Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC not resuming speed after using accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
Often times when using cruise control you need to temporarily speed up. With every other car I've driven, you hit the accelerator, then as soon as the car slows down to the set speed, cruise control takes over again. With TACC it seems like using the accelerator actually disables it completely and it doesn't turn back on until the car has slowed down to 5-10MPH below the set speed, at which point the car says 'oh, I guess I'd better do something' and kicks back on.

Are other people experience this? How do you deal with it? the only solution I've found is to turn off TACC then turn it back on again which is a pretty poor implementation if that's the case.

I have not noticed that particular behavior, but I have noticed behavior where it (actually AP, not just TACC) seems to get "stuck" at a very slow speed, and I have to press the accelerator to get it to get back up to speed. I'll try to pay attention to the exact circumstances that lead to this, but it is very annoying. It usually seems like there is some kind of reason that it slowed down in the first place (like a speed limit change), but even when the speed limit goes back up (and confirmed by the speed limit and speed setting on the display), it's still creeping along at the slower speed.

Here is what works for me... When I am done with the passing or whatever maneuver, I will slowly ease my foot off to let the car slow down. If the speed drops more than 2mph below my set speed I will ease my foot back into it to hold it there or 1 mph below. About every 5 seconds I will ease my foot off and see if it holds. If it does I let my foot off the rest of the way, if it doesn't I ease back in and repeat.

This is with TACC. I have AP disabled. I desperately wish they would allow a dumb cc option. I will sign whatever waivers they want, just let me set a speed and hold that speed no matter what.

Reactions: RTPEV
Here is what works for me... When I am done with the passing or whatever maneuver, I will slowly ease my foot off to let the car slow down. If the speed drops more than 2mph below my set speed I will ease my foot back into it to hold it there or 1 mph below. About every 5 seconds I will ease my foot off and see if it holds. If it does I let my foot off the rest of the way, if it doesn't I ease back in and repeat.

This is with TACC. I have AP disabled. I desperately wish they would allow a dumb cc option. I will sign whatever waivers they want, just let me set a speed and hold that speed no matter what.
Yeah, I keep trying that and it doesn't work. Maybe I'm just not patient enough. I've noticed that at some point you get a message on the screen saying "TACC will not brake." Once you see that message it's like the car has paused TACC and won't turn it back on unless you slow down to <10 MPH under the set point.

Often times when using cruise control you need to temporarily speed up. With every other car I've driven, you hit the accelerator, then as soon as the car slows down to the set speed, cruise control takes over again. With TACC it seems like using the accelerator actually disables it completely and it doesn't turn back on until the car has slowed down to 5-10MPH below the set speed, at which point the car says 'oh, I guess I'd better do something' and kicks back on.

Are other people experience this? How do you deal with it? the only solution I've found is to turn off TACC then turn it back on again which is a pretty poor implementation if that's the case.
Thank you for starting this thread. I didn’t have a good way to describe the issue, but I do see this occasionally. (I’m driving on highways in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and other states close by.) I’m glad I’m not the only one.

When it happened yesterday, driving around Columbus, it felt like the car was almost held back by a rubber band.

Going about 65 this really threw me off. I had driven about 100 miles before that, no problem. It’s happens sporadically. I couldn’t let the car slow down enough to see if Autopilot would eventually go back to my set speed. So the best thing I’ve found is what @bpnine said, disengage and re-engage Autopilot.

I’m on version 2022.12.3.20, 2021 Model Y around 26,000 miles on the odometer.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Thank you for starting this thread. I didn’t have a good way to describe the issue, but I do see this occasionally. (I’m driving on highways in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and other states close by.) I’m glad I’m not the only one.

When it happened yesterday, driving around Columbus, it felt like the car was almost held back by a rubber band.

Going about 65 this really threw me off. I had driven about 100 miles before that, no problem. It’s happens sporadically. I couldn’t let the car slow down enough to see if Autopilot would eventually go back to my set speed. So the best thing I’ve found is what @bpnine said, disengage and re-engage Autopilot.

I’m on version 2022.12.3.20, 2021 Model Y around 26,000 miles on the odometer.
IME if you let off the accelerator it will eventually kick back in but it may not be until the speed drops 5-10 MPH below the set point. If there’s a lot of traffic that might not be acceptable so canceling and reengaging is the best solution I’ve found, too.

IME if you let off the accelerator it will eventually kick back in but it may not be until the speed drops 5-10 MPH below the set point. If there’s a lot of traffic that might not be acceptable so canceling and reengaging is the best solution I’ve found, too.

I have never actively chosen to use TACC. It's always been AP or nothing. Now with FSDb, I get thrown into TACC with a steering wheel disengagement, and in that short period, TACC performs very poorly. More reason for me to never use it.

Just curious what kind of use case do you prefer to use TACC but not AP (autosteer).

I have never actively chosen to use TACC. It's always been AP or nothing. Now with FSDb, I get thrown into TACC with a steering wheel disengagement, and in that short period, TACC performs very poorly. More reason for me to never use it.

Just curious what kind of use case do you prefer to use TACC but not AP (autosteer).
I it much less now that I’m in FSDb, but I use cruise control quite often when I’m driving around town. I found it’s the best way to keep me from speeding, especially in my model Y that has so much torque and response to the accelerator.

I agree with you, though. TACC is getting better but in general has been consistently worse than any other Adaptive cruise system I’ve used, Primarily due to Phantom breaking.

I'm not sure if it's getting worse or I am just noticing this more as I become more and more used to living on autopilot. This seems to occur when accelerating for things like traffic turning in front of me and the TACC taking to long to continue to normal speed after having kicked out of autpilot, switching lanes to overtake a slower car, etc. In these cases it downgrades to TACC and works most of the time, but often enough this situation happens instead and it fails to regain speed. Actually, it's worse, it SLOWS down, at max regen! Dangerous and unsettling honestly.

v 2022.28.2

Reactions: JonB65
I'm not sure if it's getting worse or I am just noticing this more as I become more and more used to living on autopilot. This seems to occur when accelerating for things like traffic turning in front of me and the TACC taking to long to continue to normal speed after having kicked out of autpilot, switching lanes to overtake a slower car, etc. In these cases it downgrades to TACC and works most of the time, but often enough this situation happens instead and it fails to regain speed. Actually, it's worse, it SLOWS down, at max regen! Dangerous and unsettling honestly.

v 2022.28.2
I was actually noticing that it’s gotten better for me (2022.20.18, FSD 10.69.2.3). Hopefully it doesn’t get worse again!