TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tablet Install

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by AdamHLG, Oct 4, 2017.

1. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Has anyone thought of installing a Tablet in their MX? I am contemplating the idea of a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 on Verizon 4G LTE. I would use this mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BAQKROW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This visually appealing mount would be placed on the black cover in front of the center arm rest (the cover that hides the USB ports) via double-stick tape (the metal 'stalk' easily unscrews from the black circular base when the black cover needs to be opened). The small circular magnet would attach to the back of the tablet and can be detached via magnet from the stalk. Power is right underneath the black cover at the USB port. While this is a 'switched' power source, I'll go out on a limb that the tablet battery will be sufficient in between charges (or I can always run an always on cable from the ODBII area).

Why this instead of simply using my phone you ask? Well, in theory at least,this would overcome a few shortcomings and add some great features. First, it has a built-in mobile hot spot for, say, a dash-cam to stream to the cloud. It would have Spotify to connect via Bluetooth. It would have a fast fully capable browser. It would have video. It can run apps. And it would be in a pretty ideal location in relation to the arm rest to allow me to rest my arm and use my right hand to touch the screen. The idea would be to dedicate the tablet for the Tesla and this is a great sized and capable tablet.

Some drawbacks potentially include that I likely could not connect to Bluetooth simultaneously with my phone. This would in theory cut off seamless phone integration.

Just a thought. I do intend to get a dash-cam so maybe a traditional hot spot is better.

2. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

I was thinking that you wanted the tablet to be used by your passengers, not for yourself, so:

- You will have to constantly put it and remove it every time you plan to park your car otherwise it might be stolen.

- Not really in your line of sight if you put it on your arm set.

- Do you plan to keep it always on, otherwise you will need to re-sync or reconnect manually your dash cam every time you turn it on.
    (I don't know about the bluetooth dash cam, I have a Blackvue and use Wifi to connect with my tablet)

- IMO, having a tablet in a car is mostly for navigation, but you have already a 17" screen ?

- If it's to take notes with a Pen, I'd rather get a 2-in-1 laptop than a tablet,
    because to use the Pen you need to sit in front of a table, or put the tablet on your laps,
    so basically you are doing the same as if you were using a laptop.

- May be using voice activated features, this tablet could provide additional functionalist
    no found using solely the Tesla display and your Phone?

3. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Actually, the project would be a dedicated tablet for the car. I suppose it would be mostly for myself. The location I had in mind would be a 'natural' ergonomic fit, i.e., to have arm on armrest, still retain cup-holder functionality, and what would appear to be an easy way to interface with the device. The idea behind it would be to 'complete' the functionality of the main vehicle touchscreen (sorry I know there is a proper acronym but I am new here). My thoughts, for me at least, would be Spotify, RadarScope (best radar app there is for weather geeks), incoming text messages (Verizon Message+ allows for multiple devices to sync SMS and MMS messages), full and fast browser functionality, other apps such as PlugShare, whatever. I also have an ODBII bluetooth gadget that connects to an app to provide real time vehicle diagnostics. I don't know if it works with a Tesla however (or what data it would provide if it did).

I should mention that any project like this would need to incorporate the various technologies to allow voice interaction, text to voice, hands free / car mode, etc. It would need to complement the Tesla environment and feel like a natural fit, both aesthetically and functionally and safely wise. But I don't want this to devolve into a distracted driving discussion. Per below, it likely will not proceed anyway.

This project may hit a hard stop. I will not give up Bluetooth connectivity to my phone inasmuch as hands-free operation of my phone is not negotiable. Further research is indicating we cannot have two separate yet simultaneous media and headset Bluetooth connections. This means no music streaming and hands-free phone operations at the same time. That's a big setback for me. And we can't stream over the USB connection - checked that too.

The project is also making an assumption that the hot spot within the tablet could be enabled permanently (I have unlimited hot-spot data), and that streaming from a dash cam to my phone would actually work well enough to make it worth it. That is separate research I need to look into. The idea of looking out the windows of my parked Tesla via dash cam video to my phone when I am sitting at my desk in real time sounds great in theory, but is that even possible at the level I envision it my mind, i.e., HD quality, no jerky video, etc.

So that's where I am as I think about this while my car is being built. A final thought here is that theft would not be an issue - that magnet mount allows for easy removal when parked (but does now make me curious as to how long a fully charged tablet would drain battery to stream a dash-cam over the hot-spot when the tablet is in the glove box before it needs to be recharged, etc. So this is another thing to consider, i.e., whether a dedicated wired hot-spot is better, in which case the tablet would not need to include the 4G LTE and would instead connect by wifi to the hotspot).

4. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Installing a dedicated tablet in a car to provide a multi purpose platform in an interesting concept.
    I noticed Bjørn Nyland on YouTube having a Live Streaming Road Trip channel.
    My dash cam provide such capability, and this is something which could be exploited further
    and in a more flexible way by using a tablet interface.

5. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Quick update. This project will be proceeding forward! It turns out the Verizon messaging app not only allows simultaneous text messaging with my mobile phone it also allows simultaneous placing and receiving calls from the tablet using my primary phone number. This solves the Bluetooth connection issue because the tablet will establish the primary Bluetooth connection for both audio and hands-free calling.

I ordered the Galaxy Tab S3 today as well as the aforementioned mounting solution products.

6. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Well, it's me. I am back! I told you I would be installing a tablet when I received this beautiful car. Here is my tablet - Galaxy Tab S 3 with 4G LTE - utilizing Steelie magnetic mounting system parts. The tablet mounts to the steel ball with a magnet attached to back of the tablet and it is super sturdy. When parked away from home, I dismount the tablet, plug it in to charge, and install it in the space in the picture, where is receives (or soon will receive) 12 V constant power to recharge when car is parked (same spot the Blackvue will pull constant power). This will allow for wire free mounting during driving because I am OCD for the cable), and then plug to charge when stowed, and the tablet will also act as my WiFi hotspot for the dash cam.

I got a bit lucky. I was able to unscrew the steel mount from its black circular base that it comes with and use the super strong double side adhesive that comes with the mounting system to mount that steel base to the storage cover directly - yet - there is JUST enough room that I can open the storage cover all the way so it locks open without the steel base hitting anything.

Makes for a nice stealth look with tablet invisible when stowed. Also in the pic is my Galaxy Note 8 sitting on Samsung's wireless charging pad. I use the Samsung Alcantera slim fit case on my phone that is very comfortable to hold and supports wireless charging - and there is considerable friction between the case and the charger base that the phone just sits there while driving and charges with no slip whatsoever. All phone controls are via the car via blue-tooth. As is Spotify streaming.

As for the tablet, I can check mail, have a full browser experience, full app experience, and 4G hotspot.

This remains a work in progress but I am loving it so far. Thought you guys might enjoy it. The picks do not do it justice because at night with my black interior my car looks like an aircraft!

Attached Files:

7. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Really outstanding!!!

As a new project, why not adding a Navdy HUD (heads-up display) system?

A Dashboard Gadget That Will Totally Change How You Drive

[​IMG]

8. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Eh... I dunno. Feel like I have maps covered. It's a cool gadget however. I'm now trialing the use of
    OK Google on the tablet and bixby on the phone for a better voice control experience among the devices.

9. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Plus it has the added advantage that when parked (and tablet is charging) the Steelie Mount makes it look like you're driving a Stick-Shift!

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am researching how to mount an iPad Mini in my X to use a display for a rear view camera mounted on a camper trailer, so different from your objective. Though the mount you used could likely also be used for my purposes. I need the display more in my sight line, so possibly attached to the dash surface just below the left center vent. But even an iPad mini may be too large for that location, so I may end up using my iPhone X for a display.

My concern about your setup is that to use the iPad you really have to take your eyes off the road. That seems like a problem to me.

11. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Distracted driving is always a problem for everyone. Personally, I see no difference between my tablet and the huge display built into the Tesla, or a phone, or eating, or anything else that distracts. I do not use the tablet while actually driving. I don't even look at it to be candid. I have it set to dim to its dimmest setting after 30 seconds of non-use so its not even readable. For me, its a destination device to be used while parked. If you are using this for a camper cam while driving, I agree the spot where it is located is not the best location for you. I would need to think about how a different spot would ergonomically would work for you.