Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC undertaking firmware change request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having had my Tesla for a month now I am getting slightly frustrated with the TACC feature (Although I also love it!).

In the UK its illegal to 'undertake' cars on a motorway (unlike when I drive in the US). This means that if I am driving down the inside lane of a 2 or 3 lane road and a car is in one of the outside lanes i have to either keep adjusting the TACC speed or turn it off/on to stop the car illegally undertaking the other car.

It would be great to have an 'Limit Undertaking' feature that had 3 options like 'None / No Left Undertaking / No Right Undertaking' so that this could be turned on/off for countries that drive on the left or right side etc. This could then detect a car in the outside lane and slow down to not pass the car based on the setting.

Having had my Tesla for a month now I am getting slightly frustrated with the TACC feature (Although I also love it!).

In the UK its illegal to 'undertake' cars on a motorway (unlike when I drive in the US). This means that if I am driving down the inside lane of a 2 or 3 lane road and a car is in one of the outside lanes i have to either keep adjusting the TACC speed or turn it off/on to stop the car illegally undertaking the other car.

It would be great to have an 'Limit Undertaking' feature that had 3 options like 'None / No Left Undertaking / No Right Undertaking' so that this could be turned on/off for countries that drive on the left or right side etc. This could then detect a car in the outside lane and slow down to not pass the car based on the setting.
So I suppose you can just change lanes to be behind that vehicle, if possible.

Sounds like a good feature to add for areas where that law is enforced.

That would work to limit speed but it’s illegal in the uk to drive down the middle lane with no one in the inside lane so you could end up getting stopped by the police or caught by traffic cameras etc. I know the other person is also doing it but I guess it still doesn’t make it legal.

There is a hidden feature if you want to undertake...you can tap the accelerator and the car in the adjacent lane goes from white to grey. As long as you stay in your current lane you can continue to undertake. Once you change lanes the system resets itself and prevents undertaking again. I agree it is a nuisance. Here in the UAE they are phasing out this feature with the latest update for AP2. With AP2 I have not noticed any restriction on undertaking.

There is a hidden feature if you want to undertake...you can tap the accelerator and the car in the adjacent lane goes from white to grey. As long as you stay in your current lane you can continue to undertake. Once you change lanes the system resets itself and prevents undertaking again. I agree it is a nuisance. Here in the UAE they are phasing out this feature with the latest update for AP2. With AP2 I have not noticed any restriction on undertaking.

Sorry I meant "phasing it out for AP1". Undertaking is not a problem in AP2.

:) in the UAE any lane is fair for overtaking... in the UK it's illegal to pass on the left, and it'd be nice (and a lot safer) if TACC didn't pass illegally.

True. When driving in the UK on AP1 I never had a need to undertake, it really wasn't an issue. In the UAE with many roads having 4 and 5 lanes, if you don't want to live in the passing lane then undertaking is necessary because nobody is willing to move out of their lane.

I've just recently observed that TACC and Autopilot now seem to behave 'correctly' and avoid undertaking. It must have been a recent changes since I definitely saw the behaviour the OP described until recently.

I'm in the UK with an AP2 Model S, firmware 2019.12.1.1.

I've just recently observed that TACC and Autopilot now seem to behave 'correctly' and avoid undertaking. It must have been a recent changes since I definitely saw the behaviour the OP described until recently.

I'm in the UK with an AP2 Model S, firmware 2019.12.1.1.

I have found it doesn’t undertaken on TACC but does on autopilot. Maybe something to do with navigate on autopilot config?