Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC controls speed on sharp bends with ease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has always fascinated me how Tesla automatically slows the car under TACC to enable a safe speed on sharp bends.
A particularly good example for me occurs on my regular trip from Melbourne to Portland via Cobden.

In the attached video, I have the cruise control set at 100 km/hr and am aware of the impending hard right bend approaching. The Tesla automatically slows to about 63 km/hr when negotiating the bend and then gradually increases speed to the set 100 km/hr after completing the turn.

In my previous vehicles I had needed to disengage cruise control to slow the car prior to entering the bend, but with Tesla's TACC the slowing and return to set speed are controlled by the TACC system and it performs perfectly.

I have traveled this road many times and in different vehicles. It is such a pleasure witnessing the control the Tesla displays when negotiating this and other bends in the road.

Are there other Makes of cars on the road today that perform this sort of controlled speed around sharp bends?

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-19_22-21-52.png
    upload_2016-7-19_22-21-52.png
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 59
That 'feature' really annoys me. If I set the TACC to 100 or 110 then I don't want it second guessing me and slowing down! It's overly cautious imo, and slows the car too much for corners that don't need it. Under autopilot I get it, and it's reasonable, but with TACC at times on a windy road I've been frustrated and wished for a more primitive system.

Very interesting. This feature is news to me!

A question for the experts - How does this work?
  • Does it use the on-board camera to see the lane boundary and compute how tight the curve is?
  • Or does it use GPS and the road map?
  • Or anything else???

If you want that much control over driving speed, maybe TACC isn't for you. Keeping the same speed around tight curves is dangerous, I'm glad Tesla does it right.

When you are driving well below a safe cornering speed then maintaining a constant speed around corners is not dangerous at all. The TACC is overly cautious. It's like slowing down for every slight curve in a freeway.