Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC and AP on new roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 6 weeks ago a new bypass was opened up here and once the novelty of cruising over fields and rivers on the satellite view wore off I started wondering when the new layout would be "integrated" into the mapping system.

By now Google have added the road to their maps (but obviously not to the satellite images) so routing works and I can enable TACC once I've joined the new road but it's not picking up the speed limits at all (even though the display visualisation suggests it's sometimes "seen" the signs) so I have to travel far enough away from the junction for it to "give up" on thinking it's still in the 40mph area and then manually adjust the speed to 60mph. To be fair the road layout at one end does mean the national speed limit sign is quite high up and far to the side so might be hard to spot reliably. Trying to engage AP sort of works but it's limited to 45mph.

Has anyone else had any experience of using new roads and how long before the map and speed data is updated and AP can be used, I'd have thought that the updated Google maps would be the only thing required but it appears not.

A junction near me was changed from a roundabout to traffic lights in September, so 6 months ago. It's still a roundabout on the Tesla navigation, which is very annoying because I drive through there almost every time I go anywhere.

The navigation data version in my car is EU-2021.8-12875, which (according to a quick Google) was first seen around the beginning of May 2021. I must admit I was expecting the map data to be a bit more current in the Tesla, given how often they release other software updates.

Reactions: Cwmwd
About 6 weeks ago a new bypass was opened up here and once the novelty of cruising over fields and rivers on the satellite view wore off I started wondering when the new layout would be "integrated" into the mapping system.

By now Google have added the road to their maps (but obviously not to the satellite images) so routing works and I can enable TACC once I've joined the new road but it's not picking up the speed limits at all (even though the display visualisation suggests it's sometimes "seen" the signs) so I have to travel far enough away from the junction for it to "give up" on thinking it's still in the 40mph area and then manually adjust the speed to 60mph. To be fair the road layout at one end does mean the national speed limit sign is quite high up and far to the side so might be hard to spot reliably. Trying to engage AP sort of works but it's limited to 45mph.

Has anyone else had any experience of using new roads and how long before the map and speed data is updated and AP can be used, I'd have thought that the updated Google maps would be the only thing required but it appears not.
If this road is a dual carriageway then the TACC may not allow response to speed signs. For some reason this is how it works (or doesn't) on motorways and most motorway-style dual carriageways (there are exceptions). This is not to do with the road being new but is a quirk of how the car operates on current software. If you are talking about a single carriageway road then ignore me!

Yup, poor speed detection and outdated speed and lane database are characteristics of Tesla. VW recently announced swarm mode (powered by Mobileeye). Tesla should start using crowdsourced data to improve tacc and autopilot. I am sharing my data with them hoping one day they might find some use for that.

Reactions: kelvin 660
If this road is a dual carriageway then the TACC may not allow response to speed signs.
It's not a full dual-carriageway but does have alternating passing lanes.

I have TACC set to use use current speed when set and manually alter speed as needed via the scroll wheel
Yes, that's what I do except the car caps the manual adjustment at 40 for a while at the start of the new section as it thinks it's still in the previous speed zone. I wait for the "40" sign to vanish from the screen and then engage TACC and all's well.

The road speed data is so inaccurate, it has already cost me twice. For me always in London where the local authorities seem to compete to hide the required speed limit, sometime on signs which Tesla rarely sees and mainly on the road itself which of course Tesla never picks up.
It is amazing! Wayz of course always picks up local speed limits almost automatically. So I drive a £60k car with a useless nav system by watching Wayz on my phone! Musk really must adopt Carplay. The Tesla is a positive danger for no reason whatsoever but Tesla misplaced pride!

Reactions: CWT3LR
It's not a full dual-carriageway but does have alternating passing lanes.

Yes, that's what I do except the car caps the manual adjustment at 40 for a while at the start of the new section as it thinks it's still in the previous speed zone. I wait for the "40" sign to vanish from the screen and then engage TACC and all's well.
Wasn’t aware of that, thanks.