Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC/Autosteer/NOA Detecting Things That Don't Exist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently took delivery of a 2022 Model Y Long Range. I have noticed when using TACC/Autosteer/NOA that the software will frequently detect something in front of the vehicle even on completely empty roads. I've put >1500km on the car and have noticed it on every type of road I've used it on. On split highways this isn't that bad, it just kind of skittishly suggests changing into a passing lane (I have require lane change confirmations turned on) and then clears the suggestion repeatedly:

Nothing appears on the visualization. The front windshield is clean.

However on two-lane roads it's much more dangerous. It will decelerate aggressively like it's trying to brake-check whoever's behind me, and then just casually accelerate back up to the set point. Or it will make the "DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT" you're-going-to-hit-something tone, which is nervewracking especially when it's doing it as I'm traveling past traffic in the oncoming lane and I think it thinks I'm going to hit them. I have also had one incident of "Steering applied to prevent collision" where it tried to dodge something on a completely empty road.

I'm going to do a service request, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this and had any suggestions while I wait.

Recently took delivery of a 2022 Model Y Long Range. I have noticed when using TACC/Autosteer/NOA that the software will frequently detect something in front of the vehicle even on completely empty roads. I've put >1500km on the car and have noticed it on every type of road I've used it on. On split highways this isn't that bad, it just kind of skittishly suggests changing into a passing lane (I have require lane change confirmations turned on) and then clears the suggestion repeatedly:

...I'm going to do a service request, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this and had any suggestions while I wait...

My guess is Tesla would say it works as designed.

It's what I call a phantom brake, any kinds of undesirable deceleration and in the release notes, it's called "false slowdowns".

Tesla said the cause was radar and it proposed that by switching to pure vision it'll be sublime.

However, now we know that the promise of how great pure vision will be is still a long way from now.

As for suggestion, since now you actually experience what "beta" means, please train your reflexes to be superhuman to counter act with any bad behavior from the beta program.

You could choose to drive manually without TACC nor AutoSteer until Tesla can figure out the pure vision issues.

Reactions: voxel
My guess is Tesla would say it works as designed.
😨

It's what I call a phantom brake, any kinds of undesirable deceleration and in the release notes, it's called "false slowdowns".

Tesla said the cause was radar and it proposed that by switching to pure vision it'll be sublime.

However, now we know that the promise of how great pure vision will be is still a long way from now.

As for suggestion, since now you actually experience what "beta" means, please train your reflexes to be superhuman to counter act with any bad behavior from the beta program.
Now that I've looked for the phrase "phantom breaking" I see just how widespread the issue is, thanks for the pointer! I've even seen a message suggest that AP/Autosteer isn't supported on undivided highways (Unhappy with phantom braking). It seems like it might be prudent to not use those features for now given their behavior. This is really unfortunate. My friend's first-generation Model 3 has none of these issues.

I'm going to try to redo camera calibration, because why not. I've also requested service through the app but their response was:
We will take a look, however this is a beta system and will always error on side of safety, it is on ongoing development.
Which strongly suggests that they don't think they can resolve it.

You could choose to drive manually without TACC nor AutoSteer until Tesla can figure out the pure vision issues.
Yeah, I'll probably do that on undivided roads for now. I just got finished a 13h road trip, so it's unfortunate I'm likely going to have the same issues on the return.

I have had similar issues but the worst case where the autopilot was unusable was when I drove towards a bright setting sun on highway and bugs were splattering onto windshield. Kept giving the 4 DOOT warning after 30 seconds of driving. Repeated wiper with wash didn’t help.