Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC/AutoSteer Makes Me Nervous at Intersections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Impaler

'20 MY LR Black/Black, 20" induction w/FSD
Jul 5, 2020
USA
Hi all. I've only had my Model Y for a week now, and I have FSD. I love to use the Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Auto Steer when possible. When on a 55 mph road with lights and intersections, in medium traffic, I get really nervous when the car approaches a red light with cars lined up...it hasn't yet not stopped on time, or freaked out and did something crazy, but I feel the car is coming up on traffic SO fast, and I can see it's making the most use of Regen braking coming to the light. For me, the speed the car comes to a slow down and stop is far more aggressive than my driving style, which is pretty defensive and I give lots of room/spacing and don't like to roll up to an intersection fast like that. I have been just turning both off in that situation because I want to approach more gradually and not so fast. If I'm in the left lane and a car came out and changed lanes I don't know that the car would be able to avoid that car and hit it.

Anyone else have those nervous moments? Or is it just a matter of learning to trust the car over time? It's a jarring experience to roll in so fast and slow down with aggressive Regen. Any thoughts?

I have a new Y too. It does tterexact same thing. The autopilot after a month has just worked flawlessly earning my trust. It follows highways and negotiates sharp turns well. It did surprisingly well in stop-and-go traffic.. Once on a single lane long country oadr, it did slow down sharply for no reason. Other than that, it has performed really well. My wife still doesn't trust it.

• Informative
Reactions: BlindPass
I have a new Y too. It does tterexact same thing. The autopilot after a month has just worked flawlessly earning my trust. It follows highways and negotiates sharp turns well. It did surprisingly well in stop-and-go traffic.. Once on a single lane long country oadr, it did slow down sharply for no reason. Other than that, it has performed really well. My wife still doesn't trust it.

Thanks for the thoughts. So do you just let it do its thing at intersections? I seem to hover my foot over the brake in these situations, because I see traffic coming up so fast!

Yeah, I have found that it has to get to stopping as fast as possible. Same thing with in city lane changes. AP will move me over much more aggressively in the city than it does on the highway. But to your original question, I do wish it slowed down sooner than just slamming hard on the brakes. I have my follow set at 6 and it seems to help some, but can still be aggressive.

Thanks for the thoughts. So do you just let it do its thing at intersections? I seem to hover my foot over the brake in these situations, because I see traffic coming up so fast!

I use the autopilot mostly on highway or longer roadways as it makes no sense to use it where it is congested, etc. I don't know whether Tesla has the autopilot follow the GPS navigation or at least give the route priority. If not, they should have amend the software to do so. On most highways, there is a dotted line going past the off ramps and the car follows the highway without problem. If there is any question (such as in a fork in the road) like any normal person, I hover my foot over the brake, etc.

Yeah, I have found that it has to get to stopping as fast as possible. Same thing with in city lane changes. AP will move me over much more aggressively in the city than it does on the highway. But to your original question, I do wish it slowed down sooner than just slamming hard on the brakes. I have my follow set at 6 and it seems to help some, but can still be aggressive.
What do you mean "my follow set at 6"?

What do you mean "my follow set at 6"?

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model Y and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model Y, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.

Reactions: CO_MY and ArtK
Hi all. I've only had my Model Y for a week now, and I have FSD. I love to use the Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Auto Steer when possible. When on a 55 mph road with lights and intersections, in medium traffic, I get really nervous when the car approaches a red light with cars lined up...it hasn't yet not stopped on time, or freaked out and did something crazy, but I feel the car is coming up on traffic SO fast, and I can see it's making the most use of Regen braking coming to the light. For me, the speed the car comes to a slow down and stop is far more aggressive than my driving style, which is pretty defensive and I give lots of room/spacing and don't like to roll up to an intersection fast like that. I have been just turning both off in that situation because I want to approach more gradually and not so fast. If I'm in the left lane and a car came out and changed lanes I don't know that the car would be able to avoid that car and hit it.

Anyone else have those nervous moments? Or is it just a matter of learning to trust the car over time? It's a jarring experience to roll in so fast and slow down with aggressive Regen. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE

We have about 2,000 miles on our Y. The same issue occurs in city traffic and highway. If a car crosses the lane that I am i in order for them to make a left turn, a human would judge the car's speed and would brake or not brake according to their judgment of whether the turning car would be a threat or not. But Tesla indiscriminately jamms on the brakes and risks a rear end collission.

I have experienced the same issue of the Tesla momentarily stopping or slowing down rapidly, especially on curves. It also occurs if an oncoming truck or other vehicle is making a left turn across my lane of traffic. Even though quite a distance away in my estimation, the Tesla will anticipate the turning vehicle as a threat and make a loud noise and stops so that any vehicle behind me would need to also stop quickly to avoid rear end collission.

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model Y and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model Y, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.
Thanks so much

Anyone else have those nervous moments? Or is it just a matter of learning to trust the car over time? It's a jarring experience to roll in so fast and slow down with aggressive Regen. Any thoughts?
Not only does it make me nervous, but when the car slows dramatically for what seems to be no reason, my family glares at me and begs me to turn the auto pilot off.

I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with the Owner’s Manual.

Autopilot and FSD are Beta features - these features, while they are functional most of the time everywhere, are intended to be used on highways and limited access roads only.

When using in roads with intersections, strongly advise the driver to be always ready to take control of the vehicle.

40EE0410-E639-4C23-9A4E-B3AE61423CFB.jpeg

Another reason to stay attentive while using TACC: Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control apparently doesn’t know what to do with flashing signals. You may have heard CT was hit hard last week with widespread power outages due to tropical storm damage. As power was restored many communities had numerous flashing yellow or flashing red signals at intersections for several days until the traffic authority or DOT reset them. Our MY attempted to stop at each of these intersections regardless of whether I moved the gear stalk or tapped the accelerator to confirm to proceed. It would proceed a few feet buy the next flash (which was a second later) it would stop again.

Apparently I have been steering to the left of center the 50 years that I have been driving. The only reason I know is because auto steer scared the heck out of me because it seem to be hugging the right side of the lane. No, it was in the center and I have been driving to the left all this time.

I feel kind of stupid that it took a car to point it out. :)

Apparently I have been steering to the left of center the 50 years that I have been driving. The only reason I know is because auto steer scared the heck out of me because it seem to be hugging the right side of the lane. No, it was in the center and I have been driving to the left all this time.

Apparently for 45 years I’ve been giving trucks a really wide berth when I pass them on the highway. But it feels like my car wants to rub mirrors with them

Same here and I wish Autopilot had an adjustable lane position preference setting like the following distance setting.

My car decided it needed to do a panic stop at a red light yesterday afternoon even though I was the first car and still had 10-20 feet to go to the stop line. It is a freeway exit coming up a grade to an overpass and I was doing about 20. There WAS a car crossing the intersection in the lane closest to my stop line and I guess it got excited?

In my 40+ years of driving, I also have learned to drive right of center, just in case someone else is taking their half out of the middle. The Autosteer always jerks to the left when I engage it to get to the center. It makes for a great newbie prank. I think they should have a options to drive 1 foot or maybe even 2 feet to the right of center as that also helps to avoid potholes. TACC is reactive and safety programmed. Any sharp curve means SLOW DOWN. A crosswalk means slow down. A crosswalk with a 2'-3' sign that looks like a person in the middle means REALLY SLOW DOWN. It is almost unusable on country roads near towns. It is definitely geared towards safety. Except when approaching read lights or stop signs. It loves rushing up to those before rapidly slowing down. As pointed out increasing the follow distance helps a wee bit but it still likes to rush up and stop. There is no auto coasting option which is needed.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue