Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC Speedometer Icon to Left of Current Speed Indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I set a CC speed, the little gray icon to the left of the current speed indicator turns bright, and the speed I've selected is displayed. I recently noticed the word "MAX' appearing over the speed, and don't remember seeing it before.

Has 'MAX' been there all along, and I just didn't notice? If not, when did it creep in?
To what extent is 'MAX' the maximum of anything?

On firmware 8.1 18.26, BTW.

If you have TACC, it has always been there while cruise is active. It is the maximum speed TACC will drive until/unless you increase it (it will go slower when you are behind a slower vehicle). When you are driving and TACC is not engaged, the number shows you what a quick engagement will set the speed to.

ETA: To elaborate on the second point, if you have the "speed limit warning" set to "relative" and you are driving below said relative speed limit, it will display the relative speed there (and pulling the stalk back will set that speed) unless it is remembering a previous cruising speed that you have not exceeded while no speed limit changes have occurred since disengaging. Once you exceed the displayed speed and/or the relative speed limit, it will display your speed until you get below the relative speed limit again. While driving lower than the speed displayed, you can set cruise directly to your speed by moving the stalk up or down instead of pulling back.