Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC Follows WAY too closely - Even after getting FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a relatively conservative driver. I don't like to be closer than about 2 seconds behind the person in front of me and, after a defensive driving course, I'm just as happy 2 1/2 - 3 seconds behind.

In my 2017 MX (MCU2, AP 3.0 or "Full Self Driving Computer" as reported by the car) I have always found that TACC follows WAY too closely.

By my reckoning setting the follow distance to 1 gives maybe a half-second follow distance.
7 gives me anything from around 1 1/2 seconds to *maybe* 2 seconds on the highway. It's more aggressive on secondary streets.

I figured this would get sorted out when the FSD software was implemented since it was supposed to be used both on and off highways.

However I now have FSD and the follow distances are still the same.

I'm fine with 1 being so uber-aggressive, but I figure that by 3 or 4 we should be at a comfortable 2 seconds and 7 should be approaching 3 or 4 seconds behind.

IMHO, when you're closer than 2 seconds behind someone, you're pressuring them to go faster. I'm far happier letting other drivers drive at the speed they need to and staying a respectful distance behind them.

Does anybody else with a Model X find that their TACC follow distance is way too close?

I've been fine with the distances for years in my older MX. 6-7 for spacing out and 1-2 when I don't wanna get cut off alot at slower speeds.

What I noticed in my new MX which I assume is vision based, is it's VERY inconsistent. On same setting, say 5, it will go like 7-8 car lentgh and then at same speed get to like 3-4.

Not sure I'm getting it all but I've AP for 5 Years and never had issue with this so I'm thinking vision based has a bit harder time judging distances.

I also have a 2017 Model X (MCU 2, AP 3) but don't have FSD. I also follow the 2 seconds rule (taught by Driver Ed in high school back in the 80s). Having said that, I found distance 3 to 4 is usually 2 seconds on the freeway. I only use TACC on the freeway (65mph+). So when you say even distance 7 is not 2 seconds, was it on local street or highway where speed limit is like 35 or 45 ish?

I also have a 2017 Model X (MCU 2, AP 3) but don't have FSD. I also follow the 2 seconds rule (taught by Driver Ed in high school back in the 80s). Having said that, I found distance 3 to 4 is usually 2 seconds on the freeway. I only use TACC on the freeway (65mph+). So when you say even distance 7 is not 2 seconds, was it on local street or highway where speed limit is like 35 or 45 ish?
For me, distance 7 is just under two seconds all the time once we hit steady state regardless of speed. On the highway when traffic speeds are varying, 7 seems to be a bit laggy in keeping up when the cars ahead of me accelerate to the extent that I can be pretty far behind, but then it accelerates and catches up, and hangs out around two seconds behind them once things have settled. I find on secondary streets that the distance for 1 through 7 seems to be tighter than on the highway.

Regardless, I have had to become comfortable with tailgating people if I want to use traffic aware cruise control in any situation.

Reactions: bpjod
I also would like FSD to not follow as closely when set to 7. I also am fine with it being aggressive at 1-2, but with it set to 7, and in ”Chill” mode, I would like to have it drive more “chill.”

Especially during FSD Beta driving on city streets, it would be easier to monitor traffic and have confidence I have time to intervene when necessary.

GSP

Reactions: cdub and EagleOne
Mine is a 2021 Performance Model 3, did have radar on purchase and assuming it still uses it... and it follows too closely on 6 and 7... but it is generally just a little over 2 seconds at those settings. It does often do the thing where at setting 7, it will lag way behind if someone ahead accelerates... but it catches up and gets too close for a while (less than 2 seconds follow distance). Especially on smaller streets with slower traffic. I would love it if they just set "7" to 5+ seconds of follow time no matter what so you could completely chill.

The other thing that gets me, is in stop and go traffic, no matter the setting, it is a very jerky experience. The car always seems to accelerate too hard and then immediately slams on the brakes as it seems to only see the car directly in front of me and not the guy in front of him who is suddenly stopping. I would love "7" to also be a super chill version in stop and go where it never accelerates hard, that would really make it a more pleasant experience.

Mine is a 2021 Performance Model 3, did have radar on purchase and assuming it still uses it... and it follows too closely on 6 and 7... but it is generally just a little over 2 seconds at those settings. It does often do the thing where at setting 7, it will lag way behind if someone ahead accelerates... but it catches up and gets too close for a while (less than 2 seconds follow distance). Especially on smaller streets with slower traffic. I would love it if they just set "7" to 5+ seconds of follow time no matter what so you could completely chill.

The other thing that gets me, is in stop and go traffic, no matter the setting, it is a very jerky experience. The car always seems to accelerate too hard and then immediately slams on the brakes as it seems to only see the car directly in front of me and not the guy in front of him who is suddenly stopping. I would love "7" to also be a super chill version in stop and go where it never accelerates hard, that would really make it a more pleasant experience.
I agree with the sense of jerkiness, although it has MUCH improved with the FSD Beta.
IMHO the biggest weakness of FSD from a passenger-comfort POV is that it still seems entirely reactionary. When there is traffic stopped ahead, or a car ahead of the car in front of me is slowing to turn onto a side street, I find it unnerving that my car keeps proceeding apace long after I would have begun letting off the accelerator then, at the last minute, it brakes heavily.

Likewise with lane selection. The car *knows* that it needs to be making a left turn at the end of the block, why wait until the last possible minute to move into an appropriate lane in preparation? Now it needs to beg or bully its way into the lane and disrupt everybody else's driving flow on top of making the passengers uncomfortable.

Just because it had it doesn't mean it still uses. I think they shut it off. I THINK the way to tell is max speed of AP at 85 vs 90 previously. AP and not just cruise, cruise still goes to 90. Also the lowest distance without radar is still 2 I think.

I could be WAY off though.

Just because it had it doesn't mean it still uses. I think they shut it off. I THINK the way to tell is max speed of AP at 85 vs 90 previously. AP and not just cruise, cruise still goes to 90. Also the lowest distance without radar is still 2 I think.

I could be WAY off though.
You must be right, starting about a month ago my minimal distance went to "2", so I must be non-radar now. I'll check the 85 vs. 90 speed.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread.

I recently (March) traded in my MX for a new MY and the following distance has been night and day.

Where the Model X was following crazy close to the traffic ahead of me, the Model Y leaves MUCH safer follow distances.
In fact, I now typically keep my follow distance set to 4 or 5 and it stays about 2 1/2 seconds behind traffic.

MUCH BETTER!

Thanks for the update. I am very torn between an older X or newer Y and it seems more and more like a newer Y is a better option
mctnin,

Yes, it was a tough decision. I ended up making a list of things about the MX that I liked and that were not so great. I've pasted that below if that can help.
Keep in mind that a lot of these are subjective...

In addition to the below, I have to say the two things that affected me the most after moving to the MY were:
  1. I cannot believe how much I loved the auto-presenting doors. I literally dislike the door handles on the MY since they are so awkward.
  2. The MX, even such an old one (2017) is noticeably more luxurious than the MY. This took a bit of getting used to.

Pro for keeping MX
No Additional Cash Outlay
Can amortize sunk costs so it wasn't such a bad idea
I really like the falcon wing doors
I like auto presenting doors
Nice to have the 6 seats now and then
Free Premium Wireless
Free supercharging
Already paid for Autopilot & FSD

Con for keeping MX
Need to buy new tires
Cannot carry a lot because 2nd row seats don't fold down
Cannot do one foot driving
Most new software update features won't apply
This is as cheap as the Model Y is ever likely to be due to EV credit
Slow charging
Limited range for longer trips - 180 miles vs 300 Miles.
Warranty expired
Battery warranty for only 2 1/2 more years
Model Y window reporting actually will work
Weatherstripping around falcon wing doors is deteriorating
Car is now a hodge-podge of new and old components which have already caused me issues
TACC Follow distance is ridiculously too aggressive

Reactions: mctnin
I asked if my wife wants to trade in her 2017 MX to a new MY, she said she will drive until the MX dies LOL. I bought extended warranty for the MX so everything is under warranty until end of 2025. Free supercharging is nice although I wish the MX will charge as fast as my M3. The 2017 MX supercharges about 1/2 of the speed of the 2018 M3. The battery is about the same size at about 75 kwh and the 2 cars were only 8 months apart on purchase dates. I wonder if they just slow down the "free" supercharging cars.

I asked if my wife wants to trade in her 2017 MX to a new MY, she said she will drive until the MX dies LOL. I bought extended warranty for the MX so everything is under warranty until end of 2025. Free supercharging is nice although I wish the MX will charge as fast as my M3. The 2017 MX supercharges about 1/2 of the speed of the 2018 M3. The battery is about the same size at about 75 kwh and the 2 cars were only 8 months apart on purchase dates. I wonder if they just slow down the "free" supercharging cars.

Different battery tech

Reactions: brkaus
My wife won’t give up her 2017 x100d with real leather and a center console between 2nd row captains chairs either. I just gave my 5 1/2 year old model 3 to my daughter and bought a performance y. It’s fun to drive and scary fast, but the 6 year old x is a much nicer car.
The fsd beta works great, only complaint is that it rushes up to red lights and suddenly slows. When I see a red light, I gradually slow, letting the regen slow me down .

Reactions: Need