Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC and Autosteer on 2 lane roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all:

I am in the middle of a long road trip (Boston to Lake Placid NY to Quebec City to Burlington VT to Westchester County NY for Xmas and then back to Boston). On divided highways TACC and Autosteer perform perfectly - very little phantom braking and the little that occurs is mild. Totally different story on two lane roads separated by double yellow lines (of which there are many in southern Quebec province and Vermont). In that case, whenever a truck approaches, the car freaks out and brakes hard - this happens with or without Autosteer enabled. It happens almost every time.

Any ideas about how to moderate this? For example, if I turn off or turn down the forward collision warning, might that help? Any other things you have tried successfully?

Thanks in advance.

Per the manual autosteer is explicitly intended for use on divided limited-access highways- so the fact it works well there, and less well elsewhere, is expected behavior.

It's not intended to be used with oncoming traffic.

FSDBeta is (for those who have it)- and while it does still do this a LITTLE it's vastly better than using regular AP on such roads (and getting better with each version).

That said- a while back someone experimented with setting emergency braking to a later setting and it did reduce phantom braking so if yours is set to early this might help you a bit for now.

Reactions: house9 and pipp
Mine is the same. The problem is, it affects TACC no matter what, so basically you have no option of even cruise control on two lane highways. So, it’s not an autosteer issue, it’s a TACC issue. It’s crazy that the software was released in this state. I’ve already set up a report through the SC and supposedly they are monitoring the issue, but I have little confidence that anything will be done about it in any timely way. I hope I’m surprised.

My vehicle is supposed vision-only from the factory, but back in the summer I did not have the issue anywhere nearly as much. It’s been the last few software versions where it’s been unusable. I’m finally now up to 44.6 and it’s just as bad or worse than ever.

You can turn off Automatic Emergency Braking, but that setting doesn't stick, so you have to do it for every drive. You can also disable or reduce the sensitivity of the Forward Collision Warning, and that setting will remain in effect until you change it again.

I've used Autosteer on two-lane roads like those in the OP, and had some unexpected braking but not too bad.