Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC following distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think under the AutoPilot menu there was a variable that set the following distance (I had it set to 5 which seemed to obey the '2 second' rule at higher speeds). But now I can't find it - has it been supplanted?

I did notice a few revisions ago that braking got more aggressive and it didn't seem to start braking until later. I just thought the algorithm had changed but maybe it now has a built-in 'following distance' that isn't what I would have chosen.

Thanks

Reactions: Mr X
I think under the AutoPilot menu there was a variable that set the following distance (I had it set to 5 which seemed to obey the '2 second' rule at higher speeds). But now I can't find it - has it been supplanted?
I noticed it has disappeared from the Controls menu as well. It used to be in CONTROLS>AUTOPILOT but is no longer there. Owner's manual still says its there. Of course the right scroll button is the shortcut, but you're not losing your mind. ;)

I did notice a few revisions ago that braking got more aggressive and it didn't seem to start braking until later. I just thought the algorithm had changed but maybe it now has a built-in 'following distance' that isn't what I would have chosen.

Thanks
My own observation is that each increment is ½ a second, so a "5" would be 2.5secs.

Thanks
2 second rule has kept me alive! I keep mine at 7 but sometimes still feels too close! The option is still in the autopilot options for me.

Press the right scroll wheel right or left to adjust follow distance.
Thanks, either didn't know or had forgotten about that. I followed your advice and found out that the distance was set to 3! I had it at 5. Not sure how it got changed but this is probably the reason why I suddenly thought that it's leaving the braking too late. Will test though.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
the main reason i set this setting to high (5 or more) is because i want the car to regen more than use the friction brakes. i dont want brake dust getting on my wheels.. :p

that’s interesting. I have mine set at 3 because anything more and people will cut in front of you resulting in hard breaking. If not for that factor I’d be at 4 or 5 for a more genteel experience

Reactions: lUtriaNt
wow. I have mine set at 1 and I feel like it still leaves too much gap. Here in the Boston area, you'll get perpetually cut off if you leave any room between you and the next car. and the people behind you get pissed cause you're "slowing down the lane" letting people in.
I vaguely recall when I had my Volt, that I was able to measure what I thought was a normal follow distance in Boston, and it was about 0.6secs. Anything more, and Bostonians would dodge in front of you for the gap. A "1" in the Tesla should be 0.5secs, so it should be about normal for Boston driving. Haven't tested it myself, but I like to use "3" and not worry about fools who barge the gap.

yeah, 7 is too close for dual lane rural highways where you have to tail behind trucks etc for a bit. There should be an 8 setting which is as far as it lets you.
Strange. A "7" should be about 3.5secs. You're saying that's too close following a semi? I don't follow semis because I don't want a pebble to crack my windshield. I wonder what a safe distance would be to prevent pebbles. How long do they stay up in the air, would be a good question for high school intro physics class.

I'm beginning to think that it depends on whether you have EAP or not. I personally find the TACC and Autopilot slows down too much when approaching a vehicle on the highway. Even at a setting like 3 it slows before I have time to signal and change lanes. I am forced to put it at 1 or 2 because of that. I don't want to hog the left lane for too long you see... If I had EAP, it might change lanes instead of slowing?
On rural roads where you cannot pass, or only in certain areas, I do want to stay farther away but I want to be able to pass when it's legal so I can't be that far away. Even then, I have to say I don't quite understand the "21" request :)

Strange. A "7" should be about 3.5secs. You're saying that's too close following a semi? I don't follow semis because I don't want a pebble to crack my windshield. I wonder what a safe distance would be to prevent pebbles. How long do they stay up in the air, would be a good question for high school intro physics class.

7 still gets you windshieldrockchips, so yeah its too close. i should know, where i live its 1300km to the next dual carriageway.