Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC failure on Tesla Vision software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a huge fan of basic AP and actually had no issue when my radar was disabled, but that all changed over the past two weeks when it's started raining in Seattle and the day becomes shorter. On multiple occasions when it's fairly dark and rainy, the car will suddenly slow down in the middle of the freeway due to poor visibility. It had zero problem navigating the same stretch of road in the same condition when it had radar, and the environment is definitely safe enough for humans to drive, but Tesla Vision completely failed. Since everyone is driving in normal speed around me the slow downs made it dangerous.
Did you get the Autopilot restricted to 90km/h (or mph equivalent) alert message? I have reported to Tesla service centre that this alert message is inadequate and there should be an alert similar to the auto steer disable alert when you have to move the steering wheel. Agree that the slowdown is totally unsafe but at least a visable and audible alert would allow you to “take over” proactively.

Did you get the Autopilot restricted to 90km/h (or mph equivalent) alert message? I have reported to Tesla service centre that this alert message is inadequate and there should be an alert similar to the auto steer disable alert when you have to move the steering wheel. Agree that the slowdown is totally unsafe but at least a visable and audible alert would allow you to “take over” proactively.

The first couple times I experienced this is a sudden slow down on the freeway, the feeling is almost identical to a Tesla Vision version of a phantom braking (gentler than radar version of PB), I didn't know what's going on until the 3rd time this had happened I glanced down at the screen and noticed the small alert message stating vehicle speed has been reduced due to poor visibility (no specific speed that it's reduced to), the alert message is the same as the one for speed limit due to presence of emergency lights. No audio alert or flashing blue bar accompanying the message.

I came across this interesting YT video which is an interview of Andrej Karpathy, the previous head of AI at Tesla who explains Tesla’s logic for removing Radar and Ultrasonic sensors.
Why Tesla removed Ultrasonic Sensors
I’m not for or against the move, I just think this is a good insight to the thinking that is going on at Tesla.
Let's hope the thinking translates into a perfect working reality.

I came across this interesting YT video which is an interview of Andrej Karpathy, the previous head of AI at Tesla who explains Tesla’s logic for removing Radar and Ultrasonic sensors.
Why Tesla removed Ultrasonic Sensors
I’m not for or against the move, I just think this is a good insight to the thinking that is going on at Tesla.
Good insight. Did I correctly interpret the comment "that you need a big fleet" that means that we're all working on Tesla development in gathering them data to build the AI?

Unfortunately he didn't address the User in the entire equation. That is the Consumer / schmuck who paid $$$ for a product that they're rolling out regressive updates to whilst they pursue their vision.

Reactions: DasBoot
I have an M3 with radar and have been holding out on the update that disabled the radar... just read this thread and am convinced I've made the right decision. I do lots of highway driving (including at night) and I can't afford to lose my radar just now.
You've made the right choice. I've got two cars, a M3 with radar and a MY without radar. The amount of false braking in the afternoon for shadows or approaching tunnels is out of control. Stick with radar if you've got it.

Reactions: Gayle S and jaykaye
Driving up the East Coast we noticed that the MY did a lot of false braking (and scared the living 💩 out of me!) I don't notice it in my M3 but then I don't use TACC much around town. I've done all the updates in the M3, does that mean that radar has been disabled?

Driving up the East Coast we noticed that the MY did a lot of false braking (and scared the living 💩 out of me!) I don't notice it in my M3 but then I don't use TACC much around town.
The single best thing you can do for avoiding unnecessary braking/slowing is to wind your TACC follow distance out a bit, to 4 or 5. Possibly you have it set differently in the 3?
I've done all the updates in the M3, does that mean that radar has been disabled?
Yes.

Reactions: Gayle S