Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC/AutoSteer Makes Me Nervous at Intersections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have those nervous moments? Or is it just a matter of learning to trust the car over time? It's a jarring experience to roll in so fast and slow down with aggressive Regen. Any thoughts?

I quit allowing the car to stop in the city for the reasons you cited. I actually trust the car now (mostly) to stop, but I don't like it using the brakes all the time to be as aggressive as it is. I still use TACC in teh city but generally deactivate it as I approach a light.

I do think Tesla should have some kind of slider to set between aggressive and casual for how the car does everything on autopilot. A computer should be super efficient and accurate at both extremes. ie, if it knows it will need to stop in 100 ft, it should be far more exact than a human would be on the exact deceleration / regen rate to come to a stop within that distance.

I also feel like the auto steer on the car can be too abrupt and it shouldn't be. again, the computer should be 100% capable of plotting the cleanest arc between turn start and turn end to make for a super smooth ride. I'm a pilot (small aircraft), I know that lots of configuration changes need to happen on takeoff and approach on larger planes, but if you do it right the passengers won't even notice. I carry a lot of that over to my driving, to be as clean as possible, even when its just me in the car.

Reactions: Impaler
I’ve found I can nudge the car about one tire width in either direction to give me a little more clearance on the interstate by applying a little torque to the steering wheel in the opposite direction. The car feels me steering toward the adjacent vehicle and pushes the car away. It’s subtle/minimal but is enough to make me more comfortable.

I do think Tesla should have some kind of slider to set between aggressive and casual for how the car does everything on autopilot.

Great idea for a software update. I think, though, even better than that would be to configure each aspect of autonomous actions based on your driving profile/style. For instance, I like the fast lane changing but blood pressure really goes up when I'm rolling up to an intersection red light, with a bunch of cars on either side of me. I normally slow down way before that and am more cautious and prepared to be defensive if someone decides they want to cut over a lane for a perceived faster trip. I feel like my MY wouldn't be able to stop in time. So I generally turn off TACC in traffic.

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model Y and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model Y, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.

Yup, mine's at 4. I'd never want to be closer than that.