Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC works when used properly, in my car at least

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
We've had some threads where folks have lamented TACC "not working". In my experience, it's working well -- and within design parameters.

Case in point: Today I drove from Bellevue to Port Orchard with TACC set at 70mph with a following distance of "4". TACC was engaged the entire 63 mi. freeway portion of the trip; friction brakes were never activated. TACC was deactivated when I used the brakes while approaching the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp.

TACC_Bellevue_To_PortOrchard.png

Edit: Firmware version .188

Last edited:
Likewise! I'm glad to see your post. It's only been a few weeks as an owner for me, but so far, I am quite enamored with TACC, and use it frequently. It comes in quite handy during stop and go traffic, I find. Sure, I have seen oddities when people unexpectedly cut in at high speed and the like, but I find this hardly different than dealing with such situations without TACC. We're supposed to be paying attention in any case, right? I for one, love it, and look forward to future innovations to come!

Two major caution situations,

1. Traffic merging into your lane is ignored, and your car, under TACC speed control,
might speed up, or slow down, just at the wrong time, like you were trying to actively
block the merging car. There has been one such collision reported.

2. Stopped or abruptly slowing traffic ahead is not always perceived correctly, and
your car might not slow or stop in time to avoid a collision, even though there was
plenty of time to slow and stop. Be ready to use your brakes, or deactivate TACC
and handle the situation safely.

Note, I am still on the 2.4.188 revision.

TACC works very well. Each software update changes behavior a bit to react quicker or slower to changes. You still need to be aware of your surroundings and not let automation get into trouble.