Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC Avoidance Braking is aggressive and very early

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MYLR owner here, I was wondering if the detection distance for braking while using TACC could be shortened. Several times a vehicle has turned left in front of me but there was plenty of room - once I swear it was 1/8+ mile away or better but the MY braked HARD - glad no one was behind me. The other time was closer but the braking was still way too aggressive. I have read about phantom braking this is just braking too hard and too early for the situation. TIA.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
The braking when someone has plenty of room is really annoying. I searched the forum and didn't find much about this problem. I would think this would have been addressed in FSD a long time ago. I was hoping some things would filter down.

Breaking too early? I always see that it starts breaking too late after the car has mostly passed my driving path. I am okay with this slowing down, but it needs to happen just when the car enters my lane (or may be half a second earlier than that), but not after the car has almost left my lane.

Having 2 other Model 3's before my MYP and no hard braking events on those older cars, my guess is that this is the effect of not having radar and sonar anymore. I'm pretty sick and tired of Elon trying to increase his margins at the expense of putting out shoddier products. I'm seriously at a point of selling the MYP and going back to a car with 2.5 MCU as I can confirm those cars still let you run AP at 1 car distance and not suffering from this crap.

Last edited:
Having 2 other Model 3's before my MYP and no hard braking events on those older cars, my guess is that this is the effect of not having radar and sonar anymore. I'm pretty sick and tired of Elon trying to increase his margins at the expense of putting out shoddier products. I'm seriously at a point of selling the MYP and going back to a car with 2.5 MCU as I can confirm those cars still let you run AP at 1 car distance and not suffering from this crap.
Do you mean AP 2.5?

Our MCU2/AP3 MX Raven minimum distance is 2…

New MYLR owner here, I was wondering if the detection distance for braking while using TACC could be shortened. Several times a vehicle has turned left in front of me but there was plenty of room - once I swear it was 1/8+ mile away or better but the MY braked HARD - glad no one was behind me. The other time was closer but the braking was still way too aggressive. I have read about phantom braking this is just braking too hard and too early for the situation. TIA.

Yea, this is frustrating. Have you had a bike rider, pedestrian or police with flashing lights on the shoulder yet? Same reaction. I have a feeling some of this will be driven by lawsuits. It sucks, but when Tesla gets sued for driver stupidity we all pay.

Over time you'll learn what the triggers are. In your specific instance, I'm usually covering the accelerator when I see it coming. You can override the Autopilot slowdown. For pedestrians/bikes/cops I'll usually just turn AP off for a bit.