TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TACC following distance

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KeithT, Oct 24, 2020.

1. KeithT

KeithT My Model 1

I think under the AutoPilot menu there was a variable that set the following distance (I had it set to 5 which seemed to obey the '2 second' rule at higher speeds). But now I can't find it - has it been supplanted?

I did notice a few revisions ago that braking got more aggressive and it didn't seem to start braking until later. I just thought the algorithm had changed but maybe it now has a built-in 'following distance' that isn't what I would have chosen.

Thanks

• Like x 1
  2. JBT66

JBT66 Member

Press the right scroll wheel right or left to adjust follow distance.

• Like x 2
  3. rincewind

rincewind Member

^^^ This

4. JATinNH

JATinNH Member

I noticed it has disappeared from the Controls menu as well. It used to be in CONTROLS>AUTOPILOT but is no longer there. Owner's manual still says its there. Of course the right scroll button is the shortcut, but you're not losing your mind. ;)

• Like x 2
  5. KenC

KenC Active Member

My own observation is that each increment is ½ a second, so a "5" would be 2.5secs.

6. Mikeydeek

Mikeydeek Member

2 second rule has kept me alive! I keep mine at 7 but sometimes still feels too close! The option is still in the autopilot options for me.

7. Mikeydeek

Mikeydeek Member

Just checked on a drive. Option has gone from my menu too now!!

8. KeithT

KeithT My Model 1

Thanks, either didn't know or had forgotten about that. I followed your advice and found out that the distance was set to 3! I had it at 5. Not sure how it got changed but this is probably the reason why I suddenly thought that it's leaving the braking too late. Will test though.

• Like x 1
  9. lUtriaNt

lUtriaNt Member

perhaps if you had an update recently maybe that reset it back to 3.

10. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

I usually leave it on 2.
    3 seems to brake way too early and cars behind me do not expect that. Almost got rear ended.

11. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

yeah, 7 is too close for dual lane rural highways where you have to tail behind trucks etc for a bit. There should be an 8 setting which is as far as it lets you.

12. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

wow. I have mine set at 1 and I feel like it still leaves too much gap. Here in the Boston area, you'll get perpetually cut off if you leave any room between you and the next car. and the people behind you get pissed cause you're "slowing down the lane" letting people in.

• Like x 1
  13. lUtriaNt

lUtriaNt Member

the main reason i set this setting to high (5 or more) is because i want the car to regen more than use the friction brakes. i dont want brake dust getting on my wheels.. :p

14. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

Different settings for different situations... You need 1 in dense, slow highway traffic so you don't get cut. 2-3-4 for normal highway driving, maybe more for rural roads to wait until you can pass.

• Like x 1
  15. PDX-JP

PDX-JP Member

that’s interesting. I have mine set at 3 because anything more and people will cut in front of you resulting in hard breaking. If not for that factor I’d be at 4 or 5 for a more genteel experience

• Like x 1
  16. KenC

KenC Active Member

I vaguely recall when I had my Volt, that I was able to measure what I thought was a normal follow distance in Boston, and it was about 0.6secs. Anything more, and Bostonians would dodge in front of you for the gap. A "1" in the Tesla should be 0.5secs, so it should be about normal for Boston driving. Haven't tested it myself, but I like to use "3" and not worry about fools who barge the gap.

17. KenC

KenC Active Member

Strange. A "7" should be about 3.5secs. You're saying that's too close following a semi? I don't follow semis because I don't want a pebble to crack my windshield. I wonder what a safe distance would be to prevent pebbles. How long do they stay up in the air, would be a good question for high school intro physics class.

18. Redbrick

Redbrick Member

Gosh, I wish we could set the follow distance to 21 or something like that.

• Funny x 1
  19. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

I'm beginning to think that it depends on whether you have EAP or not. I personally find the TACC and Autopilot slows down too much when approaching a vehicle on the highway. Even at a setting like 3 it slows before I have time to signal and change lanes. I am forced to put it at 1 or 2 because of that. I don't want to hog the left lane for too long you see... If I had EAP, it might change lanes instead of slowing?
    On rural roads where you cannot pass, or only in certain areas, I do want to stay farther away but I want to be able to pass when it's legal so I can't be that far away. Even then, I have to say I don't quite understand the "21" request :)

20. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

7 still gets you windshieldrockchips, so yeah its too close. i should know, where i live its 1300km to the next dual carriageway.

• Funny x 1