Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC +1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the left lane of a divided highway today. 55 mph zone; I was doing 60. The car in front of me suddenly swerves to avoid what turned out to be some cardboard boxes in the road. Before I realized what was happening TACC was slowing, presumably because of the boxes. I took over auto steer and swerved around the boxes as well.

Now, had I hit the boxes it wouldn't have been a big deal. But had this been some other kind of hazard it could have caused some serious damage. The slowing gave me the time to maneuver around the boxes without having to make any sudden movements. It definitely gave me more time than I would have had if I had to notice the obstacle myself.

This is the first time TACC slowed for me for a non-automotive obstacle. It could have been a false positive (mistook the boxes for the car I was behind) or it could have been by design. Has anyone experienced something similar?

I haven't seen this, but I'm very glad that TACC was able to help you out in this situation.

The only comment I would make is that TACC/FCW/AEB cannot be relied upon to do this. As I understand Tesla's systems, the camera would have to identify the object in the path (meaning that the object has to be large enough and with high enough contrast to be detected), and that also has to correlate with the radar signature for confirmation before FCW or AEB would be actuated. There are many objects that could be in the road that wouldn't meet this criteria, and therefore the system would not react as you saw.

I haven't seen this, but I'm very glad that TACC was able to help you out in this situation.

The only comment I would make is that TACC/FCW/AEB cannot be relied upon to do this. As I understand Tesla's systems, the camera would have to identify the object in the path (meaning that the object has to be large enough and with high enough contrast to be detected), and that also has to correlate with the radar signature for confirmation before FCW or AEB would be actuated. There are many objects that could be in the road that wouldn't meet this criteria, and therefore the system would not react as you saw.
Yes, of course it couldn't be relied upon to detect such obstacles. But the owners manual makes some references to AEB and animals/people. I certainly wouldn't want to test this capability, however.

Unless those cardboard boxes had something made of metal inside of them the radar beam would go right through them and there would not be any reflection.
But the camera is just as integral to TACC as is the radar.

Also, checked owners manual today. Both collision alert and AEB will trigger off of "vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians." No mention of these with regard to TACC but can assume if would react to the same stimuli.