Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC vs Adaptive Cruise Control - is there any difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I got used to driving on Cruise Control in the Honda Civic, but it was first generationny and would have put me into the car in front if that car were going slower than I was. Still it made the 80 mile round trip commute a lot easier

Then I got the PriusV with Adaptive Cruise control and found I could drive all the way from Dallas to Houston with my feet on the floor and it would take care of watching for slower vehicles in front of me. There were occasional false slow downs when going round a bend or changing two lanes at once, but all in all it was a huge improvement. Perhaps the only bad thing was that it would cut out after decaying to 21mph, but at least it would give a tiny beep as a warning. IIRC the Ioniq that I had for a week (thanks Carvana) would keep its Adaptive Cruise Control all the way to zero

So here's my question: Is there any difference between the Prius Adaptive Cruise Control and the Tesla Traffic Aware Cruise Control? Or is it just a matter of naming or branding?

I wonder how many of these deceleration events are interpreted as phantom braking. I've seen quite a few folks in phantom braking threads who mentioned that it occurred when they were passing someone.
I have multiple vehicles with ACC. Phantom braking can happen in our other cars but exceedingly rare depending the sunlight, shadow, weather, ect. On the MY, it can appear to be completely random but more often when approaching an overpass or merging cars (or appears to be merging).

TACC has far more phantom braking events than any other adaptive cruise control I've ever used. After my last trip, I got so tired of it I stopped using it totally.

It almost resulted in 2 accidents for me when it slammed on the brakes with someone following me. I think the old radar enabled one was better based on the test drives I took. The vision only version clearly isn't ready for prime time based on my experience.

I've got it!

It IS random and when it happens, a signal is sent to Fremont and another VIN gets issued, or maybe an EDD gets updated. Either way we obviously need those events to continue !

If that is the case, I issued at least 26 VIN's on my 26 mile drive home from work yesterday morning... I suspect I will do so again this morning :(

Keith

Last edited:
TACC has far more phantom braking events than any other adaptive cruise control I've ever used. After my last trip, I got so tired of it I stopped using it totally.

It almost resulted in 2 accidents for me when it slammed on the brakes with someone following me. I think the old radar enabled one was better based on the test drives I took. The vision only version clearly isn't ready for prime time based on my experience.

The sad part is that pure vision CAN operate TACC wonderfully. My car worked great with the software it had back at the end of Jun, worked great with the update I got in July that raised my AP speed limit to 80, and then became a living nightmare with the last update I got (2021.4.21.3) I have been suffering on this software for over a month now waiting impatiently for an update that restores TACC functionality.

Keith

Reactions: growler23
The Tesla TACC will go down to 0mph I believe, just like Autopilot. Otherwise, it's an adaptative cruise pretty much. It keeps your speed but slows down if there's someone in front. You can adjust the distance from front. You need to steer.
"Just like Autopilot" is a category error here.

Autopilot is a suite of features that includes TACC, automatic lanekeeping, etc. Even FSD is a subset of Autopilot. From the manual:

These Autopilot convenience features are
designed to reduce driver workload:

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (see Traffic- Aware Cruise Control on page 85)
  • Autosteer (see Autosteer on page 91)
  • Auto Lane Change (see Auto Lane
    Change on page 93)
  • Autopark (see Autopark on page 98)
  • Summon (see Summon on page 100)
  • Smart Summon (Smart Summon on page
    103)
  • Navigate on Autopilot (see Navigate on
    Autopilot on page 95)
  • Stop Light and Stop Sign Warning (see
    Stop Light and Stop Sign Warning (U.S. only) on page 94

I haven't had any issues, yet, with TACC, but I also realize that Tesla is not a TACC-focused company. There's a lot going on in these cars, they're super computers on wheels. None of FSD, or even assisted-driving is going to be perfect, Tesla will ALWAYS err on the side of caution. If you're going to flip over these imperfections, buy a Honda Accord.