts) are ironed out with the TSLine version!
We added the 12v power tap to ALL versions, both AMD and Intel. This creates a super stable power feed for our dash, redundant to the infotainment power tap - so it's a nice upgrade.

The 'bugs' you mention are the 'Chinese market' dash....those issues don't exist on the T Sportline USA dash :)

Reactions: PauliePucks

Nice write up! We appreciate you sharing :)

Reactions: tlr1000
Thanks for chiming in @TSportline and thanks for making a good product. Seems most people, myself included, were not aware that the other kits are not the same. For your consideration if you happen to be doing a future update to the cluster please see if it's possible to adjust color balance of the screen to warm it up a bit and the other thing I'd really like to see (which Tesla buried) is front and center display of the wh/mile.

On a side note, the plug and play power tap for the 12v socket is brilliant. Have you considered selling this as a stand-alone part for those who want to easily access power for an accessory? This would also be great as it would be fully reversible without a trace.

We added the 12v power tap to ALL versions, both AMD and Intel. This creates a super stable power feed for our dash, redundant to the infotainment power tap - so it's a nice upgrade.

The 'bugs' you mention are the 'Chinese market' dash....those issues don't exist on the T Sportline USA dash :)
@TSportline Awesome - if you guys wanna send me a “switch me out of my hansshow display” demo, I’ll happily do a comparison video!!! 😜

Do you have any plans, or should I say, would it be possible, to have this display CarPlay enabled? I would be all over it!!!

Quick updates:

AIRFLOW: Went for a drive today and it was pretty warm out so I turned up the AC fan speed to 5 and played with the flow directional controls. I can set it so that I do actually feel air blowing at my face. My guess is that the air flow directly to the face is reduced by 1/3 but it is still there at least for how my seat and steering wheel is adjusted so your mileage may vary. Obviously, the cluster does not impact the volume of air from the vent but does redirect it slightly up but still will hit your face if that's what's important for you. At least for me the slight redirection in airflow is NOT a deal breaker.

VISIBILITY: Another thing I tested today is visibility of the screen through the steering wheel. I purposely moved my head up and down a couple of inches from my natural sitting position height and in both situations I could see the dash cluster clearly. Again, your mileage may vary here depending on how you like to sit and where you have the steering wheel adjusted but from my quick test, it seems it will accommodate most situations to have a clear view.

Reactions: Pacernow
not bad but there are other options that are much cheaper and have android auto or carplay https://a.co/d/awYLk6L
True. Not one solution out there that is perfect by any means. 2 things stand out for me with T Sportline being that it is a US company so easier to deal with for after-sales support and the physical design is very integrated looking. My hope is that future upgrades to the firmware address some of the other points or even better add more functionality. The amazon link to the Verkokappa device looks like it has some great functionality but I'd be nervous about after-sales support but who knows, maybe the Hunan Jiachuang Kexun International Trade Co., Ltd. (manufacturer of the Amazon display) in Hunan China has great customer service.

at the end of the day t sportline are just still reselling chinese units. if theyd truly have their own software they could just make it look less crap. and while at it add android auto to it.
I would be very surprised if there was such thing as any auxiliary display that wasn't made in China. The unit does have a USB port so technically they could update it - I'll cross my fingers that there will be a future update to make it look and function better. Yes Android Auto would be awesome...who cares about AirPlay, lol.

The Ali ones do appear to LOOK the same as the T-Sportline but they are not the same as mentioned by T-Sportline. Yes, Ali has a wood variant and if you compare pictures side by side they likely are made on the same production line. T Sportline has their own software for the US market and from what I recall a different chipset. Not to mention any follow up service from Ali will be non-existent.

Update

After about 3 weeks of using this cluster I have some things I really like which I mostly mentioned previously like physical design, having some key info without turning my head, North American specific firmware, USB port for future upgradeability (if those come), etc. As expected, there are many information items on the cluster that behave exactly how I hoped including perfect synchronization of speed, odometer, trip meter, speed limit (mostly – see below), clock, external temperature, signal and hazard indicator, battery percentage, etc.

I have also experienced some things that were unexpected and the one that stands out the most is tire pressure. The cluster usually reads 1 psi less than the car’s screen but is inconsistent at each tire where often I would have 1 tire read exactly the same as the car while the remaining 3 tires be 1 to 3 psi lower on the cluster compared to the car’s screen. My understanding is that the car’s screen does not update psi instantaneously whereas T Sportline said their cluster updates more frequently. This has me confused as the cluster consistently reads between 0 to 3 psi less – the cluster never reads higher than the car. As I start a drive and the tires warm up, and therefore increase to psi, the cluster never reads higher than the oem screen. Is it possible the readings on the cluster are more accurate? I can’t say with certainty but it is a possibility if it is reading more frequently but that doesn’t seem to be consistent with the fact the car’s screen is generally having higher readings.

Another glitch I’ve experienced is inconsistent light status notification. The indicator on the cluster often shows my fog light is on even when it’s not. It’s not a deal breaking problem but nonetheless could use improvement. The indicator for regular headlight works perfectly.

The cluster also has a mode that is supposed to automatically be able to go between night and day mode. It does work however; the transition does not line up with the car’s screen. My cluster changes into night mode a couple hours before the car’s screen goes to night mode. I live in the Pacific Daylight Time zone and have the screen set at GMT -7 which does match up the clocks perfectly on the cluster and the car. Currently dusk is around 8:00 PM local time and my cluster goes to night mode around 6:00 PM. I was hoping the day/night switching on the cluster was identical to the car’s screen so it always matches up.

The last super-minor glitch that occurred is when I was on a road (30 mph limit) where the car itself did not pick up the speed limit. In this case, the cluster showed 100 mph as the limit but as soon as the car detected the limit, the cluster corrected immediately.

Here's a summary of items that I would like to see:

Corrections:

• Better synchronization of fog light status and psi
  • Additional color selection to include the ‘unicorn’ metallic silver or better yet custom color selection
  • Day/night mode synchronization
  • Better color temp matching to car’s screen (cluster needs to be warmer)
Wishlist:

• Android Auto/Apple CarPlay
  • Display blindspot camera when signal is activated (be nice to see this directly in front rather than having to look at car’s screen)
  • Display wh/mile
  • Display upcoming navigation instructions
  • Better matching font to the car’s screen
I hope all these things can be addressed through firmware updates and as well the firmware is hosted somewhere (like a github page) easy to access. It's not clear to me how future updates will be disseminated to customers.