Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC and Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Y since last November and using TACC or Autopilot on a two lane highway has been an unpleasant experience. All the slow downs and false collision warnings when meeting large trucks really detracts from the technology and driving experience of an amazing vehicle. I’m not sure what the Tesla engineers have done to correct the problem but on my last 130 mile road-trip, yesterday, on a mostly two lane highway, I didn’t have a single instance of a slow down or false collision warning and TACC was engaged a majority of the time as well as Autopilot. I wonder if the reported DOT investigation into this problem prompted a fix?

I’ve had my Y since last November and using TACC or Autopilot on a two lane highway has been an unpleasant experience. All the slow downs and false collision warnings when meeting large trucks really detracts from the technology and driving experience of an amazing vehicle. I’m not sure what the Tesla engineers have done to correct the problem but on my last 130 mile road-trip, yesterday, on a mostly two lane highway, I didn’t have a single instance of a slow down or false collision warning and TACC was engaged a majority of the time as well as Autopilot. I wonder if the reported DOT investigation into this problem prompted a fix?

I think the fix is in adding LIDAR but Tesla is against it so the fix will not be prompt any time soon.

RADAR is not very precise in deciding which object to brake such as benign stationary trees on the side of the road or dangerous stationary parked first responders vehicles, so Tesla decide to discontinue Radar and bet Pure Vision.

The problem with Pure Vision is it is still in its infancy stage, good in theory but no one has proven that it's superhuman to avoid obstacles like San Jose green Bollards.

That's why we got false slowdowns with Pure Vision.

Thus, in the meantime, you might want to get a dashcam to document and send the link to NHTSA to pressure Tesla to fix the problem sooner rather than later.

• Disagree
Reactions: db93
If yesterday’s drive was an indication of how it works now, I’m happy with it. I’ve had two software updates over the past three weeks and nothing was noted regarding updating autopilot. But there is a definite change to how it drives when approaching large vehicles. I’ll be doing a return trip on Monday so I’ll see if is the same.

Thanks for the update. I have had similar experiences on roads which have been problematic in the past. I regularly drive a fairly curvy 2-lane limited access road (actually a National Park road …… the Natchez Trace Parkway) …. An hour or so each way for groceries (we live pretty rural). In the past, even just plain TACC would hallucinate regularly ….. to the point my wife banned its use on that road. I tried Autopilot once and it terrified us both. However, after what appeared to be improved results on other roads I negotiated permission to try TACC again and both of us were very pleased. Now, I have begun regularly engaging Autopilot for the run and it has been a delight. I no longer get the icy glance from my wife when she hears the double engagement chime, and it has converted an annoying drive to a very pleasant experience. Definite and dramatic improvement in performance over the past 6-months.

What version of software are people using? I've been continually disappointed in Tesla's TACC and AEB systems. In the 18 months I've had my MY they've consistently performed significantly worse than any other car I've driven so the reported improvement is encouraging.

I've driven cars that use both radar and optical systems so it's possible to design an effective system still either technology. We currently own a 2020 Subaru Forester with an optical system and in 10K miles of driving we haven't experienced a single false AEB event and the adaptive cruise has worked flawlessly. Several months ago my son and I went on a college visit, 600 miles of highway/interstate driving and the Subaru did not have a single false slowdown whereas my Tesla will slow down about every 15 minutes. (I'm on 2021.44.30.21)

Daytime use has improved by a vast amount. It had been slowly getting incrementally better. I don't think this was a "reduce the sensitivity to get them off our back" fix prompted by the DOT investigation though or night time use would have improved as well... I just think that they are slowly but surly figuring it out, with much of the gains done by the FSD beta test program. Now we just need a bunch of FSD Beta people to drive at night on rural highways :)

Keith

What version of software are people using? I've been continually disappointed in Tesla's TACC and AEB systems. In the 18 months I've had my MY they've consistently performed significantly worse than any other car I've driven so the reported improvement is encouraging.

I've driven cars that use both radar and optical systems so it's possible to design an effective system still either technology. We currently own a 2020 Subaru Forester with an optical system and in 10K miles of driving we haven't experienced a single false AEB event and the adaptive cruise has worked flawlessly. Several months ago my son and I went on a college visit, 600 miles of highway/interstate driving and the Subaru did not have a single false slowdown whereas my Tesla will slow down about every 15 minutes. (I'm on 2021.44.30.21)

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
I’ve owned my M3 now for about a week. I’ve used the autopilot on multiple occasions. Its done a fine job when on roads where opposite direction traffic was separated by a median…but on 2 lane roads with opposite direction traffic, it was downright dangerous and unusable. Today, I had it on and twice, it alerted and braked for oncoming traffic…one of them, a truck, caused the car to HAMMER on the brakes and squawk at me. Had there been someone behind me, there’s a high probability it would have led to an accident. It was really bad.

So, going forward, I will only use it on divided roads. Just my experience…🤷