Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC as standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autosteer has been a complete game changer for me. Definitely most valuable when: 1) traveling in areas with higher density of past Tesla routes (e.g. SF Bay Area) - this lowers the error rate a lot, 2) using it on a regular commute, where you are not interested in focusing on the same boring drive, and you repeat the same drive over and over to learn where the autosteer is flawless vs. has some trouble 3) encounter frustrating bumper to bumper traffic at time (it REALLY shines here) 4) are ok spending a little time learning what it can and can not do, and getting comfortable around it's limitations. If you find yourself with some/all of that, I almost can't imagine my 2hr round trip commute any other way anymore. I hardly have to do anything anymore on my commute and it feel as relaxing as being driven in an Uber within the limitations.

TACC is awesome and worth $2500 all by itself. Autosteer for me is not relaxing because it's still squirly and jumpy and makes mistakes although in time this will get better. I could live without it but not TACC.

Auto high beams is 100% accurate for me and speed limit warning about 90% accurate.

TACC was table stakes for me, didn't buy the car 'till it was there.
Auto high beam has been 100% for me
Speed limit signs have been about 40% in Canada, mostly it misses signs completely, when it reads them it's fairly good (except 120km/hr signs, it never reads those right) but on a recent trip to the US it was 100% there, so I wonder if there's something it doesn't like about our signs that read "Maximum" as opposed to "Speed Limit" as all the signs I passed in the US did.
Autosteer has been quite nice, but that wasn't the important part for me.

Autosteer is pretty cool, but TACC is fantastic. I'd have no hesitation paying the premium just for TACC. I'd say that 80% of the full awesomeness of autopilot is TACC. It takes driving in heavy traffic from a chore to a trivial task. It takes dealing with slowpokes on the open road from an ongoing annoyance to no big deal.

You might change your mind on autosteer once you get to try it out. But even if you don't, I'd say TACC is well worth the price of admission by itself.

TACC is awesome, auto-steer is almost awesome but still quite extremely good. There are various kinks that still need to be worked out of auto-steer but TACC is solid. I hate being in our Volt in traffic now... You get so acclimated to TACC...

Oh and 'dirkhh' do you just really hate your car and\or Tesla? From the various threads I simply would say yikes...

Jeff

TAAC - totally awesome and super reliable. Relieves stress and anxiety
AutoSteer? Not so much. CREATES stress and anxiety on new roads/drives. As one poster stated, it's probably better for routine drives where conditions don't change much.
I'd vote for a lesser expensive option to buy TAAC without Autosteer.

AutoSteer? Not so much. CREATES stress and anxiety on new roads/drives. As one poster stated, it's probably better for routine drives where conditions don't change much.

My experience is different, I just did about 1500 miles on roads I'd never driven my MS on, most of it with autosteer. It was incredibly valuable for me. The breakthrough was getting to the point where I could recognize and anticipate its quirks. That did not take long, probably two driving hours or so? By the end of the trip it was completely reflexive for me to take stronger control of the wheel when passing an off-ramp, for example. No drama.

Here is what I've found, and my understanding of what goes under the autopilot package.

TACC is simply awesome. Sure it could auto-adjust for an unsmooth driver in front, but it does pretty good job overall.

Auto-Steer works really fairly well as long as you're not in the right lane, and on undivided highways. In the right lane I find it too bothersome due to how it reacts to exits/on-ramps, and in undivided highways it causes me too much anxiety. One thing to keep in mind about auto-steer is this is the first version. When the first version of TACC arrived it wasn't nearly as good as it is now. So I think its a bit too early to judge auto-steer, and it's also hard to talk HONESTLY about auto-steer. If someone says how they REALLY use it they'll get a lot of flack. If they post some experimental video testing it in a controlled environment they'll get flack. The problem is everyone has different opinions about what is safe and prudent. On a trip to Cali I probably only spent half the trip with a hand on the steering wheel, but I felt like I was being safe. It's not like I allowed it to do Hwy 17 down to Santa Cruz.

Auto-Park right now is pretty limited. Supposedly they're adding stall parking, and judging by the parking jobs I've seen at superchargers it's badly needed.

Additionally I would say there are two other things to consider.

The AutoPilot hardware comes standard because of Tesla's commitment to safety. It's used for emergency braking for example. It's of my own personal opinion to reward a company that does that by getting the package, and I say this as someone who hardly ever says that kind of thing.

Much of the current excitement/development centers around the AutoPilot package. Tesla as a whole is pushing really fast towards level III semi-autonomous driving. I just can't see them pulling anything out of the package and making it standard. I could easily see them making the entire thing standard.

I've seen zero false positives and negatives with my auto high beams. Perhaps you need some adjustments to your vehicle sensors or lights.
I second that, I was paranoid I'd be blinding people, so I've been paying close attention. Not a single mistake ever. That is one feature they definitely got right, I really can't come up with any possible way to improve it, I turned on the high beams when I got the car and haven't touched them since. They only engage when it's dark enough to need them, and dim for any traffic in either direction.

Auto-steer takes a little bit getting used to. At first it actually takes more attention and causes more stress than driving without it, but just as with TACC, one quickly learns its capabilities and weaknesses and learns to trust it. The takeaway from this however is that you cannot judge its usefulness until you have few days of driving with it under your belt - this means you cannot fully appreciate it just taking a test drive at a local Tesla store (actually it will seem more stressful driving with it on).

Once you learn its limitations, it works well. I love it in stop and go traffic where I can let go of the wheel. I like using it when cruising on the highway in good visibility weather, keeping one hand on the wheel at all times - it's surprising how quickly you learn to foresee where AP is going to have a problem (mixed old/new lane markings, lane splits or exists on the left, etc).

I second that, I was paranoid I'd be blinding people, so I've been paying close attention. Not a single mistake ever. That is one feature they definitely got right, I really can't come up with any possible way to improve it, I turned on the high beams when I got the car and haven't touched them since. They only engage when it's dark enough to need them, and dim for any traffic in either direction.

It hasn't been as good for me on the loaners I have had. Works great on the high and busier city streets, but it dislikes my residential roads. I've blinded my neighbors around the house at night when the high beams didn't disengage on the loaner. I suspect all the trees, hills, and curves in the neighborhood and preventing it from identifying the other cars. But on the open road, works great!

It hasn't been as good for me on the loaners I have had. Works great on the high and busier city streets, but it dislikes my residential roads. I've blinded my neighbors around the house at night when the high beams didn't disengage on the loaner. I suspect all the trees, hills, and curves in the neighborhood and preventing it from identifying the other cars. But on the open road, works great!
Odd, mine never engage in the city at all, seems that when there are street lights it doesn't do the high-beams, only when I'm out of town do they ever come on.